Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 AM
CAS

Studying for 7 and 9
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
does it feel like a chore for you to read? it's hard not to run out of stamina
Making myself do something I don't want to do 1 hour a day isn't that painful. My motivation is definitely lower than it was before the delay. I'm not worried about running out of stamina since I'm really not studying that much right now though. I think if I just keep this pace, then up it to 2 hours a day 5-6 weeks out, that should be plenty of studying to pass comfortably.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 AM
CAS

Man, the Shapland paper is an absolute beast.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:41 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 7
College: Purdue University Alumnus
Favorite beer: Sweet Baby Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
Man, the Shapland paper is an absolute beast.
I thought the Shapland topic was the clearest. Do this, then this, then this. Felt like there was direction whereas other topics I couldn't decipher turn left or turn right.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:10 PM
CAS

Studying for 7 and 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippyyy View Post
I thought the Shapland topic was the clearest. Do this, then this, then this. Felt like there was direction whereas other topics I couldn't decipher turn left or turn right.
Yeah, the process for Shapland is laid out really clearly, there's just so much to memorize and so many testable topics in it. A lot of past problems are on the heteroskedasticity adjustment and how to deal with negative incremental values in the triangle, so knowing those really well in addition to the main process is a must (sampling residuals has also been heavily tested). Some questions have also popped up on dealing with data that isn't a complete year, whether that's a column or a whole diagonal.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:32 PM
CAS

I have spent less on the source for that one (trying to save time) so maybe it’s an issue with CF, or maybe I just have to get through it once and then it will click more.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:43 PM
CAS

Studying for 7 and 9

Quote:
I have spent less on the source for that one (trying to save time) so maybe itís an issue with CF, or maybe I just have to get through it once and then it will click more.
I didn't read the source either, but TIA did a great job of laying it all out. The TIA instructor also did explicitly call out Shapland as being a very well written paper that's easy to understand, so I'd definitely recommend trying the source if your understanding isn't all there yet.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:12 PM
CAS

Word on the street from a source on the Candidate Liaison Committee is cancellation is likely given the inconsistency in guidelines across states (ex. Stay At Home Order for June 10th recently implemented for VA).

I still plan on maintaining some measure of studying just in case mid-June actually happens in some location though.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:39 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by resact26 View Post
Word on the street from a source on the Candidate Liaison Committee is cancellation is likely given the inconsistency in guidelines across states (ex. Stay At Home Order for June 10th recently implemented for VA).

I still plan on maintaining some measure of studying just in case mid-June actually happens in some location though.
so what, they're just going to skip a sitting for these and do exam 8 again in October?
Old 04-01-2020, 04:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
so what, they're just going to skip a sitting for these and do exam 8 again in October?
That's a good question. I really don't know. Even that comment I made is speculation at this point based on the facts at our disposal. The sitting could technically still happen mid-June.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:36 PM
CAS

Quote:
I have spent less on the source for that one (trying to save time) so maybe itís an issue with CF, or maybe I just have to get through it once and then it will click more.
I started going through the source. Pretty straight forward, until the section on standardized/scaled residuals and the hat matrix. This just feels too brief, yet definitely testable.