Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apk123 View Post
Captain epsilon,

It took me about 10 hours total to study for exam P. Stop whining and just take the damn exam. I don't really know how good you are just from a list of classes from whatever third rate college you went to. And your constant whining and no action is a negative compared to other candidates who might not have that long of a list but at least demonstrate that they are serious about wanting to enter this field. Thanks
i did attend a third rate school actually but none of that really matters since i opted for all of the most difficult courses they have to offer. anyway i gotta get back to work so feel free to howl at me until i'm done for the day.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_epsilon View Post
i did attend a third rate school actually but none of that really matters since i opted for all of the most difficult courses they have to offer.
Wow, I don't understand why you're not bombarded with job offers.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
i did attend a third rate school actually but none of that really matters since i opted for all of the most difficult courses they have to offer.
And perhaps those courses prepared you well, the bottom line is we (and future employers) just don't know. The way to show it is to SIT FOR THE EXAM AND PASS!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Lucy

Quote:
funny how so many in this thread continue to make commentaries about how impressive or unimpressive my academic record is when from the beginning i explained very clearly that the topic of discussion was whether basing all of a person's qualification for an EL position on the exams is really fair. now if you'd like to continue entertaining your infatuation with my awesomeness that's your perrogative but that was always superfluous to the topic.

my response to those saying cry me a river is that i left this morning for work at 6am and finished at 8pm and have to be back in the morning at 7:30am so there's not really much time left over for studying exams except maybe weekends but the main reason i have stayed relatively silent until now is that knowing what to do with so little time can be confusing. for example i could dive into a million things to study for this job before starting the actuary exams and if i don't then my employers/contractors look at me like i'm slacking while the other reps. continue to add to their credentials and acumen. maybe instead of giving me cat calls you should consider offering some pragmatic solutions.
Okay, pragmatic advice: Take an exam or two and pass them. Then apply for actuarial jobs.

Whether it's fair or not, that is what will most help you get an actuarial job.

I happen to think it is fair to give a lot of weight to an objective credential that is easy to compare across candidates (without having to know anything about the quality of their school, the generosity or cruelty of their professors, etc.) and that is open to anyone to attempt. You may disagree. For good or ill, the US market agrees with me. So suck it up and deal with it.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

captain_epsilon, I don't consider my academic background much above average (if even that) for this career. I had more math/stats/finance/econ courses than you. Your assumption that this is sufficient is arrogant, and you're not going to get a job until you suck it up and pass a couple exams. You aren't competing against the average act sci grad: only the above average are getting jobs.

I studied for P for a total of 4 hours (night before test), FM for about 40 (2 weeks) to pass them first attempt. If your academic background is as good as you think, this is a tiny commitment.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
SOA

College: Mephitis State University
Favorite beer: Saison Dupont

Quote:
funny how so many in this thread continue to make commentaries about how impressive or unimpressive my academic record is when from the beginning i explained very clearly that the topic of discussion was whether basing all of a person's qualification for an EL position on the exams is really fair. now if you'd like to continue entertaining your infatuation with my awesomeness that's your perrogative but that was always superfluous to the topic.

my response to those saying cry me a river is that i left this morning for work at 6am and finished at 8pm and have to be back in the morning at 7:30am so there's not really much time left over for studying exams except maybe weekends but the main reason i have stayed relatively silent until now is that knowing what to do with so little time can be confusing. for example i could dive into a million things to study for this job before starting the actuary exams and if i don't then my employers/contractors look at me like i'm slacking while the other reps. continue to add to their credentials and acumen. maybe instead of giving me cat calls you should consider offering some pragmatic solutions.
Cry me a river? Bro, over the last year I've completed 19 courses for my AS program which is very similar to your course load, gotten straight A's in math, averaged 60 hours a week at work, passed 2 exams on my first attempt, going on 4 before I graduate, and I have a family on top of it. I get up at 6 every morning and I'm not done with my day until I close my books at 1 AM, even on the weekends. Recruiters see this. You wan't an actuarial job? Then start competing on my level. There is your pragmatic solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
captain_epsilon, I don't consider my academic background much above average (if even that) for this career. I had more math/stats/finance/econ courses than you. Your assumption that this is sufficient is arrogant, and you're not going to get a job until you suck it up and pass a couple exams. You aren't competing against the average act sci grad: only the above average are getting jobs.

I studied for P for a total of 4 hours (night before test), FM for about 40 (2 weeks) to pass them first attempt. If your academic background is as good as you think, this is a tiny commitment.

Last edited by Peetie Skunk; 11-01-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Old 11-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Are you me? My experience was very similar outside of coursework (and my probability class wasn't based on the SOA's syllabus). My studying specific to P was about 2 hours in Prometric's parking lot prior to my exam time reading the summary sheets in an Actex manual. My FM was similar to yours as well. Both were first attempt passes.

The basic story captain is that if you do have the background you claim to, and are as smart as you think you are, then passing the first 2 exams should be a matter of getting off a day of work to take them. If this doesn't work for you, then I hope it's a humbling enough experience to show that you have some work to do in order to enter the career.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 PM
SOA AAA

Man, reading captain epsilon's old posts is pretty entertaining. He's not quite at TZK / eagles levels, but he's certainly the closest in a long time.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
CAS AktŁerler Derneği

Studying for Exam FM
College: Hacettepe University

Quote:

Just checked the course-load list, I do have more classes as an act-sci student (in Turkey). And here we do have very similar exams to the ones in USA. (Studying for P, the similarity is quite obvious). Some of my tutors are CEOs and CFOs who formerly served as actuaries, who push us really hard and observe our progress from the first hand and yet no one hands us a job simply because we take loads of related course work before passing those exams. I'm guessing job market is hell of a lot more competitive in US, let's face it there are only like 200 actuaries here and what, thousands in U.S? Insurance market is a lot bigger in U.S that's for sure but even I know there's shortage on jobs over there and there is nothing you can do about the hiring process. You know why? Because you are a single human being and no one cares about what you think before you are somebody. Sorry but that's the truth. They have options, you don't. You have to play by the rules until you are above them, so stop whining and get to work. It's all for the better in the long run.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

Cry me a river too, bro

Tags
finance, major, opinion