Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 07-22-2019, 05:40 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
In the professional sections people generally only respond if they have something new to add. A single early comprehensive response might be the only one you need - and get. It doesn't mean that others aren't reading your resume, and (in not replying) are agreeing with any existing feedback.
That makes sense. Thank you for the insight!
Old 07-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'd indent all text under the section headings a little. That makes for format stand out even more and, not so intuitively, tends to make the resume look less dense.

I'd leave only dates on the right margin. That makes it easier for the reader to see a timeline and it also tends to make the resume look less dense.

I'd abbreviate months. That makes it a tad less dense and tends to make things line up a little more.

I'd avoid italics. It is harder to read.

I'd move exams to the top. "Exams" is a real word and means exactly the same thing as Examinations. I'd use the shorter word. I'd put the exam on the left, then left-align the Sitting/Preliminary Pass fairly closely to the exam.

City, st can go right after the employer/school, separated by a comma.

I'd abbreviate B.S. I'd probably not bullet the rest. I'd try to put the minor on a separate line where it will be easier to see. 3 semesters of dean's list with a GPA of 3.96 just seems wrong. Dean's list is a reflection of GPA and I'd have expected every semester with a 3.96. If that really is your GPA, I'd just go with that and get rid of the dean's list. I might get rid of the dean's list if that isn't your GPA, too - you seem to also be saying that you had 5 semesters where you weren't on the dean's list. It's a waste of space, imo.

You should only use 3 bullets if you have 3 things worth saying. Keep the focus on what you accomplished/did. So no "work in a team", "travel", "interacted", "prepared", "participated" (how did you participate?). Trying to hype weak bullets only makes them weaker - so the "all" and "while focusing ..." and "simultaneously" and "while maintaining ..." don't help. If that's a bullet, it is "Distributed iPads to incoming students". Mentioning supervisors doesn't help. All it does is give them credit for what was done and make you the person that just did what they were told. Did you actually give demonstrations? Then just say that.

And since you mentioned it, don't underestimate the reader. Worked in a team is generally assumed (although handing a person an ipad doesn't seem like it would actually require much teamwork - at least not much non-trivial teamwork. that presents a different problem - if you claim teamwork in something that doesn't seem to require it, it just reads like BS filler and is more likely to get the resume in the reject pile). Whether it was all students or not seems completely irrelevant. Again, that's a pretty trivial "multi-tasked". Similarly with the problem solving. Consider that all of us have an ipad or phone and have gone through the setup process. You're making a big deal about stuff we've all done. So, yeah, you helped figure out how they screwed up the setup, but it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to spend a lot of words on. If you make a big deal about something we've all done, what does that say about you? Just something to consider.

I would consider thinning out the activities and leadership. There's enough to get the reader to stop reading imo. The day at the sci fest seems like one that could be cut. Maybe more.

Content Coordinator seems like a nice title and isn't helped by adding "Team Member". That's less impressive, not more.

I might leave off the "and published content". First guess is the content is the articles you just mentioned, in which case it is filler. It wouldn't make sense to not publish those, would it?

You've left an article out of that last bullet. They've very small and greatly aid in readability. It also makes it unclear enough that I can't tell if it should be "accounts".

OK, the last half of the very last bullet is where you hint at an accomplishment. Accomplishments are generally better at selling you than tasks. How much growth was there? What do you attribute it to? Can you claim reasonably claim credit for it? I'm guessing that the answer is yes and has to do with the analysis of content engagement, but it is written confusingly enough to make it not clear. (especially the "while ...", which doesn't seem to be the appropriate word there) If so, make this a bullet and make it stand out more prominently. And it is more reason to further thin out the section so this stands out more.

To answer the new question #10, no, don't list "MS" or "Microsoft". That's just filler.

I'm not a fan of the double column of bullets. It takes way more effort to read, which just makes it less likely it is all gonna get read. I'd leave off Word and PP.

