Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 1-5
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-02-2016, 08:17 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
"To reiterate, it is not expected that you are an experienced economist or futurist (hence under Precept 2 [Qualification Standards] of the Code of Professional Conduct you should not do this work). The problem presented by this exercise is how to quantify these risks. Please assign arbitrary ranges to the key parameters and claim that this is defensible and defend them as an actuary does in real life. Good luck enhancing your skills at bullshitting your way through this profession."

FSA Requirements
All exams, modules, & DMAC
FAC (December 2019)
Old 12-10-2016, 06:18 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

It is hard to not be a futurist when it directly asks for you to calculate values. I'm especially hung up on CEx in the bad scenario. It says hyperinflation returns, any kind of bond type investment would need a pretty crazy rate to offset hyperinflation over a long period - so much so that it effectively becomes a short term investment as the out years are almost nothing due to inflation (which brings up another point, very frustrating that it doesn't say how long the investment is for)
Old 12-11-2016, 11:49 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP

One could argue Venezuela is that scenario right now. I think their bods yields are about 17% or something along those lines (the New York Times had an article on it about a year ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.ac View Post
It is hard to not be a futurist when it directly asks for you to calculate values. I'm especially hung up on CEx in the bad scenario. It says hyperinflation returns, any kind of bond type investment would need a pretty crazy rate to offset hyperinflation over a long period - so much so that it effectively becomes a short term investment as the out years are almost nothing due to inflation (which brings up another point, very frustrating that it doesn't say how long the investment is for)
Old 12-11-2016, 04:40 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowactuary View Post
One could argue Venezuela is that scenario right now. I think their bods yields are about 17% or something along those lines (the New York Times had an article on it about a year ago).
I was looking at Latin Amerian countries with low ratings and came across Venezuela. I found an article they had 46% yield bonds and 500% inflation, so I'm assuming that meant USD denominated: http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-a-46...vefyre-comment
Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Bud Light, a lot of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.ac View Post
You're overthinking this. Just pick a random number that's in the right direction in relation to the number given in the problem and give a reason why the number would move in that direction. It doesn't even have to actually be the right direction. It just has to be consistent with your explanation, which itself has to be nothing more than coherent.

FSA Exams: ERM ILALP ILALFV
Old 12-12-2016, 01:14 PM
SOA

IMO, of the first 5 modules, EOM2 was the worst. EOM4 was a close 2nd (ERM propaganda module)

I had some fun with 1 and 3. Those were well written reports.

Tags
eom2