Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 AM
Maphisto's Sidekick's Avatar
Maphisto's Sidekick Maphisto's Sidekick is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: South Park Genetics Lab
College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol
Posts: 2,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by td25er View Post
WTF do people buy these $1000+ phones? It's insane.
They're not phones anymore. They're sonic screwdrivers that happen to make telephone calls.

I'm currently debating whether my first generation Pixel can hold out long enough for rumored economy-model of Pixel to be released. I don't need a high-end phone, but I also don't want to go back to a crapware laden device either.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-25-2019, 08:29 AM
SlowMotionWalter's Avatar
SlowMotionWalter SlowMotionWalter is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
They're not phones anymore. They're sonic screwdrivers that happen to make telephone calls.

I'm currently debating whether my first generation Pixel can hold out long enough for rumored economy-model of Pixel to be released. I don't need a high-end phone, but I also don't want to go back to a crapware laden device either.
I'm still pissed that they dropped the Nexus line. Gonna be riding my 5X until it dies.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
You should learn to communicate in a serious manner before you expect a serious answer.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-25-2019, 08:43 AM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 42,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
I'm still pissed that they dropped the Nexus line. Gonna be riding my 5X until it dies.
The Moto X4 (android one version) IS the current "Nexus". It's a mid-priced phone with decent specs and an OS written by Google. It has very little extra stuff, and it was compatible with Google Fi before most phones were. You can buy a new one with no special discount for $350. Hmm, It might be locked to Google Fi, though. I suppose I was looking for Google Fi when I bought it.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-25-2019, 08:55 AM
SlowMotionWalter's Avatar
SlowMotionWalter SlowMotionWalter is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
The Moto X4 (android one version) IS the current "Nexus". It's a mid-priced phone with decent specs and an OS written by Google. It has very little extra stuff, and it was compatible with Google Fi before most phones were. You can buy a new one with no special discount for $350. Hmm, It might be locked to Google Fi, though. I suppose I was looking for Google Fi when I bought it.
My carrier (Ting) sells it in their store(and it's showing GSM + CDMA) so it'd work for me. I'll keep the Moto line in mind when i'm due for a new phone. Thanks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
You should learn to communicate in a serious manner before you expect a serious answer.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 AM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 42,118
Default

There are two versions -- android one and amazon. The amazon one has a lot of amazon software, and is slower to get security updates than the android one version.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-25-2019, 09:16 AM
SlowMotionWalter's Avatar
SlowMotionWalter SlowMotionWalter is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
There are two versions -- android one and amazon. The amazon one has a lot of amazon software, and is slower to get security updates than the android one version.
Thanks for the heads-up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
You should learn to communicate in a serious manner before you expect a serious answer.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:17 PM
The_Polymath's Avatar
The_Polymath The_Polymath is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,015
Default

Pulled the trigger on the S10 Plus.

Picking it up in 7-10 days once its out here in the UK.
__________________
Quote:
Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-28-2019, 01:10 PM
DeepPurple's Avatar
DeepPurple DeepPurple is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
I buy the phones on black Friday and always the previous year model. It usually comes out to 350 or so. We got the s9 for 24 months at 13.33 a month this black friday on Verizon.

I actually saw better deals on other carriers.

The previous year I got the s8 for 15.41 a month for 24 months.
So you have to pay for the S8 and S9 simultaneously? Or could you flip the S8 for the value of the outstanding payments?

So you pay 320 per year every year. Why not buy the $1000 phone and hold it for 4 years?
that is only 250 per year amortized.
__________________
Come on. Let's go space truckin'. Come on!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 42,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
...So you pay 320 per year every year. Why not buy the $1000 phone and hold it for 4 years?
that is only 250 per year amortized.
Because phones get better, and realistically, I know I will want a new one in less than 4 years. Also, the batteries get weaker over time. Planned obsolescence.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-28-2019, 01:54 PM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
So you have to pay for the S8 and S9 simultaneously? Or could you flip the S8 for the value of the outstanding payments?

So you pay 320 per year every year. Why not buy the $1000 phone and hold it for 4 years?
that is only 250 per year amortized.
One phone is my wife's phone and one is mine.

The phones go bad after two years for me. Because we use them a ton.

We got one phone for 320 and the other for like 350.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.33747 seconds with 9 queries