Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM

How does the ABCD work? Do they make recommendations to the Board regarding disciplinary action and the Board decides?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV View Post
I would consider removal from an elected position to be discipline.
I would too, but I don't consider the PE position elected. I consider it an appointment by the Board of Directors. He wasn't removed from the position of President; he simply never took office.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
Did anyone really think, as Bruce claims in his suit, that when the AAA pres said that no discipline would be considered that the pres meant anything other that the type of discipline that is given subsequent a recommendation from the ABCD?

To say that the ousting of the P-E was the type of discipline the pres specifically said would not happen, seems disingenuous at the least.
I basically agree. But in the transcript, the AAA is being at least as disingenuous when it claims that the intent of the 8/5 meeting (i.e. removing Bruce) should have been clear to everyone from the 7/14 email. In fact, all the email said was that the issue brought up in the past presidents' letter would be discussed. It seems like a weighty matter such as removing your incoming president ought to be (and is probably required to be) communicated in advance in order to give all parties a chance to prepare.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Favorite beer: Piel's

I wonder how many (non)billable hours have been buried in this thread.

248 viewing as I breeze by.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
To say that the ousting of the P-E was the type of discipline the pres specifically said would not happen, seems disingenuous at the least.
According to the transcript, the judge agrees with you. (I think "ludicrous" was the judge's word actually but I'm too lazy to look it up.)
Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Did anyone really think, as Bruce claims in his suit, that when the AAA pres said that no discipline would be considered that the pres meant anything other that the type of discipline that is given subsequent a recommendation from the ABCD?

Well, if you consider the position to be an "entitlement" once "earned", then it's a punishment.
Someone tells us that God loves us as a father loves his children. We are reassured. But then something awful happens. Some qualification is made.... We are reassured again. But then perhaps we ask: what is this assurance of God's (appropriately qualified) love worth, what is this apparent guarantee really a guarantee against? Just what would have to happen not merely (morally and wrongly) to tempt but also (logically and rightly) to entitle us to say "God does not love us" or even "God does not exist"?
-- Antony Flew
Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:

Well, had I been in his shoes I would have taken that statement at face value. I guess that's just me. I think your slant is silly. But that's just me, too, I guess. My dad always said "Say what you mean and mean what you say. The world can't function correctly if people do otherwise."

P.S. He also said "But son, never forget that some people are lying a**holes."

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Old 09-09-2009, 05:04 PM

Favorite beer: Kirin Ichiban

"The president-elect, Bruce Schobel, is one of America’s foremost authorities on the Social Security system. He is also a onetime convicted felon who, according to court records, served time three decades ago for “assault with a dangerous weapon while demanding property” in New Jersey. Few know this, though, because his record has been expunged."

WTF - was Bruce in the mafia before becoming an actuary?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gile View Post
Well, had I been in his shoes I would have taken that statement at face value. I guess that's just me. I think your slant is silly. But that's just me, too, I guess. My dad always said "Say what you mean and mean what you say. The world can't function correctly if people do otherwise."

P.S. He also said "But son, never forget that some people are lying a**holes."
your dad was Horton the elephant?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Spazz Legend

College: Guelph
Favorite beer: Meinstrohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professional View Post
"The president-elect, Bruce Schobel, is one of America’s foremost authorities on the Social Security system. He is also a onetime convicted felon who, according to court records, served time three decades ago for “assault with a dangerous weapon while demanding property” in New Jersey. Few know this, though, because his record has been expunged."

WTF - was Bruce in the mafia before becoming an actuary?
No it was after.
He was actually pretty powerful. He was at a certain point the head of a secretive group known to insiders as the "AAA".

Tags
aaa, bruce schobel