Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
But, again, the real issue is not why the Academy Board did what it did but how they did it. In fact, that is the only issue being litigated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Mike View Post
I disagree 100%. This is positively about the why, not about the how. If the "why" wasn't the issue, this would have never gotten this far. Even in the court proceedings, the "why" is a huge part of the defamation portion of the suit.
The why matters, perhaps, for the defamation. The how matters more (at least to me) in terms of accountability of the governance to the members, due process, etc. Can they do what they did?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:
I think, certainly, you (whoever you are) are entitled to an opinion and entitled to voice it.

However, I trust that the actuaries on this site (and there is ample evidence that my trust is well placed) have more honor and integrity than to let your anonymous diatribe ruin a perfectly good day.

I am sure they are mostly convinced that you have missed the most important issue here - the membership's lack of control of a very important professional organization in the U.S. In fact, they may also mostly agree that the leadership of what we all hope continues to be an esteemed and well respected profession has also lost control.

You, in my opinion, are a good example of everything that is currently wrong with our profession. No one with honor, integrity, and confidence in their points of view would argue them from the dark shadow of anonymity. And, no one in their right mind should give opinions so stated even a nevermind.

I have deliberately stayed out of this thread. I could remain silent no longer.

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater

Studying for nication

The why is relevant, and, if the board had been happy enough with the why to get the 2/3rd's majority, then the how would be fine too. I don't think we have all the facts right now to judge the why, all I see is it's enough to cast doubt, but not strong enough to be certain, and, given who is on which side I'm still on the pro Bruce side at this point.
Now 20% less conceivable!
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I'm disturbed by lots of things here

1) The lack of transparency and forthrightness from the Academy
2) Selection of a president with a very serious felony conviction or at least Academy not informing its mebership of the conviction.
3) Legal dispute regarding the Sanford incident.

The Academy could have a lot to say regarding insurance, pensions, health care reform, and social security but instead is getting coverage in the Times over this crap.
If the record was expunged then how would the Academy know? Why would Bruce be required to disclose it? If the record is expunged then it's as if it never happened. Should be a non issue.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:05 PM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
The why matters, perhaps, for the defamation. The how matters more (at least to me) in terms of accountability of the governance to the members, due process, etc. Can they do what they did?
Yes, you are, I believe, correct. My point is that the Academy is being sued for removing the President-Elect illegally. The Academy has not claimed it was a removal "for cause" and, in fact, provided no reason or "why" in their very frugal announcement.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 6

Is "assault with a deadly legal team while demanding presidency" a felony? The AAA seems poised to get a taste of what Bruce is capable of, and I don't see how the academy is going to come out of this without at least a few permanent scars.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 9
Favorite beer: Blue Moon and Shock Top

Quote:
I think, certainly, you (whoever you are) are entitled to an opinion and entitled to voice it.

However, I trust that the actuaries on this site (and there is ample evidence that my trust is well placed) have more honor and integrity than to let your anonymous diatribe ruin a perfectly good day.

I am sure they are mostly convinced that you have missed the most important issue here - the membership's lack of control of a very important professional organization in the U.S. In fact, they may also mostly agree that the leadership of what we all hope continues to be an esteemed and well respected profession has also lost control.

You, in my opinion, are a good example of everything that is currently wrong with our profession. No one with honor, integrity, and confidence in their points of view would argue them from the dark shadow of anonymity. And, no one in their right mind should give opinions so stated even a nevermind.
So are you going to respond to the message or just attack the messenger?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
How right you are. Sanford told me in 2002 that she knew about an expunged conviction. She was fired in 2006. No connection whatsoever.

Bruce
Yet you lost the lawsuit and had to pay her $2 million?

I mean you didn't lose a lawsuit.

Thanks!
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree

Last edited by The Drunken Actuary; 09-08-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

So instead of advising public policy on the aging populace, health care reform, the value of insurance, social security policy, etc. we're gonna spend possibly millions of dollars and the next year on this crap. Genius.
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
So instead of advising public policy on the aging populace, health care reform, the value of insurance, social security policy, etc. we're gonna spend possibly millions of dollars and the next year on this crap. Genius.
So, a hike in our membership dues then?

Tags
aaa, bruce schobel