Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 08-20-2018, 12:56 PM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
That's frustrating - hoping we get some of those famous San Juan monsoons soon (if only to clear the air a bit - I know most of the smoke itself is coming from the west, and we're down to 3 or 4 west of your spot within the state).
Monsoon season is over, I fear, so no help from that. It is very dry and the Monsoon rains were mostly thunder and lightening anyway.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 08-20-2018, 01:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
I assume there would be a process for CAS members as well and for members of the other five actuarial organizations. I would expect, since the CAS, for example, would not want just anyone to be able change a directory listing, that the DAS member would have to log on to a CAS member only website in order to imitate a change to his or her directory listing. If it is not possible to do that, it would be news to me and, clearly, something to correct.

So, I am not sure if there is a problem
Quote:
My CAS profile has everything up-to-date.
If the CAS has the correct information and the SOA does not, then it seems like there is nothing that an individual CAS member can do to correct the listing, which is indeed a problem IMO.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:08 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
If the CAS has the correct information and the SOA does not, then it seems like there is nothing that an individual CAS member can do to correct the listing, which is indeed a problem IMO.
There may be something I am not understanding since I don't use the CAS website.

When I log on to the soa.org website and go to the Actuarial Directory what comes up is a webpage that has, among other things, a link to push labeled "Update Your Profile". When I press that link I get a page with the following notice:

"The Online Directory of Actuarial Memberships is a unique resource to help you find an actuary, whether you are a member of the actuarial profession or are seeking an actuary’s expertise. This directory is comprised of members of the actuarial profession from the following organizations: American Academy of Actuaries, American Society of Pension Actuaries, Canadian Institute of Actuaries, Casualty Actuarial Society, Conference of Consulting Actuaries and the Society of Actuaries."

And, in order to update my directory profile, I have to log on with my personal member ID and password.

Is there nothing similar on the CAS website?

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 08-20-2018, 02:33 PM

CAS maintains its own directory and that's what you will get if you go through the CAS website.

FWIW, I'm not even listed in the SOA's version of the directory.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:35 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

The SOA owns the Actuarial Directory website, and controls it. Anybody with an SOA log-in can adjust their directory listing, but not all CAS members (or any members of the other three orgs) have one.

The CAS has its own member directory, that's not publicly available, as far as I can tell. (I can get to it, because I have a CAS account, but that's not all that common.)

I really doubt the P-E or board members need to know the operational details involved, but I assume the SOA gets updates of the CAS (and other org) listings only periodically and not necessarily at a very high frequency.

If I recall correctly, there has always been this lag between the CAS-only directory and the SOA-run Actuarial Directory. Whether it's longer or shorter now, I do not know.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-20-2018, 03:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
When I log on to the soa.org website
This is the issue right here: CAS members don't have a way to log on to the soa.org website.

Furthermore, CS's designation is wrong. I can't change my actuarial designations. I can change my address / employer / education and a few other fields IIRC, but I can't, say, turn my ASA into an FSA.

If CS is listed as ACAS instead of FCAS, or MAAA is missing (seems like the two most likely forms of "wrong designation" for a CAS member, but I don't actually know what the error is) that's probably not something that he'd be able to fix even if he DID have an SOA login, which he doesn't.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:44 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
The SOA owns the Actuarial Directory website, and controls it. Anybody with an SOA log-in can adjust their directory listing, but not all CAS members (or any members of the other three orgs) have one.

The CAS has its own member directory, that's not publicly available, as far as I can tell. (I can get to it, because I have a CAS account, but that's not all that common.)

I really doubt the P-E or board members need to know the operational details involved, but I assume the SOA gets updates of the CAS (and other org) listings only periodically and not necessarily at a very high frequency.

If I recall correctly, there has always been this lag between the CAS-only directory and the SOA-run Actuarial Directory. Whether it's longer or shorter now, I do not know.
OK, maybe this is the reason. There has always been a lag. But, at this point I have no idea why. I can, certainly, look into it.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 08-20-2018, 05:04 PM
CAS

SOA could always just scrape the CAS directory, right?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:22 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post

I hope that somebody can help get this problem addressed.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:24 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
OK, maybe this is the reason. There has always been a lag. But, at this point I have no idea why. I can, certainly, look into it.
Thanks.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.