Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.


General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM
llcooljabe's Avatar
llcooljabe llcooljabe is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 22,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
But, again, the real issue is not why the Academy Board did what it did but how they did it. In fact, that is the only issue being litigated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Mike View Post
I disagree 100%. This is positively about the why, not about the how. If the "why" wasn't the issue, this would have never gotten this far. Even in the court proceedings, the "why" is a huge part of the defamation portion of the suit.
The why matters, perhaps, for the defamation. The how matters more (at least to me) in terms of accountability of the governance to the members, due process, etc. Can they do what they did?
__________________
www.GoodNewsNow.info
Propoganda
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Brad Gile's Avatar
Brad Gile Brad Gile is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison
Posts: 11,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
I think, certainly, you (whoever you are) are entitled to an opinion and entitled to voice it.

However, I trust that the actuaries on this site (and there is ample evidence that my trust is well placed) have more honor and integrity than to let your anonymous diatribe ruin a perfectly good day.

I am sure they are mostly convinced that you have missed the most important issue here - the membership's lack of control of a very important professional organization in the U.S. In fact, they may also mostly agree that the leadership of what we all hope continues to be an esteemed and well respected profession has also lost control.

You, in my opinion, are a good example of everything that is currently wrong with our profession. No one with honor, integrity, and confidence in their points of view would argue them from the dark shadow of anonymity. And, no one in their right mind should give opinions so stated even a nevermind.

I have deliberately stayed out of this thread. I could remain silent no longer.
__________________
Brad Gile, FSA, MAAA
Affiliate Member of the CAS
Dedicated Retired Actuary

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA


Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
asdfasdf's Avatar
asdfasdf asdfasdf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: My perception of reality
Studying for nication
Posts: 20,076
Default

The why is relevant, and, if the board had been happy enough with the why to get the 2/3rd's majority, then the how would be fine too. I don't think we have all the facts right now to judge the why, all I see is it's enough to cast doubt, but not strong enough to be certain, and, given who is on which side I'm still on the pro Bruce side at this point.
__________________
Your own conciousness blinds you to the true existence of all things external to it.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Inconceivable's Avatar
Inconceivable Inconceivable is offline
Now 20% less conceivable!
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 33,862
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I'm disturbed by lots of things here

1) The lack of transparency and forthrightness from the Academy
2) Selection of a president with a very serious felony conviction or at least Academy not informing its mebership of the conviction.
3) Legal dispute regarding the Sanford incident.

The Academy could have a lot to say regarding insurance, pensions, health care reform, and social security but instead is getting coverage in the Times over this crap.
If the record was expunged then how would the Academy know? Why would Bruce be required to disclose it? If the record is expunged then it's as if it never happened. Should be a non issue.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:05 PM
tbakos's Avatar
tbakos tbakos is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!
Posts: 2,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
The why matters, perhaps, for the defamation. The how matters more (at least to me) in terms of accountability of the governance to the members, due process, etc. Can they do what they did?
Yes, you are, I believe, correct. My point is that the Academy is being sued for removing the President-Elect illegally. The Academy has not claimed it was a removal "for cause" and, in fact, provided no reason or "why" in their very frugal announcement.
__________________
TomB

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
nittanylions's Avatar
nittanylions nittanylions is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Studying for CAS 6
Posts: 283
Default

Is "assault with a deadly legal team while demanding presidency" a felony? The AAA seems poised to get a taste of what Bruce is capable of, and I don't see how the academy is going to come out of this without at least a few permanent scars.
__________________
fight for peace and happiness and never give up
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Keep It Real, Yo's Avatar
Keep It Real, Yo Keep It Real, Yo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Studying for CAS 9
Favorite beer: Blue Moon and Shock Top
Posts: 15,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
I think, certainly, you (whoever you are) are entitled to an opinion and entitled to voice it.

However, I trust that the actuaries on this site (and there is ample evidence that my trust is well placed) have more honor and integrity than to let your anonymous diatribe ruin a perfectly good day.

I am sure they are mostly convinced that you have missed the most important issue here - the membership's lack of control of a very important professional organization in the U.S. In fact, they may also mostly agree that the leadership of what we all hope continues to be an esteemed and well respected profession has also lost control.

You, in my opinion, are a good example of everything that is currently wrong with our profession. No one with honor, integrity, and confidence in their points of view would argue them from the dark shadow of anonymity. And, no one in their right mind should give opinions so stated even a nevermind.
So are you going to respond to the message or just attack the messenger?
__________________
Vomik: will you... will you be my life coach?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
The Drunken Actuary's Avatar
The Drunken Actuary The Drunken Actuary is offline
Member
CAS SOA Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Favorite beer: Early and Often
Posts: 84,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
How right you are. Sanford told me in 2002 that she knew about an expunged conviction. She was fired in 2006. No connection whatsoever.

Bruce
Yet you lost the lawsuit and had to pay her $2 million?

I mean you didn't lose a lawsuit.

Thanks!
__________________
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree

Last edited by The Drunken Actuary; 09-08-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Jack's Avatar
Jack Jack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: 100 Luten Avenue, 10312
Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer
Posts: 14,880
Default

So instead of advising public policy on the aging populace, health care reform, the value of insurance, social security policy, etc. we're gonna spend possibly millions of dollars and the next year on this crap. Genius.
__________________
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Smurf Smurf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
So instead of advising public policy on the aging populace, health care reform, the value of insurance, social security policy, etc. we're gonna spend possibly millions of dollars and the next year on this crap. Genius.
So, a hike in our membership dues then?
__________________
Bleu, bleu, mon monde est bleu...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aaa, bruce schobel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.25425 seconds with 10 queries