Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Fap..plus the Modules
College: University of Oklahoma

Games still get released for the last generation console for several years, especially for the more popular games. so that shouldn't be too huge of an issue unless there is a specific game they want that isn't.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Do you have an HDTV? It is pretty self explanatory to plug it in once you buy one. You can either buy one from amazon, ebay, or some store. Just search around for the cheapest price. Look up game prices and whether your kids want the games that go with the bundle packs as well. No point in paying extra to bundle with a game that your kids won't play. Isn't there a 64 gb? I think that should be plenty of memory.

Or you can buy them an N64 with Goldeneye, NFL Blitz, and Ocarina of Time. Then tell them to learn to adjust and that they have 3 of the greatest games that have ever existed.
I plugged mine in and just got an error message that it needed an update. Of course, because it wasn't connected yet I can't update it.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 AM

Studying for 2/FM
Favorite beer: Guinness

go to Costco, they sell bundles of the xbox, a second controller, rechargable battery and a few games. It cant be much more than $300. The bundle could be better or worse than described. It probably has the kinect too
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM

Studying for 2/FM
Favorite beer: Guinness

Also, isnt there something you can buy that that will expand your 1 HDMI into 3 or 4?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Non-Actuary

...get the 250 gig version. 4 gig is not enough, even for young girls that play girly games. If they want a kinect with it, you should (and can) buy it bundled together; it will be cheaper. You don't get much choice as to which games get bundled with it, so don't worry about that too much...

...If you go to a store like "Gamestop" (which I'm not even sure they have outside of my southern new england area), you can buy games for cheap, that are used. ...and since you said you didn't care about the games being brand new, that seems like your best option. You could buy the console there too, which is what I do/did, but you can also shop around. ...Try to get a bundle that has wireless remotes, as they are preferable to wired remotes...

...If you have wifi, you can buy some accessories to make it internet accessible, or you can just plug it in directly... Upon purchasing the console, you should be given a free month or so's access to Xbox-Live, which will allow you to enjoy the "online Xbox experience", where you can rent/buy movies, watch youtube videos, etc. ...Most new tv's have this capability now; mine does, but I still prefer using the Xbox to do it, since the interface for it is so much better than my Vizio TV...

...The xbox frequently makes automated updates to the console, which will require download space. Your youngins will wish to save their progress in the games they play. They will want to put music, pictures, videos, etc, on it... So make sure you get the 250 gig version...

...they purposely offer a 4 gig and 250 gig version. Honestly, 250 gig is way, way more than enough. ...but 4 gig is simply not enough. So they force you to get the 250 gig version. Otherwise, you'll end up spending more to go out and get an external hard drive, after your youngins complain to you about not having enough space to save their stuff...

Last edited by Ambiguity; 03-29-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM

I went the entire generation with just 20 gigs. I just deleted unused game saves and didn't use it for storing videos, or pictures, etc.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM

There's a 250 gig with Kinect bundled in with it... I think the price is usually in the $250-300 range depending on timing (holiday sales, etc.)

Gamestop is a necessity for young girls that don't care about whether the games are current or not... you can buy older used games for $10-20 whereas you would have to pay $40+ to buy them new regardless of how old they are.

Is there a reason that you're going with an Xbox? For two young girls that sound like they will most likely be 'casual' gamers, a Wii sounds like a much better fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-On Devi View Post
I have never heard of menopausal jailbait.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Wii sucks.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Wii sucks.
Yes, if you like fancy games... but for two tweenie girls there are a lot more options for games on Wii than there are on Xbox. The price tag doesn't hurt as much either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-On Devi View Post
I have never heard of menopausal jailbait.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
I went the entire generation with just 20 gigs. I just deleted unused game saves and didn't use it for storing videos, or pictures, etc.
...yeah, you've got the old white one, homie. They don't sell that one anymore. Those versions got the "ring of death", and they developed the black one. My white one got the ring a couple years back (for the 2nd time; the first time, it was under warranty still, and they fixed it for me), and I got the newer, black one. ...no problems yet, and I play moderately often. But it's used everyday, for my 2 yr old's youtube videos, we rent movies on it, I watch lil' wayne videos on it; you know, the usual stuff...