Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:48 PM
CAS

I hear you.

My main point was that I don't see how you can justify buying this as a tablet, when there are a lot cheaper options and more dynamic options in my opinion.

Surface, Ipad, or fancy android tablet.

2K is just so crazy.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:49 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
The tech on the folding screen looks better than I thought it would but it still seems pretty clunky when folded and not in its tablet mode. For me it needs to be thinner when folded and the screen on the folded side needs to be better before I would consider buying one (especially at that price).

It seems like a good first iteration and I'll be excited to see someone using it in public for the first time.
After having thought about it, I am going to get the 10+ (for use in 4G networks), and once 5G gets rolled out in 2020/21 (UK is really behind the curve in regards to 5G), I will spring for the folding phone (once it goes through a few iterations).
Old 02-22-2019, 01:51 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
I hear you.

My main point was that I don't see how you can justify buying this as a tablet, when there are a lot cheaper options and more dynamic options in my opinion.

Surface, Ipad, or fancy android tablet.

2K is just so crazy.
I agree that for a phone it is stupidly expensive. For the time being, it is also not a good replacement for a high-end tablet. More of a novelty phone until the go through a few iterations and the price comes down a bit.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
a separate phone jack you mean?

i never use ear buds or other comparable device with my phone so it's a non-issue for me. even if i did, i can't imagine it being a problem for me since i have ample opportunities to top off charge if needed and wouldn't be faced with "omgwtfbbq, no sep port for buds" situ. pixel 3 comes with ear buds and a usbc to headphone jack adapter.
A phone jack that's compatible with the things I currently plug my phone into, is what I really mean. I prefer over-the-ear to ear buds, use some non-standard equipment that isn't going to be upgraded any time soon, and would just as soon not have to carry around more bits and bobs.

It's not a huge deal, and I suppose I'll eventually cave in to the new, less user-friendly regime. And the non-standard equipment may get a set of adaptors taped to it, for ease of finding when needed. But I am using a perfectly serviceable phone, and that's enough that I wasn't pushed over the edge to upgrade.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:21 PM

WTF do people buy these $1000+ phones? It's insane.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:07 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Is folding phone the new term for flip phone?

Do either of these phones retain the traditional headphone jack? If they make me switch to $100 Bluetooth headphones that I need to find a charger for, itís a hard no for me.

Iíve got an S8. Itís pretty good, but I feel like itís a step down from my prior S4 because of that dumb Bixby button. The S4 was the perfect phone. Iíd buy another one of those in a heartbeat, though I do like the waterproofing on the S8. Water damage from a bike ride in a rainstorm killed my S4.
I liked the S4 as you could put an extended battery on it, which really made a difference in being able to use the phone the whole day using wifi/bluetooth without recharging.

Downsides was not waterproof (the S5 I hated because it did not have room for a SD card), which is why I went straight from S5 to S7 Edge+. The S7 is a great phone, only downside really is battery life and storage. Two things the S10 improves upon.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:11 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by td25er View Post
The cost is baked into your contract unless you buy it outright. I usually just add the cost to my monthly bill, as it spreads the cost over the length of the contract (usually 24-36 months). The APR is 0% anyways. Its actually a better deal to finance the phone that way than pay for it outright.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:13 PM
CAS

I buy the phones on black Friday and always the previous year model. It usually comes out to 350 or so. We got the s9 for 24 months at 13.33 a month this black friday on Verizon.

I actually saw better deals on other carriers.

The previous year I got the s8 for 15.41 a month for 24 months.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by td25er View Post
It's what a lot of people want these days I guess. Good thing there's phones at all price points these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:01 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Is folding phone the new term for flip phone?

Do either of these phones retain the traditional headphone jack? If they make me switch to $100 Bluetooth headphones that I need to find a charger for, itís a hard no for me.

Iíve got an S8. Itís pretty good, but I feel like itís a step down from my prior S4 because of that dumb Bixby button. The S4 was the perfect phone. Iíd buy another one of those in a heartbeat, though I do like the waterproofing on the S8. Water damage from a bike ride in a rainstorm killed my S4.
S7 and S5 were really good too. S7 for not having the Bixby button and S5 for having the removable battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.