Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65536 View Post
I will be taking real analysis during my senior year; is it required for reinsurance? And why would I forget my SAT score?
Of course it is, but you need to learn ZF Set Theory, Measure Theory, and Algebraic Topology on top of that.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: C
Old 01-06-2015, 03:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post

bro - this is the guy who thinks anyone making less than $100K is "pond scum"

at this point it's pretty clear this is a troll
Old 01-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
Understanding real analysis is a plus, but not required. That way your employer won't need to teach you it on the job.

In regards to the SAT score, employers have recently been placing significantly more emphasis on it. Ke$ha recently reported he attended an interview where his SAT was discussed, but GPA was otherwise ignored.
It seems weird to me to stress high school performance over college performance. I'm proud of my Math SAT score, but I don't think performing well in algebra says much about my knowledge of higher-level mathematics. It's good to hear that the job might involve more math though.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 PM
SOA

College: MIT... T... Tech. I go to ITT Tech
Favorite beer: Free Beer

Quote:
It seems weird to me to stress high school performance over college performance. I'm proud of my Math SAT score, but I don't think performing well in algebra says much about my knowledge of higher-level mathematics. It's good to hear that the job might involve more math though.
You will use the knowledge tested on the SAT far more than your knowledge of higher-level mathematics. And that knowledge still won't be used terribly often. Also SAT score<>high school performance.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:39 PM
SOA

Studying for GI Intro to Ratemaking
Favorite beer: Game Day

Quote:
What you learn in college matters less than where you actually went. That's why your SAT score matters so much, b/c it's indicative of what kind of school you might have been eligible to study at.

You can "learn" real analysis at some Podunk state school and ace the course, perhaps. That doesn't mean you were smart enough to go to study at, say, a Cornell or Stanford. That's a certain amount of innate intelligence that is measured in your SAT score that trumps almost any college level performance. That's why I'm really not surprised that employers are asking about your SAT's more and more instead of your GPA.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:12 AM
SOA

Quote:
What you learn in college matters less than where you actually went. That's why your SAT score matters so much, b/c it's indicative of what kind of school you might have been eligible to study at.

You can "learn" real analysis at some Podunk state school and ace the course, perhaps. That doesn't mean you were smart enough to go to study at, say, a Cornell or Stanford. That's a certain amount of innate intelligence that is measured in your SAT score that trumps almost any college level performance. That's why I'm really not surprised that employers are asking about your SAT's more and more instead of your GPA.
It sounds like your trolling but I can't tell..SAT score is so far from important its not even funny. Where you went to school is somewhat more important, but not by much.

They key to getting the right job is to show the interview that you can work well and work well with others. The fact that your verbal score was only xxx or that you went to some crap state school are easily explainable with good interview skills.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:24 AM
SOA

Even jokes about SAT scores and real analysis got this thread all riled up.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:26 AM
SOA

Studying for GI Intro to Ratemaking
Favorite beer: Game Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectstar View Post
It sounds like your trolling but I can't tell..SAT score is so far from important its not even funny. Where you went to school is somewhat more important, but not by much.

They key to getting the right job is to show the interview that you can work well and work well with others. The fact that your verbal score was only xxx or that you went to some crap state school are easily explainable with good interview skills.
Ask Ke$ha.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:27 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
If you wanted to make a lot of money why would you choose to be an actuary?

Be a surgeon
like a surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM
SOA

Quote:
Ask Ke$ha.
Ask Ke$sha what? I've never even talked to Ke$sha before...wait why have I never talked to Ke$sha before. Whats up Ke$sha?

Tags
certifications, dolla dolla bills y'all, get rich or die tryin', jane street, pond scum, salary, starting