Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
um, yeah...that'd be great. Problem is, I need to know whether or not they speak da truth.
have them cite sources, duh.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Do you have a Best Buy?

Website says they sell a $299 bundle that has the console, a controller, Kinect, and two Kinect games: Kinect Adventures (a bunch of mini-games) and Kinect Disneyland (a bunch of Disneyland mini-games).

Hard drive is only 4GB.
Thanks. I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Micrsofot will be announcing a new Xbox in May, so your kids might want to have a conversation about that soon...
...because my kids will say, "Dad, we want the new one!"? Nah...they're not that up on current events.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
have them cite sources, duh.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
am I crazy here in suggesting this? But, why not have your kids do the research. Have them figure out which is better. Have them figure out where it is cheapest. Have them figure out which games they want and which ones they want to get in the future. Make sure they understand you are expecting a presentation with charts and stuff, because that would be awesome.
Maybe he doesn't want to get them hooked on the AO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjaws View Post
I thought the xbox had its price slashed to $99 or so new when it became obvious the new one was coming in the fall.

Nope, I was way wrong.
I thought there was something about them doing a new pricing thing where you got the console on the cheap but had to sign up for a couple years of Xbox Live with a monthly recurring charge or something. Don't remember exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
uff da, the nearest/only gamestop in town is almost an hour's drive away. There must be something similar close by. Good advice, though. I'm also thinking redbox may be an option.

The girls are really sold on the kinect thing. I think 12yo was just at a sleepover where they played one & liked the full-body experience over the singular control of the wii.

Thanks for the advice.
Walmart sells Xboxes and games and will have them set up, like Best Buy or any other big box electronics place. I have not really looked at games at walmart but at BB they basically have games at 9.99, 19.99, 24.99, about every $5 up to I am not sure what upper limit. Interestingly, it seems that the price is a function of the popularity of the game AND the length of time it has been out. So very popular games can be expected to be at the upper end even when they have been out for quite a while and newer versions of the games are available. But those are all NEW games. Gamestop and online you can find used games, though, it seems the pricing on those tends to follow that same pricing structure.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM

I also have a question for all you Xboxers. How the heck do I get the kinect to quit messing up my netflix movie viewing. If I move the thing thinks I want to change something so it will bring up the menu and sometimes it has accidentally stopped the movie or FF or REW it. I currently have a washcloth hanging over it so that it can't see me.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Non-Actuary

...well if Gamestop is too far, any big box store should have a bundled console with kinect. They won't have used games though... You could buy used games online, but what if it's scratched, etc? Gamestop guarantees their used games; I've never had an issue though...

...while somebody mentioned that your girls could probly get away with the 4 gig, I must insist that the 250 gig is where it's at... Did you know that you can download game demos (as long as your xbox is hooked up to the internet), which are free? ...you can; I do it all the time. Sure, you don't get the whole game; just a few levels or whatever, but you can download as many as you want. Plus, it's a nice (and free) way to play many games... Anyway, you need hard drive space in order to do that...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Game Stop often has used Xboxes. I'd imagine that's especially the case when there's a new one coming out. Might be worth checking.

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Game Stop often has used Xboxes. I'd imagine that's especially the case when there's a new one coming out. Might be worth checking.
I haven't gotten an ad for it in my email yet, but GameStop usually offers a "Trade your X in for 30% off the next gen X^2" whenever a new console comes out. So if you wait a few months you should be able to get a used Xbox360 with Kinect on the cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-On Devi View Post
I have never heard of menopausal jailbait.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM
SOA AAA

The entrance is to the left, behind the bushes...
Old 03-29-2013, 03:24 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
The entrance is to the left, behind the bushes...
rn