Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 AM
CAS

Default buying a new ultra book

I have an old, bottom of the line Lenovo yoga. I love the form factor, and the keyboard and touchpad are okay. But it's achingly slow, even to load web pages. And i feel like i can't use it for anything "real" because it's so underpowered.

My main computer is a Mac book pro, which is working great. But I'm not sure I like the future of where Mac is going, and I'm thinking i might ease myself into the windows world.

So I'm thinking of getting an Ultrabook, to be my travel computer and my "this software only comes in Windows" computer.

So what's good these days?

The Lenovo yoga 930 is an obvious choice. I'm not sure what distinguishes it from the 7xx version, and whether that's stuff I care about.

I've heard good things about the HP Spectre 360, too.

Other options?

I probably care more about being able to buy a giant hard drive (yeah, I know, whatever the solid state version is called) and having good ports to plug in existing peripherals than about having the very fastest processor, even though my issue with the current one is mostly speed. I have a terabyte on the Mac, and not a lot of spare room. If I'm going to shift focus I want to be able to buy the same in this. I also want a comfy keyboard and a responsive track pad. I also care that it can play sound nicely to external speakers/headphones, although I don't care much about the quality of the built in speakers. I obviously don't want to waste money, but I'm not super price-sensitive.

What sayeth the ao?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 AM
CAS

Followed question: what are good local backup options for PCs these days? Time machine rocks, and I want something to replace it.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

The XPS 13 is one of my favorites and probably what I would get if I were in the market now. My wife has one for work and loves it. You can find them very reasonable on eBay too.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-xps-13
Old 03-11-2019, 12:50 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

The new Yogas are quite nice. I picked one up last year for ~$500 and it did everything I wanted and more.

I have a smaller 13" ASUS for ~$150 and it's a little slow but does the job. To be expected.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
The XPS 13 is one of my favorites and probably what I would get if I were in the market now. My wife has one for work and loves it. You can find them very reasonable on eBay too.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-xps-13
I've heard a lot of good things about that, but I really like "tent mode" for watching movies in airplanes, and will probably buy something that supports that mode. There's not really room to set up even a very small laptop on your seat-tray, and you end up with the screen at a bad angle and the keyboard in your way.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:58 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
The new Yogas are quite nice. I picked one up last year for ~$500 and it did everything I wanted and more.

I have a smaller 13" ASUS for ~$150 and it's a little slow but does the job. To be expected.
Thanks. How do you like the touchpad and keyboard of the Yoga? Do you have issues with excessive bloatware?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:59 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
My main computer is a Mac book pro, which is working great. But I'm not sure I like the future of where Mac is going, and I'm thinking i might ease myself into the windows world.
What are future issues with Mac? My current desktop is an Imac, which I'm happy with. I expected I would eventually replace it with another Imac.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM
CAS

Mac is moving to integrate its computers and its phones, and is moving more towards the iOS view of the world and away from MacOS. I don't think anything is going to break all at once or anything, but I am not optimistic about the future.

My husband is moving from an old Mac desktop to Linux later this year.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:08 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
I've heard a lot of good things about that, but I really like "tent mode" for watching movies in airplanes, and will probably buy something that supports that mode. There's not really room to set up even a very small laptop on your seat-tray, and you end up with the screen at a bad angle and the keyboard in your way.
I wonder if you could just fold the keyboard all the way around and buy a small stand to hold it up at an angle.

It looks like maybe tent mode is a thing on the XPS 13:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/commen...y_xps_13_2in1/
Old 03-12-2019, 01:11 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Thanks. How do you like the touchpad and keyboard of the Yoga? Do you have issues with excessive bloatware?
The specs and construction are fairly solid for the price point. I don't remember anything particularly positive or negative.

There were some lenovo-specific programs (one to adjudicate the different modes) but nothing too irritating. I've had much worse.

(Past tense is due to accidental water damage that fried the keyboard/motherboard bridge and it's not worth fixing)