Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-05-2006, 12:00 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female
Default An AO Weight Loss Support Group?

ok, it's a new year, and many want to shed some pounds and be healthier overall. i've seen a few threads relating to weight loss, and i started thinking how we can all help each other out. i did ww in the past and it works IF you stick to it. that's the key to any program...sticking to it.

so...why dont we do something here. i am in thinking mode, don't have anything specific in mind. things i am thinking of are:

- weekly weigh-ins...you dont have to say your real weight unless you want to, but at least say the # of pounds lost (or..gulp..gained)
- we can encourage each other to stay on track through posts, pms, chat.
- we can provide info on what excerises we enjoy, recipes to share, great low cal/low fat/etc food finds, etc.

i guess this is almost sounding like the discussion board portion of ww. but i'd like to try something amongst us.

for me personally, i am starting monday...eating better and excercising regularly. will spend time this weekend planning out some routines i'd like to get back into. when i was doing ww, i had a good schedule of meals and exercise going...then holidays and a new boyfriend came around and ... ww went out the door...but that's a diff story.

so, who is interested? any ideas on what more to do here on the ao? like i said, i have nothing specific in mind...just looking for another avenue for support and motivation. i know from experience, it helps me to be accountable to others and not just myself.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:12 PM

I'm in. As noted in another thread, I've recently lost 50 pounds. Would be pretty happy staying here, but would be ecstatic to lose some more. And I agree - having someone to sort of answer to is likely to help me stay on track.

I also might be able to point some folks to some online resources if needed as they are getting started.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:12 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing
College: Georgia State University - Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by I MUST PASS
ok, it's a new year, and many want to shed some pounds and be healthier overall. i've seen a few threads relating to weight loss, and i started thinking how we can all help each other out. i did ww in the past and it works IF you stick to it. that's the key to any program...sticking to it.

so...why dont we do something here. i am in thinking mode, don't have anything specific in mind. things i am thinking of are:

- weekly weigh-ins...you dont have to say your real weight unless you want to, but at least say the # of pounds lost (or..gulp..gained)
- we can encourage each other to stay on track through posts, pms, chat.
- we can provide info on what excerises we enjoy, recipes to share, great low cal/low fat/etc food finds, etc.

i guess this is almost sounding like the discussion board portion of ww. but i'd like to try something amongst us.

for me personally, i am starting monday...eating better and excercising regularly. will spend time this weekend planning out some routines i'd like to get back into. when i was doing ww, i had a good schedule of meals and exercise going...then holidays and a new boyfriend came around and ... ww went out the door...but that's a diff story.

so, who is interested? any ideas on what more to do here on the ao? like i said, i have nothing specific in mind...just looking for another avenue for support and motivation. i know from experience, it helps me to be accountable to others and not just myself.
For now, I'll just say I'm in. Started mine this week. Will weigh in (pun intended) w/ideas later! Let's see if we can keep it up, and how many of us reach goal!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:17 PM
SOA

Studying for CSP - ILA
Favorite beer: Summit IPA

GREAT IDEA, IMP !!!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Wonderboy
CAS

Studying for kitchen utensilry degree
College: Crazy Go Nuts University
Favorite beer: Sam Adams, Dos Equis, Arrogant Hagbard, Clydesdale Juice

Sign my fat ass up!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:30 PM

I was starting to think this was going to be all chicks, but with Roto and Jables, I will join too.

I am going to start with my final weight from my companies contest that ended 1/4.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:31 PM

I have to say, the WW poll has already been helpful to me; esp. micaelagb's recipe contributions. I'd be up for it.

This week's weigh in: 210. Target weight: 180. Dieting approach: WW. Exercise du jour: walking and yoga.

Inspirational thought for the week:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalman Schacter-Shalomi & Donald Gropman
...if we have a pet dog, we don't forget that it's a mammal - we feed it and walk it so that it can relieve itself and get some exercise, or its digestive system won't work right. Walking is good for the dog, so we walk it every opportunity we have. When it comes to ourselves, however, most of us treat walking intransitively. We're willing to walk Rover or Fido, but we're reluctant to walk ourselves...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:35 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing
College: Georgia State University - Alumni

K, so along the lines of this being support. I went out to lunch today w/coworkers. I got a spinach and lettuce salad w/blue cheese crumbles, walnuts, craisins, and a vinigrette gargonzola dressing. The salad was in a big restaurant bowl, but it was somewhat shallow. My target caloric intake for lunch is about 300 calories. Anybody care to hazard a guess of how badly I might have gone over that target?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
SykoChikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie
K, so along the lines of this being support. I went out to lunch today w/coworkers. I got a spinach and lettuce salad w/blue cheese crumbles, walnuts, craisins, and a vinigrette gargonzola dressing. The salad was in a big restaurant bowl, but it was somewhat shallow. My target caloric intake for lunch is about 300 calories. Anybody care to hazard a guess of how badly I might have gone over that target?
As usual, it's the dressing that killed you. Did you get it on the side or on it?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:38 PM
SOA

Calories in salad is practically completely dependent on the dressing... so if it was light, that'd be fine. It's hard to know without seeing it though.

I lost 6.5 lbs from yesterday to today, but that was mostly because I threw up four times. Four cheers for bulimia!