Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 10-07-2017, 10:31 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Default Spring 2018 MLC Progress Thread

Just passed C yesterday. If I'm not mistaken this is supposed to be the last offering for MLC and it's generally regarded to be the hardest prelim these days. Luckily I have the ASM manual so studying starts today.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:38 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Calgary

I am writing C Tuesday morning. However, I haven't prepared enough. Totally underestimated the exam. If I don't pass, I am planning on writing it in Feb and also studying for MLC for April after. Wonder if MLC is harder than C. Since I have already gone through the material for C, I estimate just needing about 2 months so I can study for MLC. Planning on using ASM for that.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:10 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarymeryl View Post
I am writing C Tuesday morning. However, I haven't prepared enough. Totally underestimated the exam. If I don't pass, I am planning on writing it in Feb and also studying for MLC for April after. Wonder if MLC is harder than C. Since I have already gone through the material for C, I estimate just needing about 2 months so I can study for MLC. Planning on using ASM for that.
Why MLC but not MFE? Even though both MFE and MLC are changing to different exams next year I'd think you'd have a better chance at passing MFE. There is way less material.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:57 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Calgary

Basically it was because I had attempted MLC before they changed the curriculum. Since it was the last time before the curriculum would change (and be included as CAS) I took the exam but was unsuccessful. I took Exam C (but TIA) for the same reason because the curriculum would change. Since I took the coaching actuaries for MLC, I still have the 6 month subscription. Same with Exam C. I also waited because I thought the MFE curriculum change back them would make it easier. I have questioned why I am doing the easiest exam last but it just turned out that way. Hopefully I pass both MLC and C next year. I have not gotten an Actuarial job yet due to only passing 2 exams so I'll try my luck with 4 exams. I heard it's not a good idea to do 5 exams without any work experience. Also if I am successful getting my foot in the door, it would be beneficial to have to do the easiest exam while working full time. If I am not successful getting into Actuarial Science after 4 exams, I may have to move to the US or drop the career all together (even though I really want to be an Actuary and am not sure what to do if not that).
Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Truman State University Alumni

Passed C today and am riding the study wave myself. Got my first job in spring this year and had bid season (I'm in health) so wasn't able to take many study hours for C in the summer, so instead decided to take in the fall. Passing exams is soooooo much easier with study hours. That being said, I didn't start studying for C until Sept, thus the last month has been hell with all the studying I've done. Trying to space it out this time.

What kind of study materials are everyone using?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC

Congrats on both the pass and the job! Heard some bad things bid season.

I'm using ASM for my study manual because I used it for the other 4 prelims. I'll probably using ADAPT for practice exams as well as old SOA exams, but that's not until later.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:38 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
Congrats on both the pass and the job! Heard some bad things bid season.

I'm using ASM for my study manual because I used it for the other 4 prelims. I'll probably using ADAPT for practice exams as well as old SOA exams, but that's not until later.
Congrats to yourself on the pass as well! Bid season was rough, but I can't complain too much. I worked those same kind of hours year round at my last non-actuarial job. Now it's much slower and I would've never passed C if I was still at that other job.

Where'd you buy the ASM from? In the past I've gotten the manual through CA but I only see a 180 day access on their site which I'm guessing isn't long enough for me if I want to start studying ASAP.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:46 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_Kyle View Post
Where'd you buy the ASM from? In the past I've gotten the manual through CA but I only see a 180 day access on their site which I'm guessing isn't long enough for me if I want to start studying ASAP.
I bought it from the Actuarial Bookstore I think.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

For any of you getting started on MLC for the Spring 2018 sitting, any TIA MLC seminar registrations for this month will be automatically extended beyond the usual 6-month period up to the Spring MLC exam date, April 27th.

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Old 10-10-2017, 06:33 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
I bought it from the Actuarial Bookstore I think.
Gonna buy it tonight then. Still need to take a final for the CA Micro VEE but that'll be easy peezy. Also need macro and corporate finance VEE's but that won't take more than 2 weeks. What's your aim timeline wise? I'm just hoping to get through the material ASAP then have months to take PE's and review. I (quite stupidly) waited too long to start on C, and the last month has been hell. This time I'd like the last month before the exam to be a lot less frantic.

Last edited by STL_Kyle; 10-10-2017 at 07:14 PM..