Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 05-03-2018, 01:45 PM
SOA

College: Eastern Michigan U
Default STAM exam sample #319

If in the syllabus does not show Discounting Loss Reserves (even if it's part of Chapter 3 of the Brown book that is included as the reference) why would they have a sample with it? I am attaching the questionnaire.

"Stam 319 : Calculate the ratio of discounted reserves to undiscounted reserves as of December 31, CY8."

Syllabus: "9. Topic: Pricing and Reserving for Short-Term Insurance Coverages (15-25%)
Learning Objectives
The Candidate will be able to use basic methods to calculate premiums and reserves for short-term insurance coverages.
Learning Outcomes
The Candidate will be able to:
a) Explain the role of rating factors and exposure.
b) Describe the different forms of experience rating.
c) Describe and apply techniques for estimating unpaid losses from a run-off triangle, using the following methods:
• Chain ladder
• Average cost per claim
• Bornhuetter Ferguson
d) Describe the underlying statistical models for the methods in (c).
e) Calculate premiums using the pure premium and loss ratio methods."

do we need to infer then that Discounting Reserves is part of the exam, although not explicit in the syllabus? (and if STAM is SHORT TERM, why discounting when there is nothing like it in the old C exam? ). I know it's not a big deal but we had another 500 small deals. Perhaps it's there so we can use the calculator....an easy question with a lot of keystrokes to enter wrongly.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2018-04-exam-stam-questions.pdf (629.1 KB, 69 views)

German

Last edited by gauchodelpaso; 05-04-2018 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: addtl material
Old 05-05-2018, 10:07 PM
SOA

I guess there is no interest yet in STAM? I guess everybody is focused in passing C in June?

German
Old 05-06-2018, 12:48 AM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchodelpaso View Post
If in the syllabus does not show Discounting Loss Reserves (even if it's part of Chapter 3 of the Brown book that is included as the reference) why would they have a sample with it? I am attaching the questionnaire.

"Stam 319 : Calculate the ratio of discounted reserves to undiscounted reserves as of December 31, CY8."

Syllabus: "9. Topic: Pricing and Reserving for Short-Term Insurance Coverages (15-25%)
Learning Objectives
The Candidate will be able to use basic methods to calculate premiums and reserves for short-term insurance coverages.
Learning Outcomes
The Candidate will be able to:
a) Explain the role of rating factors and exposure.
b) Describe the different forms of experience rating.
c) Describe and apply techniques for estimating unpaid losses from a run-off triangle, using the following methods:
Chain ladder
Average cost per claim
Bornhuetter Ferguson
d) Describe the underlying statistical models for the methods in (c).
e) Calculate premiums using the pure premium and loss ratio methods."

do we need to infer then that Discounting Reserves is part of the exam, although not explicit in the syllabus? (and if STAM is SHORT TERM, why discounting when there is nothing like it in the old C exam? ). I know it's not a big deal but we had another 500 small deals. Perhaps it's there so we can use the calculator....an easy question with a lot of keystrokes to enter wrongly.
The bottom line is that candidates are responsible for everything in the readings, whether or not a topic is mentioned in the learning objectives. Over the (too) many years I've been following these exams closely, I've seen many things that ARE mentioned in the learning objectives that are almost never tested, while some things that are NOT mentioned get tested with some regularity.

Also, sample questions/exams do not seem to be created with a great deal of care, unfortunately. I recall when a sample exam was released for the old Course 4 and a distinguished statistician who was an FSA and director of a major academic actuarial program found herself unable to complete the exam in _several_ hours. Things have improved, in my opinion, but quality control remains low. [The very competent and hard-working Stuart Klugman cannot keep an eye on everything.]
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 05-07-2018, 12:16 AM
SOA

Thank you, Jim! you are always so helpful to us! It's a very interesting point of view, and very realistic.

German
Old 05-08-2018, 06:46 PM
SOA AAA

By the way, I find it noteworthy that none of the new sample questions relate to the new health insurance study note.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:03 PM
SOA

perhaps I need to take the exam before they figure it out. The added material and textbook is like 10 ranks below exam C's... It seems like somebody acted in haste.

German
Old 05-10-2018, 04:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
By the way, I find it noteworthy that none of the new sample questions relate to the new health insurance study note.
Hi, Dr Weishaus! Personally I never thought that my 30 year experience dealing with private medical/dental insurance, as a user / employee would qualify me for an exam. But after reading the study note, I felt like I was reading the information when I was qualifying for a plan each year! And the same thing now with the Medicare Plans that are 100% more complex than the study note.

Benefits of being an old timer.

German

German

Tags
discount loss reserving, loss reserving, stam