Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 07-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Default 2018 SOA Board Petition Candidates

I'm splitting this off from the other elections thread, just to focus on the petition candidates for the Board.

Here are the 6 people running as Board petition candidates:

Quote:
Ronald L. Klein, FSA, MAAA
Roger Loomis, FSA, MAAA
John W. Robinson, FSA, MAAA, FCA
Mitchell Serota, FSA, MAAA, EA
Marc Slutzky, FSA, MAAA, CERA, FCA
Martin Snow, FSA, MAAA
You can select up to 3 of the Petition candidates for the Board. Please do so.

To vote, go here:
https://www.directvote.net/soavotepet/

There's a link "Email my login information", which is also this:
https://www.directvote.net/soavotepet/sendID.aspx

The login for the vote is different from your SOA login, so you may as well ask for the login information.

The Petition vote runs from today (July 5) until August 3.

From the SOA site: https://www.soa.org/elections/board-elections/

Any of the candidates will need support from 601 eligible voting members to get on the official ballot.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

As mentioned in the other thread, I will be voting for Martin Snow (and two others, which I will post about later)

here is Martin's statement:

Quote:
Mary Pat,

On Thursday, July 5, the SOA’s vendor, DirectVote, is sending you a petition form with an ID and Password, allowing you to nominate me for SOA Board of Directors using the SOA petition process.

The big question you probably have right now is why should you support me?

I have been in the trenches for over 30 years and know the issues that you face. If you nominate and elect me, I will promote and strengthen the skills of the actuarial profession and assure that senior managements recognize the roles we can and should play. I will use my strong leadership skills to make a difference for you and your profession.

Please take a moment to review my qualifications below and then nominate me using the petition link sent to you by the SOA. .

After you complete the petition, please let me know. Likewise, if you encounter any difficulties please let me know so that I help you resolve the problem.

Here are some of the credentials that make me a very qualified candidate for the SOA Board:
• Decision maker who proactively addresses the problems facing our industry and profession.

• Thought leader who presents regularly at actuarial functions and writes articles on many different topics including Risk Management, Predictive Analytics, and Principle Based Reserves.

• Strong advocate for the actuarial profession who has always built and engaged diverse teams and held up our high ethical standards.

• Worked closely with actuaries at many different types of companies, including direct writers and reinsurers, industry and regulators, insurers, consulting firms, software vendors, and trade organizations, as well as producers and distributors.

• Worked in many different capacities including pricing, reserving, regulatory issues, reinsurance, and predictive analytics for life insurance, annuities, long term care and long term disability.

Using these skills and contacts, as well as my industry and professional knowledge, I will make a difference for you!

For more information on my leadership approach, please see the enclosed document.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like additional information and please share this note with your colleagues and connections. .

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Martin Snow

I've attached the PDF.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Martin Snow Qualifications.pdf (109.4 KB, 88 views)

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

I've attached a statement from Roger Loomis.

I will copy over his opening paragraph:
Quote:
Why I want to be on the board

The SOA has recently made some important strategic decisions, and I would like to be on the board to help it continue moving in the right direction. Specifically, it is important that the SOA focuses on cutting-edge research and providing the best basic and continuing education opportunities available anywhere in order to maintain and enhance the value that actuaries can offer in this changing world. To be a successful international research and educational organization, it is vital that we have excellent working partnerships with other actuarial organizations with country-specific focuses such as the AAA, the CIA, and CAA.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SOA Board Questionnaire Loomis 2018.pdf (277.5 KB, 157 views)

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-06-2018, 12:11 AM
SOA CCA AAA

College: University of the West Indies
Default John Robinson For SOA Board 2018

Mary Pat,

Thank you for the opportunity to present myself to the Outpost Community.

I served on the SOA Board from 2013 to 2016. I earned a reputation for independence and a global perspective. Since the SOA is a global organization, and since my first responsibility is to offer my own views whether or not others agree, my colleagues found these very valuable attributes.

