Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-11-2019, 11:21 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

I'll let you know how the Google WiFi mesh system I just bought works (Should come tomorrow, and hopefully I get internet with my new provider this week or next).

I have also used Powerline Ethernet adapters, and they work pretty good. They transfer internet through a normal outlet, so you don't have to run any additional wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:53 AM

We have a large home that would make it a pain to have router extenders. The Google WiFi mesh system is awesome. Never had an issue and worth every penny.

I'd recommend getting your own modem, even if they provider gives you one. We saw a massive increase in speed when we switched to one we purchased and installed (just call their tech support and give them the MAC address). We were originally paying for 200, receiving about 30, downgraded to 100 and switched to our modem and now consistently get 110.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:56 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Yeah, modem and Google WiFi should be here tomorrow, tech is coming Wednesday.

Every time I call into the new place they keep trying to convince me that I need 200 MBps or 300 MBps (they offer 100/200/300). I'm at 40 right now. 100 should seem like a huge upgrade.

Our download speeds are ok though, I'm really doing it for the upload speeds. We're at 2 right now, and the new provider offers 10 for the package I'm getting.

I did get equipment that can handle past 300 MBps though just in case I do decide to upgrade later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Yeah, modem and Google WiFi should be here tomorrow, tech is coming Wednesday.

Every time I call into the new place they keep trying to convince me that I need 200 MBps or 300 MBps (they offer 100/200/300). I'm at 40 right now. 100 should seem like a huge upgrade.

Our download speeds are ok though, I'm really doing it for the upload speeds. We're at 2 right now, and the new provider offers 10 for the package I'm getting.

I did get equipment that can handle past 300 MBps though just in case I do decide to upgrade later.
The Google WiFi makes it very easy to monitor speeds. We host parties somewhat regularly with 20-30 folks, at least 5 of which (kids) are on their phones steaming something while we are streaming music through Google Home. With only 100 download never had even the slightest issue as long as truly getting 100 download. Every person I've ever looked at who uses the provider's modem is getting a small fraction of what they're paying for. Those who have converted to their own modem see an immediate and significant jump.

We have three Google WiFis, but I'm thinking about getting two more to really stretch to the outside areas (pool in backyard and very large front yard).
Old 02-11-2019, 12:17 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Row View Post
The Google WiFi makes it very easy to monitor speeds. We host parties somewhat regularly with 20-30 folks, at least 5 of which (kids) are on their phones steaming something while we are streaming music through Google Home. With only 100 download never had even the slightest issue as long as truly getting 100 download. Every person I've ever looked at who uses the provider's modem is getting a small fraction of what they're paying for. Those who have converted to their own modem see an immediate and significant jump.

We have three Google WiFis, but I'm thinking about getting two more to really stretch to the outside areas (pool in backyard and very large front yard).
I use the modem my ISP set up and an Apple TimeCapsule for a router. If I stand next to the TimeCapsule, I get >90% of the speed I pay for. unfortunately, the router is in the furnace room in the basement.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
(if this is a thread derailment, let me know and I'll start a new one)

Does anybody have any experience with a mesh wifi network? if so, which brand of routers work better than others?

I definitely suffer from signal loss in my house. the modem is in the basement, and I routinely have wifi connectivity issues in my 2nd floor bedroom, despite having an extender on the 2nd floor. Trying to decide if I need to find a way to rewire stuff and get the modem to the main floor, or if spending a couple hundred bucks on a mesh network solves my problems without pulling any wires. Essentially, I'm getting sick of paying for 150Mbps and having to wait while YouTube buffers.
The eeros I mentioned are a mesh network. We have the main one in the basement, acting as a router, and then one on the first and second floors. Because we're ethernet wired, they are plugged into the ethernet ports, so they are as fast as anything else in the house. If you aren't wired, you have to place them in such a way as that each one can get a signal from another one. In your case that would mean a similar setup to mine -- one in the basement attached to the modem, then one on each floor. It was a few hundred $ for the 3-pack.

I've had no problems and it seamlessly picks up the strongest signal as you move around the house. Actually, I had one issue -- one of their updates was unfriendly to my Tivo, but I contacted me and they rolled the update back until a fix was found. So, very happy with them. The phone app that you use to manage it is also very helpful. You can assign every device to a person (you don't have to, but you can) and then restrict access for specific people at specific times. So, I could make all of my kids' devices stop connecting after 10 pm, for example.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

PS to Turd Ferguson -- it may also just be that your extender is too far from the source to get a good signal. You might try putting in on the first floor so it can catch the signal from the basement, and then see if that new signal reaches the second floor.

If that doesn't work, a mesh seems like the best option.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
PS to Turd Ferguson -- it may also just be that your extender is too far from the source to get a good signal. You might try putting in on the first floor so it can catch the signal from the basement, and then see if that new signal reaches the second floor.

If that doesn't work, a mesh seems like the best option.
I believe an inherent disadvantage of an extender solution versus a mesh solution is that your device will attempt to hold on to the current connection without realizing there is a better connection nearby. If the budget allows for a mesh, always go mesh.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:51 PM
It's a funny name.

I've tried the extender on the main floor. it's marginally better, but still not great.

the next thing I'm going to try is to get the router to the main floor. easier said than done because I need to get the Control4 guys over because the router is hardlined into that system and moving it breaks the Control4 functionality. oh, and then my router will be on the kitchen countertop which isn't ideal.

hopefully that fixes my issues. But if not, breaking the hard link between the Control4 stack and the wifi modem would be a necessary first step to a mesh network anyways, so no wasted efforts.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Row View Post
I believe an inherent disadvantage of an extender solution versus a mesh solution is that your device will attempt to hold on to the current connection without realizing there is a better connection nearby. If the budget allows for a mesh, always go mesh.
since it's an Apple modem & extender, and primarily Apple devices, I've been told this isn't an issue. BUT... the extender seems to only ever pick up the 2.4GHz signal, not the 5GHz... which puts a big cramp on the max speed.