Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 04-02-2019, 08:54 AM
SOA

Studying for ILALRM
College: Postgraduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts75 View Post
That's what I did. Or at least I used excel to help determine patterns and potential errors and then just used R to remove/modify them.

I believe it explicitly says in the syllabus/modules it can be done in excel before importing into R.
How did I miss this? I would have been gutted if I had failed the exam.
FAC
Old 04-03-2019, 12:29 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts75 View Post
That's what I did. Or at least I used excel to help determine patterns and potential errors and then just used R to remove/modify them.

I believe it explicitly says in the syllabus/modules it can be done in excel before importing into R.
It does. That is why I asked in the first place. In theory it is better to do everything in R but I think getting it done using Excel and R is better than not getting it done.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Studying for MFE, C
Favorite beer: Corona

Hi, Anybody having issue accessing the SOA elearning modules for PA exam. Somehow, it keeps clocking for me. Having this issue from 3 days now.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:59 PM

Studying for MFE, C
Favorite beer: Corona

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaktwan View Post
Hi, Anybody having issue accessing the SOA elearning modules for PA exam. Somehow, it keeps clocking for me. Having this issue from 3 days now.
I got it resolved through SOA help desk.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:57 PM
SOA

College: University of Oregon
Default M6, end of module question

1. When the answer writer for Rmd 6.8 is trying to figure-out which variables to get rid of, and they aren't purely looking at the AIC (for convergence reasons), then they are taking out variables with high p-values. But a couple of times (like leading-up to Chunk #18), they take out SAGE instead of AGE, even though AGE has a higher p-value. Running Chunks 18, (19), and 20 yields a final model with AGE having p-value of 0.398 and the rmse = 764k, but if you change the AGE to SAGE instead, then the p-value of SAGE is 0.121 in the model and the rmse = 742k (which seems to imply a better model).

And the answer writer is not a priori convinced of never taking AGE out of the model, because just before Chunk #13, they try taking out AGE; but as it happens, the process doesn't converge and so they end-up including AGE.

2. I had assumed that one would never settle on a model where any of the betas has a p-value greater than 0.05 (aside from when two variables need each other as in the MARSTAT with AGEDiff), but the writer does keep high p-value betas. Like NUMHH in the results from Chungus #18 is at 0.382, which means that the beta for NUMHH could easily be negative instead of positive. And given that the objective of this end of module 6 example is to "assist marketing in identifying important factors", telling marketing that there's a positive beta when it could be negative is not helpful.

Last edited by pyramidos; 04-05-2019 at 10:31 AM..