Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Samsung Folding phone coming out on April 26

5G Network and 7.3" screen.

$1,980

That it is fair chunk of change but damn, I am conflicted now. Folding phone vs S10+ hmmm.....decisions decisions.
You can get both

one for each masters degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:23 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
The phone folds, but it opens into a (small) tablet.

I'd rather buy an iPhone and an iPad mini...cheaper.
But a tablet doesn't fit in my pocket. I thought the point was to take something that functions as a tablet and make it fit in your pocket? (And also be small enough to use for a phone call.)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:25 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I'm not really a fan of the ever increasing size of the phones. I really thought the S7 was the perfect size. The S9 is really nice but has too much girth imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I'm not really a fan of the ever increasing size of the phones. I really thought the S7 was the perfect size. The S9 is really nice but has too much girth imo.
Is it the girth that matters or the length? Asking for a friend.

The S7 is basically the exact same size as the S10e except for the screen to bezel ratio.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:39 AM
Non-Actuary

Is folding phone the new term for flip phone?

Do either of these phones retain the traditional headphone jack? If they make me switch to $100 Bluetooth headphones that I need to find a charger for, itís a hard no for me.

Iíve got an S8. Itís pretty good, but I feel like itís a step down from my prior S4 because of that dumb Bixby button. The S4 was the perfect phone. Iíd buy another one of those in a heartbeat, though I do like the waterproofing on the S8. Water damage from a bike ride in a rainstorm killed my S4.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Is folding phone the new term for flip phone?

Do either of these phones retain the traditional headphone jack? If they make me switch to $100 Bluetooth headphones that I need to find a charger for, itís a hard no for me.

Iíve got an S8. Itís pretty good, but I feel like itís a step down from my prior S4 because of that dumb Bixby button. The S4 was the perfect phone. Iíd buy another one of those in a heartbeat, though I do like the waterproofing on the S8. Water damage from a bike ride in a rainstorm killed my S4.
The S10 still has a headphone jack, not sure about the Fold.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:51 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post

The S7 is basically the exact same size as the S10e except for the screen to bezel ratio.
Both. I have a Moto X4, and I'm eyeing the new Pixel mostly because it is a little shorter and a little thinner. It feels better in my hands and it fits more easily in my pocket.

Of the three dimensions, height, width, and depth (from biggest to smallest) I think the most important is width, and really, it's the width + 2x depth that affects how easily I can hold a phone. (And rounding the edges and back a bit improves on the hand-feel) But if I could get a phone with less height and width at the expense of more depth, I'd happily take it.

I do want a decent battery and a phone jack, both of which demand a certain minimum depth anyway.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
I’ve got an S8. It’s pretty good, but I feel like it’s a step down from my prior S4 because of that dumb Bixby button.
have you disabled it, or do you not like that there's a button in that spot? I disabled the Bixby functionality on that phone for a friend a few weeks ago
Old 02-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
have you disabled it, or do you not like that there's a button in that spot? I disabled the Bixby functionality on that phone for a friend a few weeks ago
I disabled it a long time ago, so nothing happens when I press the button. With three buttons on the left side of the phone though, I always press the wrong button when trying to turn volume up or down. It's a minor annoyance, but just so unnecessary. Bixby is awful.

The case on my phone probably makes it worse, but these things are impossibly fragile without the case. I had went a week without a case when I first got the phone, but a couple days later, I noticed the glass on the back had cracked. I never even dropped the phone: no idea when it cracked. Having a glass back to the phone is another dumb design decision. Did they fix that with the S10?
Old 02-22-2019, 11:02 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post

I think the s10e might be smaller. I have an S8 and my wife used to have an S7 before she got an S9. The S7 is roughly the same size as the S8. The S10e is considerably smaller than the S8/S9.