It looks like one of the horizontal lines might be of a different thickness. Make them he same.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 07-25-2019, 09:40 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
I'd indent all text under the section headings a little. That makes for format stand out even more and, not so intuitively, tends to make the resume look less dense.

I'd leave only dates on the right margin. That makes it easier for the reader to see a timeline and it also tends to make the resume look less dense.

I'd abbreviate months. That makes it a tad less dense and tends to make things line up a little more.

I'd avoid italics. It is harder to read.

I'd move exams to the top. "Exams" is a real word and means exactly the same thing as Examinations. I'd use the shorter word. I'd put the exam on the left, then left-align the Sitting/Preliminary Pass fairly closely to the exam.

City, st can go right after the employer/school, separated by a comma.

I'd abbreviate B.S. I'd probably not bullet the rest. I'd try to put the minor on a separate line where it will be easier to see. 3 semesters of dean's list with a GPA of 3.96 just seems wrong. Dean's list is a reflection of GPA and I'd have expected every semester with a 3.96. If that really is your GPA, I'd just go with that and get rid of the dean's list. I might get rid of the dean's list if that isn't your GPA, too - you seem to also be saying that you had 5 semesters where you weren't on the dean's list. It's a waste of space, imo.

You should only use 3 bullets if you have 3 things worth saying. Keep the focus on what you accomplished/did. So no "work in a team", "travel", "interacted", "prepared", "participated" (how did you participate?). Trying to hype weak bullets only makes them weaker - so the "all" and "while focusing ..." and "simultaneously" and "while maintaining ..." don't help. If that's a bullet, it is "Distributed iPads to incoming students". Mentioning supervisors doesn't help. All it does is give them credit for what was done and make you the person that just did what they were told. Did you actually give demonstrations? Then just say that.

And since you mentioned it, don't underestimate the reader. Worked in a team is generally assumed (although handing a person an ipad doesn't seem like it would actually require much teamwork - at least not much non-trivial teamwork. that presents a different problem - if you claim teamwork in something that doesn't seem to require it, it just reads like BS filler and is more likely to get the resume in the reject pile). Whether it was all students or not seems completely irrelevant. Again, that's a pretty trivial "multi-tasked". Similarly with the problem solving. Consider that all of us have an ipad or phone and have gone through the setup process. You're making a big deal about stuff we've all done. So, yeah, you helped figure out how they screwed up the setup, but it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to spend a lot of words on. If you make a big deal about something we've all done, what does that say about you? Just something to consider.

I would consider thinning out the activities and leadership. There's enough to get the reader to stop reading imo. The day at the sci fest seems like one that could be cut. Maybe more.

Content Coordinator seems like a nice title and isn't helped by adding "Team Member". That's less impressive, not more.

I might leave off the "and published content". First guess is the content is the articles you just mentioned, in which case it is filler. It wouldn't make sense to not publish those, would it?

You've left an article out of that last bullet. They've very small and greatly aid in readability. It also makes it unclear enough that I can't tell if it should be "accounts".

OK, the last half of the very last bullet is where you hint at an accomplishment. Accomplishments are generally better at selling you than tasks. How much growth was there? What do you attribute it to? Can you claim reasonably claim credit for it? I'm guessing that the answer is yes and has to do with the analysis of content engagement, but it is written confusingly enough to make it not clear. (especially the "while ...", which doesn't seem to be the appropriate word there) If so, make this a bullet and make it stand out more prominently. And it is more reason to further thin out the section so this stands out more.

To answer the new question #10, no, don't list "MS" or "Microsoft". That's just filler.

I'm not a fan of the double column of bullets. It takes way more effort to read, which just makes it less likely it is all gonna get read. I'd leave off Word and PP.