In Board service, a mix of experiences and perspectives will produce better-informed decisions. I bring to the Board the unique perspective of someone raised in a developing country, Jamaica, and who has strong relationships with the leaders of all of the major actuarial organizations and several smaller ones. I believe that an appreciation of the differing aspirations of other organizations is key to maintaining mutually beneficial relationships, as indicated in the Strategic Plan.

Like all of the EBM candidates, I have a long volunteer record, including serving as president of the International Association of Black Actuaries. I usually get high marks for my presentations at SOA and other meetings.

I am a staunch advocate for Diversity in the workplace and in the actuarial profession. Now that the Diversity Research project has been completed, I would like to see the profession make a large-scale effort to solve the problem of minority under-representation and continue to explore other Diversity dimensions.

As you consider who you would like to see added to the ballot, please consider what your candidate(s) can add to the Board.

My campaign video will be out shortly.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Thank you.

John Robinson FSA, FCA, MAAA
Old 07-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Thanks for posting, John!

Again, a reminder: you can vote for UP TO THREE petition candidates for Board.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Here is the Board Questionnaire for Marc Slutzky.

Why he wants to be on the Board:

Quote:
I want to join the SOA Board to contribute to setting the strategic direction of the profession and expand our opportunities, including in new areas such as predictive analytics. I have had an intellectually rewarding career, with opportunities to learn and grow, and to live and work in the U.S. and abroad. I want to continue to give back to the profession as I have done by chairing the SOA International Section, working on the Valuation Actuary Symposium Organizing Committee, disseminating SOA research, speaking at industry meetings, and as chair the 1,000 member Life Section of the International Actuarial Association.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2018 EBM Qnaire FINAL M_Slutzky.pdf (260.3 KB, 61 views)

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

And here's a statement from Ronald Klein:

Quote:
As a Board member from 2014-2017, Ronnie often voiced views slightly different from the mainstream which brought broader discussion amongst the Board. He introduced practical ideas such as using an automated system for Board calls, which eliminated the need for tedious voice votes, and updating the Actuarial Directory to include a “+” in front of the country dialing code so that those member living outside of Canada and the US could easily dial into the US with the touch of the phone number.

Ronnie also introduced more philosophical ideas such as addressing diversity at is root cause. Ronnie would like to see the SOA get more involved with educating minorities about science and math so that these minorities may become SOA members. Once this happens, diversity on the SOA Board will become much less of an issue. Simply putting a bandaid on the problem will not solve it. He also was on a team that created the summer intern program for actuarial students into non-traditional areas such as NASA and Google to show off the skills of actuaries. This should help expand job opportunities for the SOA membership.

Finally, having worked and lived in 3 countries for some of the largest insurers and reinsurers in the world, Ronnie has a broad perspective on international development of the SOA.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-06-2018, 03:49 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

I've already mentioned my endorsement of Martin Snow, but here are the three I've voted for:

Ronald L. Klein, FSA, MAAA
Roger Loomis, FSA, MAAA
Martin Snow, FSA, MAAA

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Got an email from Martin Snow this morning, about the relationships between the actuarial orgs.

Here's what he wrote:

Quote:
I was asked by a number of you how I feel about the interactions between the different actuarial organizations. Very simply put, I believe strongly in cooperation, not in competition. To elaborate a bit:

I believe that the entire actuarial profession will benefit by uniting our organizational views, avoiding competition with each other, and speaking with a single voice. Inter-organization communication will be much more effective as soon as the other actuarial organizations know that the SOA's primary mission is cooperation - not competition.

I believe that this is consistent with the viewpoints expressed by President-Elect Glickman and by President Lombardi.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Got an email from Martin Snow this morning, about the relationships between the actuarial orgs.

Here's what he wrote:
I like how inter-organization communication depends on the other organizations getting with the program, rather than the SOA actually demonstrating that its mission is cooperation. There are some clear steps SOA could take to show that, but I don't see any of them mentioned by any of the candidates here.

None of them will get my vote.