Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 08-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
All three P-E candidates sent emails via the SOA.

I put them here:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...3&postcount=14

The SOA generally spaces out sending these mass emails over several hours.
I viewed campbell's link, and neither of the other two volunteered to "answer questions." It will be interesting to see what Tom says when he gets here.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:19 AM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
Hi Tom!

Do you wish to see the SOA & CAS join forces for some of the preliminary exams?

If yes, what needs to happen to accomplish this?

Care to say anything else about the SOA's relationship with CAS?
Of course the CAS and SoA cooperated up until a few years back because there was overlap on the earlier syllabus material. It made economic sense plus had the added, perhaps, unintended positive consequence of delaying when candidates absolutely had to decide on a path.

This cooperation vanished when the SoA decided to challenge the CAS with its General Insurance track.

It seems the overlap still exists for early exams and the profession would benefit from renewing this past cooperation. The concept seems to sell itself if we agree to talk about it.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 08-19-2018, 11:24 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
What's the wildfire smoke like in Ridgway? I need to head that way to climb a few of the San Juans (Wilson and Wilson, I have El Diente already).
The smoke from fires in the SW is very evident. Can't see much more than a gray shadow of Sneffles across the valley. It is not a problem except to people who are sensitive to particulate matter in the air. Some days it is better than others but we will probably wait until winter for it to completely disappear.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 08-19-2018, 11:31 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin-Lover View Post
Hi Tom,

As an SOA volunteer in the exam committee, I understand that SOA has had a hard time getting enough members to volunteer. What are your thoughts on addressing this issue? Thanks!
Well, I was told that there is difficulty in getting younger members involved as volunteers - called "young professional" by the SoA to avoid the term "milenials". You should be able to find at some point a Q&A in video form directed at the three candidates. That was a question asked.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask them.

I was told that the SoA has quite a few volunteers who are more than sufficient to address professional needs. It is the future we are anticipating and trying to address now.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 08-19-2018, 11:35 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Tom Bakos emailed me -- he is currently traveling and will not be able to connect before Sunday. He will answer the questions then.
Thanks - I will try as best I can to check here as often as possible and address any questions asked. But, please feel free to use the traditional email method as well.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 08-19-2018, 02:16 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
The smoke from fires in the SW is very evident. Can't see much more than a gray shadow of Sneffles across the valley. It is not a problem except to people who are sensitive to particulate matter in the air. Some days it is better than others but we will probably wait until winter for it to completely disappear.
Thanks! That makes me sad - even here in Golden, the air makes my contact lenses not work right, so I've been walking around in a fog for a few months at this point.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 08-19-2018, 07:36 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Thanks! That makes me sad - even here in Golden, the air makes my contact lenses not work right, so I've been walking around in a fog for a few months at this point.
It will be no better here. A couple of weeks back I could even smell smoke. The fires weren't close but the smoke was thick.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Tom, have you seen this thread? http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=334612

My questions for you - do you see any hope of getting a bit of cooperation between CAS and SOA to keep the SOA directory information up-to-date on behalf of CAS members? If not, should the SOA directory limit itself to SOA members only? Or is there some other answer?

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:47 AM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakos View Post
It will be no better here. A couple of weeks back I could even smell smoke. The fires weren't close but the smoke was thick.
That's frustrating - hoping we get some of those famous San Juan monsoons soon (if only to clear the air a bit - I know most of the smoke itself is coming from the west, and we're down to 3 or 4 west of your spot within the state).
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 08-20-2018, 12:53 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Tom, have you seen this thread? http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=334612

My questions for you - do you see any hope of getting a bit of cooperation between CAS and SOA to keep the SOA directory information up-to-date on behalf of CAS members? If not, should the SOA directory limit itself to SOA members only? Or is there some other answer?
The link takes me to a post by Colonel Smoothie as follows:

Quote:
Hey,

My listing in actuarialdirectory.org only has my name, the wrong credential listed, and no company information whatsoever. My CAS profile has everything up-to-date. How do I change the listing in actuarial directory? Do I just contact customer service and let them know?
My understanding is that the Actuarial Directory is supposed to be and is billed as a directory of actuaries who are members of all of the following six actuarial professional organizations:

American Academy of Actuaries
American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries
Canadian Institute of Actuaries
Casualty Actuarial Society
Conference of Consulting Actuaries
Society of Actuaries

At least for the SoA, members have access to a process to keep their directory listing up-to-date. I believe one has to log on to the SoA website as a member in order to access your private information. I've used it but not recently and do recall, at least for me, that it was not as intuitive as I would have liked but I did manage to update my listing through a little trial and error.

I assume there would be a process for CAS members as well and for members of the other five actuarial organizations. I would expect, since the CAS, for example, would not want just anyone to be able change a directory listing, that the DAS member would have to log on to a CAS member only website in order to imitate a change to his or her directory listing. If it is not possible to do that, it would be news to me and, clearly, something to correct.

So, I am not sure if there is a problem and certainly hope the CAS-SoA dispute has not carried as far as is implied by your question, or if Colonel Smoothie is just having difficulty navigating the system - as I have had. That, of course, would be a problem too worthy of solution.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA