Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 02-19-2019, 12:38 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
this

might want to force it to stick to 2.4 Ghz and not use the 5 Ghz band. i don't have that big a house, but the reach on 5 Ghz, especially through walls, isn't great.
On Google WiFi you don't get to pick which band you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
On Google WiFi you don't get to pick which band you use.
i can't on my ATT POS modem/router either, but i can log in to the modem/router and change the name on the 5 Ghz to something that none of my devices can have a password for. that's now i got around it.

IOW, by default, both bands have the same network name and password. all my devices recognize the name/pw combo and the modem/router decides which network to use for each device. i was unhappy with the coverage, so i changed the name of the 5 Ghz network so now none of my devices have the name/pw combo necessary to attach to it.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:27 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i can't on my ATT POS modem/router either, but i can log in to the modem/router and change the name on the 5 Ghz to something that none of my devices can have a password for. that's now i got around it.

IOW, by default, both bands have the same network name and password. all my devices recognize the name/pw combo and the modem/router decides which network to use for each device. i was unhappy with the coverage, so i changed the name of the 5 Ghz network so now none of my devices have the name/pw combo necessary to attach to it.
I don't think you can do that either on the Google WiFi, but I just might not know how.

You can look in the app and see which band a device is using.

For some reason I am getting faster speeds through WiFi than on my PC. I have my modem plugged directly into the internet box outside my house. My PC is plugged into the Google WiFi puck, which is plugged directly into the modem. On WiFi I'm seeing speeds in the 70-80 Mbps range, but my PC is at 20. I would care more if things were moving slow, but it seems fine for now.

Quote:
Old 02-19-2019, 04:49 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I don't think you can do that either on the Google WiFi, but I just might not know how.

You can look in the app and see which band a device is using.

For some reason I am getting faster speeds through WiFi than on my PC. I have my modem plugged directly into the internet box outside my house. My PC is plugged into the Google WiFi puck, which is plugged directly into the modem. On WiFi I'm seeing speeds in the 70-80 Mbps range, but my PC is at 20. I would care more if things were moving slow, but it seems fine for now.
If you plug your PC directly into the modem, does the speed increase? Because it sounds like the puck has a switch inside it that's running slow.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 02-20-2019, 11:19 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
If you plug your PC directly into the modem, does the speed increase? Because it sounds like the puck has a switch inside it that's running slow.
That's a good idea. I tried it, and it didn't really make a difference. I switched my ethernet cord from being plugged directly into my laptop instead of into the docking station, and that bumped me up to 30 Mbps.

I'm using Cat5e for all of my cords. The one from the modem to the puck is probably 3 ft, the one from the puck to my computer is 5-10ft. I could use a shorter cord, that's just what I had on hand when I set it up.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2019, 12:52 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
That's a good idea. I tried it, and it didn't really make a difference. I switched my ethernet cord from being plugged directly into my laptop instead of into the docking station, and that bumped me up to 30 Mbps.

I'm using Cat5e for all of my cords. The one from the modem to the puck is probably 3 ft, the one from the puck to my computer is 5-10ft. I could use a shorter cord, that's just what I had on hand when I set it up.
It doesn't sound like a cable issue. Cat5e can handle 100Mbps for more than 50 meters, IIRC. Shortening it probably won't make a difference over that length.

So now you're at 30 Mbps Ethernet vs 70-80 WiFi, right? That sounds like your WiFi is on your 5GHz band, and your Ethernet NIC is on your 2.4GHz band. Is that something you can verify, maybe with the link-local addresses?

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Did you try connecting a different computer to the puck? Or using a different OS on the same computer, such as booting from a Linux Live CD or USB? If it works well with the latter, it's a driver problem or malware hijacking the ethernet port for its own purposes.

If the above tests don't make any difference, another possibility is you have a faulty cable. Switch the cable and see what happens. You don't need better than Cat5e, which can carry gigabit speed.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 02-21-2019 at 07:07 PM..