Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 1-5
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:33 PM
SOA

Studying for CSP - ILA
Favorite beer: Summit IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheTiger View Post
Take a look at the requirements document. There are two lists there. There is an item that appears on one of the lists, but not the other one. That same bullet point was not specifically addressed in the assignment. It was something that they wanted you to take from what we were required to do in each of the previous 3 exercises. It was something they emphasized heavily. I think that is the key point they are assessing for Module 4. My guess is that's a strong candidate for why you were failed for the exercise.
No offense, but this post sucks.

I'm interested in what Mike is referring to, but he doesn't come out and say it. I'm not interested enough to actually go back and dig thru the assignment document, which are often quite long, find these lists... compare them... and figure out what the hell Mike is referring to... why the secrecy, man?!?!? We're allowed to discuss exercises both here and on SOA FAP board.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:38 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto View Post
No offense, but this post sucks.

I'm interested in what Mike is referring to, but he doesn't come out and say it. I'm not interested enough to actually go back and dig thru the assignment document, which are often quite long, find these lists... compare them... and figure out what the hell Mike is referring to... why the secrecy, man?!?!? We're allowed to discuss exercises both here and on SOA FAP board.
We're not allowed to discuss the "Meets Minimum Standards" requirements that you download after you have turned in your assignment. That is the document I am referencing here. In any case, that doesn't appear to be the issue for Disco as he correctly surmised what I was referencing.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian View Post
MikeTheTiger "Take a look at the requirements document."

I may be a little dense here, but where exactly is this "requirements" document?

BTW, I have submitted 4 but not 5.

It seems that the people who fail, it takes longer to get the failure notice, than the pass post for the people who pass. Just an observation.
I wonder if this could be because the quick passes are getting a cursory (or administrative) review and the fails (as well as some slower passes) are getting a more thorough review.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:00 PM

I bet you are correct.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Favorite beer: Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1 View Post
I wonder if this could be because the quick passes are getting a cursory (or administrative) review and the fails (as well as some slower passes) are getting a more thorough review.
I dunno - My guess is that the time it takes to grade isn't an indication of whether or not the module passes/fails. (You're just freaking out the folks that are waiting paitently knowing their module is "under grader review"!) The papers are probably all just sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to be looked at. Mine took 2.5 weeks to review and I fiiiinally got the pass this morning.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmac View Post
I dunno - My guess is that the time it takes to grade isn't an indication of whether or not the module passes/fails. (You're just freaking out the folks that are waiting paitently knowing their module is "under grader review"!) The papers are probably all just sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to be looked at. Mine took 2.5 weeks to review and I fiiiinally got the pass this morning.
Or it could be like the exam process. The papers that are on the fense might get a second or third review from independent graders. My report for module 4 was selected and marked within 24 hours....so I can't complain at all. Guess they liked my writing and abundant sensitivity testing.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:16 PM

FYI for anyone who is wondering...They are allowing me to finish the redo AFTER the exam. Hooray!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCzyk View Post
FYI for anyone who is wondering...They are allowing me to finish the redo AFTER the exam. Hooray!
Thanks for the info!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for AFE
College: UF/GSU Alumni
Favorite beer: St Bernardus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCzyk View Post
Glad to hear it! Good luck with the exam...

Tags
eom4