Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-14-2019, 09:36 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 42,118
Default

Yeah, no interest in the surface pro. I don't want a tablet. I want a laptop with a decent keyboard and touch pad that's also good to watch video on airplanes.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 PM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 88,543
Blog Entries: 6
Default

I have interest in this topic, but my issue is that I want to be able to do screenshot videos and I can actually run some Python/R stuff locally, and not just in the cloud
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 AM
redearedslider's Avatar
redearedslider redearedslider is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I have interest in this topic, but my issue is that I want to be able to do screenshot videos and I can actually run some Python/R stuff locally, and not just in the cloud
How powerful do you need the hardware to be? If it's just small stuff then any modern laptop with 16 GB of ram should do nicely. If you need a GPU, there are gaming laptops on the market these days that aren't 20lb LED covered monstrosities.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 AM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 88,543
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
How powerful do you need the hardware to be? If it's just small stuff then any modern laptop with 16 GB of ram should do nicely. If you need a GPU, there are gaming laptops on the market these days that aren't 20lb LED covered monstrosities.
Yeah, maybe I don't really need some kind of monster set up.
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:50 AM
BG5150's Avatar
BG5150 BG5150 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Favorite beer: the one you're buying me
Posts: 22,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Yeah, no interest in the surface pro. I don't want a tablet. I want a laptop with a decent keyboard and touch pad that's also good to watch video on airplanes.
Macbook Air.

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 AM
SlowMotionWalter's Avatar
SlowMotionWalter SlowMotionWalter is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Yeah, no interest in the surface pro. I don't want a tablet. I want a laptop with a decent keyboard and touch pad that's also good to watch video on airplanes.
Surface has a decent keyboard and touchpad and is also good to watch video on airplanes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
You should learn to communicate in a serious manner before you expect a serious answer.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 42,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
Macbook Air.

needs to be windows. And the air doesn't do "tent" mode, unless there's a new model I haven't seen.

Do y'all understand what I mean by tent mode?



This is way better for perching on an airplane seat-tray than laptop mode, especially if the guy in front of you reclines his seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
Surface has a decent keyboard and touchpad and is also good to watch video on airplanes.
The Surface has always looked like it would be awkward to use in your lap, though. And the keyboard looks sorta flimsy. But maybe I should check it out, too.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,741
Default

Surface book?

HP Envy 2 in 1, HP Spectre 2 in 1.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 AM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,741
Default

thin and light gaming laptops are expensive. Razer Blade, Triton, MSI g65 all aobve +1500. There are definitely budget gaming laptops out there for 700-800.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 AM
SlowMotionWalter's Avatar
SlowMotionWalter SlowMotionWalter is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
The Surface has always looked like it would be awkward to use in your lap, though. And the keyboard looks sorta flimsy. But maybe I should check it out, too.
The keyboard/cover is sturdy. The hinge point is not tensoined so you need to use the kickstand to angle the screen. I use mine on my couch all the time and it's no more cumbersome than using a traditional laptop; it's just different.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
You should learn to communicate in a serious manner before you expect a serious answer.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.21684 seconds with 9 queries