It looks like one of the horizontal lines might be of a different thickness. Make them he same.
Wow! Thank you so much for all the effort you put into reading my resume and writing up that post. I will make adjustments to my resume accordingly. A few follow up/ clarification questions:

1) Indenting everything under my headings by a tab looks way too odd, and indenting by a single space makes it look like I made a mistake in aligning. How much indenting would you suggest? 2-3 spaces?
2) In regards to changing how I list my City, ST and dates: Should I add a period after every abbreviation? e.g. Jun. 2018 vs Jun 2018. The reason I ask is because if I use a period, some months won't have a period (May) and the inconsistency bothers me a little. Also, with the locations next to the organization separated by a comma, should I have the locations in bold as well? Or unbold them?
3) "I'd put the exam on the left, then left-align the Sitting/Preliminary Pass fairly closely to the exam" I don't exactly understand what you mean by this. Do you mean listing them like FM - Preliminary Pass \n P - Sitting?
4) In regards to the deans list, I wasn't technically a full time student my first semester because I dropped a class that I realized I wouldn't need anymore, putting me at 1 credit hour under the full-time requirement which is needed to be eligible. I guess it'd be best for me to remove the deans list entirely then.
5) I can't seem to find the horizontal line that is a different thickness. Which one were you looking at?
6) You said I shouldn't bullet the rest under B.S. How then should I list the specialization/ minor? Simply indented without bullets?
7) I'm still struggling with making my bullets less fluff-y, even from receiving that same feedback from the first poster on this thread. All my jobs were heavily task-oriented (they were first-job type jobs) and didn't give me the opportunity to accomplish many things or improve processes. If I only focused on things I accomplished, I would quite literally have only a couple bullet points worth of material total on my resume. I just don't really know what to do about this. I was told before that I should hype up what I've done and being told the opposite here is making me feel conflicted. I feel very stuck on this and would appreciate advice on this particularly, as it seems the most important improvement-wise.
8) "Again, that's a pretty trivial "multi-tasked". Similarly with the problem solving. Consider that all of us have an ipad or phone and have gone through the setup process. You're making a big deal about stuff we've all done." You'd be quite surprised at the amount of technologically illiterate people I have to deal with on a day to day basis, which don't understand how to do the most simple of things and thus requiring me to walk them through carefully and explain every detail thoroughly. For many people this actually is a big deal that they need plenty of help with. And for the majority of my shift I'm walking through the process with 8 students simultaneously and at least 1-3 that I really have to spend a lot of effort helping while also keeping track on where everyone's at in the process. I'd personally consider this multi-tasking. Also very odd/ random errors pop up all the time that I have to troubleshoot my way through, and I considered this to be training my problem solving skills. Do you still think I should remove these things from my resume?

Again, thank you so much for your time spent helping me.

Last edited by hefferTx; 07-25-2019 at 09:43 PM..
Old 07-26-2019, 01:35 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

1) Yeah, it doesn't have to be a lot
2) I personally think it looks better without the period. The old standard was with the period (and spelling out June and July, in addition to May), but everyone is very familiar with the three-letter no-period style from Excel, dbs, etc. And, as you say, they line up better. I didn't really look at the bolding. jwitt had already mentioned it, I think. I think it's best used to highlight what you want the reader to focus on, but some can make the resume look better.
3) I'd leave off the hyphens. Basically kind of tabular, but not spread across the page. It is especially better when there are more exams, but even with the two lines I think it would make it easier to read.
5) The first line looked thicker to me. It may just be how it displayed for me.
6) You don't need indent or bullets. I guess the reason I like it with all the lines flush is that bulleting (or indenting) tends to make your eyes skip somewhat. All the lines seem pretty important and I look at bullets as emphasizing some, which means de-emphasizing others. It's not a big deal, though.
7) Your experience is what it is and that's ok. It's best if you list accomplishments, and that's why I mentioned the content bullet specifically as something that might have potential. But over-hyping doesn't make you sound better. And it even has the possibility of making the reader think that you think lame stuff is great, which kind of lowers the bar on you. If you don't have stuff to hype, I think keeping it simple works best.
8) I'm probably mostly just biased against "multi-tasking". Everyone does it. It's kind of like "communicating", another thing that pops up on a lot of resumes.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE