Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 03-08-2019, 01:36 PM
SOA

I feel seen
Old 03-08-2019, 01:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post

I feel seen
I like the competition of multiplayer, but do love a good story campaign to binge on every now and then. My go to has been Assassin's Creed in the past, but recently did Bioshock Infinite and Portal 2.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:42 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Sekiro shadows die twice looks sick. And as far as I can tell there is no coop/pvp in the game game at all which I never cared much for in the other From Software Games. I enjoyed beating bosses by myself and PvP while interesting as a concept never turned into a fun endeavor for me.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
I like the competition of multiplayer, but do love a good story campaign to binge on every now and then. My go to has been Assassin's Creed in the past, but recently did Bioshock Infinite and Portal 2.
I never get good enough at anything to play multiplayer. Now it seems like a lot of games are going multiplayer-only.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:07 AM

New app on iOS that lets you remote play PS4. It works better than the Vita for me, but the having actual buttons on the Vita is better, IMO. Maybe they’ll update it to let you sync a DS4 to your phone.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:32 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
New app on iOS that lets you remote play PS4. It works better than the Vita for me, but the having actual buttons on the Vita is better, IMO. Maybe they’ll update it to let you sync a DS4 to your phone.
Somehow missed that. Will be helpful for things like games that require daily log in to get rewards, even if gameplay is difficult.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

I've been toying with the idea of making a programming-based combat game for some time... and finally did my research and lo-and-behold it already exists:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/871930/Gladiabots/

It's actually really good. If you're into programming puzzles. The code is all in a dopey visual editor so it doesn't feel like a chore, even though it is.

Spoiler:

You start out by basically telling your guys to get in range and shoot at the other team. Then retreat if wounded.

But it gets a lot more complicated by having a few classes (tank, sniper, mellee...) and then a lot more complicated by the fact that you want your team to behave intelligently.

So, for example, I'm trying to work out when my dudes should engage, stay at a distance, or run. And that involves looking at what the nearby allies and enemies are doing, whether they're being targeted, how low their shields are, etc.

The game itself comes down to just this one randomized level over and over again, fighting against progressively smarter enemies. Which is boring in a way, but it's also rewarding to have a puzzle game in which you don't just beat the level and move on to the next. Instead you keep building the same thing but better.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 03-13-2019 at 11:38 AM..
Old 03-13-2019, 08:13 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Just got my son Destiny for $2.23 at Gamestop. He likes it, but it's gonna get way complicated very soon.

I played the tutorial level and the first "real" mission. But I don't have time to dedicate to any sort of MMO.

I may play a little tonight. I'm not that good at FPS's.

Well, I've played for about an hour and my son has about 3 or 4 in, so in the long run it was worth the 3 bucks.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
Just got my son Destiny for $2.23 at Gamestop. He likes it, but it's gonna get way complicated very soon.

I played the tutorial level and the first "real" mission. But I don't have time to dedicate to any sort of MMO.

I may play a little tonight. I'm not that good at FPS's.

Well, I've played for about an hour and my son has about 3 or 4 in, so in the long run it was worth the 3 bucks.
Really, it doesn’t get much more complicated than follow the arrow, shoot the bad guys.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:16 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

Been enjoying The Witness as one of the free PSN games this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one