Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-22-2019, 11:04 AM
CAS

I saw a comparison of the S9 and S10e the S10e is smaller. The S10e was put on top of the S9. They both have the same screen size, but the S10e has considerably less bezel so it saves a bit on height.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:05 AM
CAS

The folding phone seems ridiculous to me.

Why would anyone want to use the phone in folded mode, where half the screen is bezel.

You can get a 1000 dollar phone and an IPAD pro for that price if you really wanted to go all out. If you want to go budget you can get an Amazon tablet.

It's not like Samsung is known for their tablets. Android tablets are a dime a dozen and don't operate that great. With that said my 30 dollar Kindle Fire tablet 7 inch does everything I need it to do.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM
CAS

When I saw the guy sitting down present the folding phone he looked so nervous, his hands were shaking. Because of that I could only focus on how tall the phone is. and how much of the front the screen was actually using.

While you can fit it in your pocket it is probably taller than a Note.

I don't believe the actual dimensions of the product were released.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
I disabled it a long time ago, so nothing happens when I press the button. With three buttons on the left side of the phone though, I always press the wrong button when trying to turn volume up or down. It's a minor annoyance, but just so unnecessary. Bixby is awful.

The case on my phone probably makes it worse, but these things are impossibly fragile without the case. I had went a week without a case when I first got the phone, but a couple days later, I noticed the glass on the back had cracked. I never even dropped the phone: no idea when it cracked. Having a glass back to the phone is another dumb design decision. Did they fix that with the S10?
I don't like bulky cases (or any case, really). But I also don't like a broken glass back. I got a carbon fiber dbrand skin for my S8, and will do the same for whatever I get next (https://dbrand.com/samsung-galaxy-skins).
Old 02-22-2019, 11:16 AM
CAS

PP, the Pixel 3 might be a good size for you. It's a little more narrow than the OnePlus phones I've had in recent years.

1st gen folding phone tech is a hard pass for me
Old 02-22-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
I think the s10e might be smaller. I have an S8 and my wife used to have an S7 before she got an S9. The S7 is roughly the same size as the S8. The S10e is considerably smaller than the S8/S9.
S7 5.61 x 2.74 x 0.31 inches
S8 5.86 x 2.68 x 0.31 inches
S9 5.81 x 2.7 x 0.33 inches
S10 5.9 x 2.77 x 0.31 inches
S10e 5.6 x 2.75 x 0.31 inches

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...es/11114,10716

I'm not sure if I'd call the S10e considerably smaller than the 8/9. It's slightly wider and only 0.2 inches shorter. To me none of this size differences seem to be big enough that they are deal breakers when choosing one over the other. I'd make the decision based on the specs I wanted.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 AM
CAS

Your right, thanks for the dimensions. Those are very helpful.

I didn't realize the s9 is taller than the s8. I will need to take a look at that. You probably can't actually tell the difference.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:46 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
PP, the Pixel 3 might be a good size for you. It's a little more narrow than the OnePlus phones I've had in recent years.

1st gen folding phone tech is a hard pass for me
Yes, I really liked the size of the Pixel 3. If it had a phone jack, I would probably have bought it, despite my current phone being fairly new and working perfectly well.

The Moto X4 is a little larger than I like, and doesn't do wireless charging, and has a worse screen and a worse camera than my last phone (the Blackberry Priv) but it does everything well enough, and the battery life is terrific. I still miss the Priv, and I would still be using it if I'd been able to find a new battery to install. grumble grumble planned obsolescence grumble grumble. But I do like some of the features of Android v9.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Yes, I really liked the size of the Pixel 3. If it had a phone jack, I would probably have bought it, despite my current phone being fairly new and working perfectly well.

The Moto X4 is a little larger than I like, and doesn't do wireless charging, and has a worse screen and a worse camera than my last phone (the Blackberry Priv) but it does everything well enough, and the battery life is terrific. I still miss the Priv, and I would still be using it if I'd been able to find a new battery to install. grumble grumble planned obsolescence grumble grumble. But I do like some of the features of Android v9.
a separate phone jack you mean?

i never use ear buds or other comparable device with my phone so it's a non-issue for me. even if i did, i can't imagine it being a problem for me since i have ample opportunities to top off charge if needed and wouldn't be faced with "omgwtfbbq, no sep port for buds" situ. pixel 3 comes with ear buds and a usbc to headphone jack adapter.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:44 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
The folding phone seems ridiculous to me.

Why would anyone want to use the phone in folded mode, where half the screen is bezel.

You can get a 1000 dollar phone and an IPAD pro for that price if you really wanted to go all out. If you want to go budget you can get an Amazon tablet.

It's not like Samsung is known for their tablets. Android tablets are a dime a dozen and don't operate that great. With that said my 30 dollar Kindle Fire tablet 7 inch does everything I need it to do.
I have a Samsung S3 9.7" tablet (was about 800 so $1,100) and the screen resolution and battery life are way better than an Ipad.