Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Default TIA - GH FV - Fall 2019 Online Course - Restructuring, Early Registration, FAQ

The TIA GH FV online course is up and running for Fall 2019!

As you know, there were significant changes to the FSA Health track released at the start of this month. We have put together a syllabus change overview and also a more detailed listing of syllabus source material changes.

Videos and Detailed Outlines/Summaries are fully available for every reading except for new Study Notes. Study materials for new readings will be made available after the SOA makes the Study Notes available for purchase in early June. Supplemental material (e.g. full length practice exam and practice problems based on the case study) will come in during the next month or two as we finish up the extra pieces based on the new syllabi.

FAQ - Transitional Credit - DP-A / FV-A and DP-C / FV-C Combo Products
For students with credit for the Core or Advanced exam, you will need to take the transitional exams - either DP-A + FV-A or DP-C + FV-C. We will fully support these transitional exams, and our products will be available to cover your specific situation. We are offering the following four products for Fall 2019:

1. DP Online Course
2. FV Online Course
3. DP-A + FV-A Online Course
4. DP-C + FV-C Online Course
#1 and #2 are available for purchase. I expect #3 and #4 to be ready within the next week. With the transition, we want to make sure we have the right products for students in all situations, so we've been reconfiguring the website and making sure things are working properly.

FAQ - Early Registration
We are frequently asked by students if you can purchase a GH-FV online course without knowing if you passed your previous exam attempt. You do not need to wait for results to begin the FV online course. If you later find out that you didn't pass your last exam, simply email us at customerservice@theinfiniteactuary.com, and we will pause access to your new online course. This will preserve your new online course allowing you to study for your last exam again. When you are ready to resume the paused online course, just email us, and we will reactivate it. You will have access to all current materials (same as anyone else using the online course at that time).

For those of you unfamiliar with the product, it's much more than just an online seminar - it's a full package offering Detailed Outlines, Condensed Outlines, Flashcards (apps and printable), Sample Problems, Sample Exam, Exam Tips and Strategies, Case Study Review, Student Forums and Video Lessons covering every single reading on the syllabus!

APPS!
Flashcard App
We rolled out a fantastic flashcard app for both iPhone and Android in 2017, and the feedback from students has been very positive! This app allows you to study cards by section, shuffle, and keep track of cards you know and don't know. It will even work offline and sync your progress back to our servers. There are hundreds of lists to memorize for this exam, so this app is a great aid to help you get through them all!
Learn App
We've also added some great enhancements to our TIA "Learn" app that lets you take studying with you wherever you go! This app lets you watch videos offline, sync your progress with the website as you move through videos, and a whole lot more.

Both apps continue to receive updates in our quest to make the experience even better for all of our students.

Check out the GH FV page, where you'll find samples of the course videos, the detailed study manual, and other items included with the online course.

TIA Online Seminar: GH FV
Book:Actuaries in Microinsurance
Old 06-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.

Hey, TIA, you need to bring back the ability to pay with AMEX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 06-20-2019, 09:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Hey, TIA, you need to bring back the ability to pay with AMEX.
Hey Brock - sorry for the inconvenience with this. We'll bring it up to our team to discuss. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA

College: UGA

In January 2019, we surveyed our FSA exam customers to identify patterns in study habits. The survey was sent after candidates received their fall 2018 results. We were able to discern some interesting patterns in study habits.

In blog post below, show both quantitative results (e.g. time spent studying) and behavioral patterns (e.g. strategies employed while studying) suggested by the survey. Of the two, we believe that understanding the behavioral patterns of successful candidates has the most value. In other words, we believe quality of study time is a bigger driver of success than quantity. However, quantity still matters, especially for the 5-hour exams.

Check it out:

http://theinfiniteactuary.com/blogs/exam_ila_dp/?p=886

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LPM | LFMU | LFMC | LAM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | G&H DP | G&H FV | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 08-04-2019, 11:00 PM

Hi, I'm using TIA for FV-A and DP-A and I have a question:

-Will there be numerical-only videos for FV-A and DP-A? I see that there are numerical only videos for DP-A but it says "Updated for Spring 2019" not fall 2019

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:45 AM
SOA

Yes, we will have the Numerical Only videos updated for this sitting. We've been wrapped up in some other updates, but those are definitely on the list and will be done in plenty of time for everyone to go through them on the days when they just want to see the problems.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:43 PM

Hi Derek, the video for Appraisal's M&A chapter 5 is not loading. Is there a technical problem?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp-fifa-fan View Post
Hi Derek, the video for Appraisal's M&A chapter 5 is not loading. Is there a technical problem?
I just logged in to the student portal, and it seems to be playing fine on my computer. Can you please log out and log back in to see if it works now?

Also, it's probably easier if you email me (derek@theinfiniteactuary.com) or Jeff (jeff@theinfiniteactuary.com) directly, as we will see the message sooner. Sometimes we don't check the AO that often. Please send us an email if the video is still not playing for you.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2019, 11:31 AM

psp-fifa-fan,

I am reloading the video file just to be safe, even though the video is playing fine for me. Please try the video again in about an hour to make sure the upload process has had time to complete, and email me if you still experience a problem. You should either log out / log in or refresh your web browser as well.

Thank you,

Jeff

TIA Online Seminar: GH FV
Book:Actuaries in Microinsurance
Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff @ TIA Seminars View Post
psp-fifa-fan,

I am reloading the video file just to be safe, even though the video is playing fine for me. Please try the video again in about an hour to make sure the upload process has had time to complete, and email me if you still experience a problem. You should either log out / log in or refresh your web browser as well.

Thank you,

Jeff
It's working now, thanks!