Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

Are the Airpods as shitty and uncomfortable as the standard iPhone headphones? If so, I'll have to consider other options for my next phone. Thankfully, I won't need one for another year or two.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Non-Actuary

Sounds like for $49 you can buy the iphone lightning dock which includes a lightning connector for the headphones and allows you to charge your phone at the same time .

I think I'll stick with the exploding Samsung option for now. Though one of these days I'll have to start a help me find a new phone thread as my Samsung G4 is getting a bit long in the tooth and is interfering with my ability to play Pokemon Go... stupid battery only lasts about an hour.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Screw Apple and their proprietary crap and closed ecosystem.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Non-Actuary

Thinking about it a bit more, the stupidity of using the lightning adapter to connect your headphones to an iphone is that it's proprietary. The courageous move for Apple would have been to switch to the USB C connection that the other mobile phone companies are using and use a USB C type connection for their headphones. Doing that widens the market substantially for headphone makers and would probably be better for consumers. A lot more third party manufacturers could produce the splitters and what not, resulting in substantially cheaper accessories with probably minimal impact on Apple's bottom line.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:07 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

The stupidity of the adapter isn't that it's proprietary but that Apple is seriously asking iPhone users to use something so ghetto as an adapter. Adapters are for people who don't have the right things but want to cobble them together to make do anyways. That is not the Apple ethos. It's just boneheaded for Apple's branding.

Criticizing Apple for not using a more widely used standard seems odd. Like criticizing Apple for being Apple.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
The stupidity of the adapter isn't that it's proprietary but that Apple is seriously asking iPhone users to use something so ghetto as an adapter. Adapters are for people who don't have the right things but want to cobble them together to make do anyways. That is not the Apple ethos. It's just boneheaded for Apple's branding.

Criticizing Apple for not using a more widely used standard seems odd. Like criticizing Apple for being Apple.
Not sure that it's particularly odd. They've had a lot of non-proprietary things over the years (e.g. 3 1/2 inch floppy drives, cd/dvd drives, ethernet, usb, sd card readers, 3.5 mm audio jack etc.). How many things have there been where they've gone from a non-proprietary standard to a proprietary one?

Also, I kind of think you're a bit off-base on the Apple way and adapters. For many of the newer macs you have to use all sorts of adapters (e.g. ethernet, for connecting your computer to an external monitor or projector, etc.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:28 AM

I'm kind of surprised that apple didn't introduce a wireless 3.5m jack. Along with wireless Iphone charging. *surprised before the leaks started coming out.

It was a pretty lackluster event. If apple can crack the health biometric stuff, they'll get some of that hype back.

Apple does love them some adapters. The external cd player when they killed it cd players. The usb-c is all adapter friendly.

Last edited by oblivious; 09-09-2016 at 01:34 AM..
Old 09-09-2016, 01:13 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
The most mind boggling part for me is that they do already use USB-C on the Macbook, so it is not unprecedented. Why they wouldn't switch to it for the iPhone, I don't know - other than the obvious, that they love proprietary lock in.

As far as the need for an adapter, I feel like Steve Jobs would have just as easily said, "If you see an adapter, they've already failed." He would be appalled at the Pencil and the 3.5mm adapter, I think.

On a note related to the charging of the Pencil, have you seen a Magic Mouse charging? The port is in the bottom, so you have to turn it on its back to charge, rendering it 100% useless during charging. W. T. F.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
Thinking about it a bit more, the stupidity of using the lightning adapter to connect your headphones to an iphone is that it's proprietary. The courageous move for Apple would have been to switch to the USB C connection that the other mobile phone companies are using and use a USB C type connection for their headphones. Doing that widens the market substantially for headphone makers and would probably be better for consumers. A lot more third party manufacturers could produce the splitters and what not, resulting in substantially cheaper accessories with probably minimal impact on Apple's bottom line.
Quote:
Sounds like for $49 you can buy the iphone lightning dock which includes a lightning connector for the headphones and allows you to charge your phone at the same time .

I think I'll stick with the exploding Samsung option for now. Though one of these days I'll have to start a help me find a new phone thread as my Samsung G4 is getting a bit long in the tooth and is interfering with my ability to play Pokemon Go... stupid battery only lasts about an hour.
That picture made it look like that thing was a little phone width/depth type device that would attach to the bottom of your phone. It is not.

Check out the pictures here.

Product dimensions: 2.8 x 1.2 x 0.4 inches
Old 09-09-2016, 03:07 PM
SOA

Quote:

So how long does this thing last before that lightning nub snaps off?