Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-26-2019, 01:09 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Huh, I'm surprised. I know several people who started walking everywhere instead of driving and lost weight. One friend moved to Paris, and started eating tons of fatty cheese, and other rich, delicious foods, but also had to walk every day for all her errands, and dropped 15 or 20 pounds. I gained ten pounds when I moved from the city to the burbs and started driving instead of walking. My diet was probably better after I moved. But people are different.
I think the biggest reason why people don't lose weight from exercise alone is that they end up consuming more calories because they're exercising. That's why you may see the suggestion to separate the two.

If weight is a concern - then focus on your diet.
Exercise regardless of your weight.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for G&H DP-A+FV-A
Favorite beer: Yuengling

RE:Grocery ordering - I use Walmart Grocery pickup (delivery isn't available where I live). It's ridiculously cheap, and online ordering has many benefits that have already been described in this thread. The key for me wrt meal planning is that we just eat the same things all the time.

My lunches are this: Every weekend I cook up some boneless chicken and I steam a bunch of broccoli. If necessary I open a can of beans, but usually we have some sort of starchy leftovers I can use. Those 3 things split into 5 containers, and I put Chipotle Ranch over top of them all. I've come to love this lunch and look forward to it daily. It's very filling too.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Non-Actuary

We get groceries delivered and plan dinners ourselves. It's because we don't like shopping for groceries and it's more convenient to order online. I can see it helping plan meals. Fresh vegs don't come cheap though
Old 09-26-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
...My wife is an extremely picky eater, which has been a pretty big contributor to my unhealthy food choices, as all my healthier bachelor recipes she wouldn't eat, and I do all the cooking. She is supportive and on board for me trying or doing anything for my health, as long as she doesn't have to do it too. Kind of complicated, probably a topic for another thread....
Quote:
...Pretty much everything and anything. Lots of processed food, refined sugar, etc. Home baked cookies, store bought cookies, ice cream, donuts, pizza, basic fast food, chocolate...

The second question is pretty much 100% the issue here. She always wants these things, and because she's very picky, I usually cave. I feel bad saying no and making / getting something healthy, then need to make something else for her. She eats smaller portions though, and is somehow still around 100 pounds, but I'm suspecting it's catching up to her in other ways (sleep / other physical symptoms besides fat/weight gain)....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Is this a typical scenario:
Her: Ooh, lets's get pizza.
You: sure.
She proceeds to eat one or two slices, and you eat the rest.

Her: Ooh, bake some cookies.
You: sure.
She proceeds to eat one or two cookies, and you eat the other 22.
Quote:
Yeah this is pretty much it exactly. I have no self control. I think these scenarios would be a lot less frequent if I had a plan of meals to make and was more diligent in being prepared to make them, which is where I'm hoping trying out home delivery of either meal prep kits or basic groceries might help in a big way.
Rickie has a suggestion for your wife's junk food. Buy her a pink floral cookie jar. Any junk food she wants goes in the jar. Then, after she eats her two cookies, the other 22 just sit in the jar until she wants them (or until they go bad and she throws them out.) You don't touch what's in the jar. It's just not there for you. Rickie also says, "hey, even cheaper than buying her a cookie jar, make one out of an empty tampon container".
Old 09-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for G&H DP-A+FV-A
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Rickie has a suggestion for your wife's junk food. Buy her a pink floral cookie jar.
I like this idea of the junk food jar, I may get one for my au pair. My previous au pairs all ate very little, mostly spinach and avocados, but this new one subsists on pop tarts and iced coffee. Having chocolate pop tarts in my house is torture! And of course she's like "help yourself" and I'm like I also feel a little guilty saying"I'm trying not to eat too much sugar, I'm trying to lose weight" because she's a lot heavier than me and I don't want her to feel judged.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:27 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
I like this idea of the junk food jar, I may get one for my au pair. My previous au pairs all ate very little, mostly spinach and avocados, but this new one subsists on pop tarts and iced coffee. Having chocolate pop tarts in my house is torture! And of course she's like "help yourself" and I'm like I also feel a little guilty saying"I'm trying not to eat too much sugar, I'm trying to lose weight" because she's a lot heavier than me and I don't want her to feel judged.
what if after hearing you say that she decides to join you? win/win