Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-02-2020, 06:26 AM
CAS

Studying for 7 and 9
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
I started going through the source. Pretty straight forward, until the section on standardized/scaled residuals and the hat matrix. This just feels too brief, yet definitely testable.
I seriously doubt they'll ask something complicated over the hat matrix. I think understanding that it's used for standardizing the residuals and the adjustment factor = sqrt(1/(1-h_ii)) formula could come up though.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:27 AM
CAS

Studying for 7 and 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
so what, they're just going to skip a sitting for these and do exam 8 again in October?
If they do this, I'm gonna be so upset. If they offer 7/9 in the fall sitting as well that'd be a lot more fair imo.

If they just cancel this sitting and only offer 8 this fall, I'm seriously going to double up next spring.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:11 AM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by resact26 View Post
Word on the street from a source on the Candidate Liaison Committee is cancellation is likely given the inconsistency in guidelines across states (ex. Stay At Home Order for June 10th recently implemented for VA).

I still plan on maintaining some measure of studying just in case mid-June actually happens in some location though.
Thanks for the insider info. Wow I really wish they don't cancel, but if they do, please please please announce it sooner than later. I'd hate to study for 200 hours in this beautiful spring time then to get to know it will be canceled. The registration fee is nothing compared to the opportunity cost of time I put into it.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:35 AM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadsura View Post
I'm actually optimistic at this point. ... I'm buying some SPY's.
I retract some of the optimism No doubt we'll get through this epidemic, but I didn't expect the knock-on effects to be so strong (given the job data today, and goings-on at my own company). I'm now neutral on economy outlook
Old 04-02-2020, 12:49 PM
CAS AAA

College: Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
I seriously doubt they'll ask something complicated over the hat matrix. I think understanding that it's used for standardizing the residuals and the adjustment factor = sqrt(1/(1-h_ii)) formula could come up though.
I agree. Lots of the tricky and complicated presentation of data like Hat matrices and partial derivative information matrices are to restate how they give you the data.

They could just say that the parameter variance is 0.50 for a Clark problem. But if they present the information as an information matrix for the cape code they can conceal the 0.50 with noise and test if you know how to read the matrix. You might think it is a gotcha trick, but if you ever end up working with R/Python you'll start seeing matrix presentations of statistics more often.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:40 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerCAS View Post
I agree. Lots of the tricky and complicated presentation of data like Hat matrices and partial derivative information matrices are to restate how they give you the data.

They could just say that the parameter variance is 0.50 for a Clark problem. But if they present the information as an information matrix for the cape code they can conceal the 0.50 with noise and test if you know how to read the matrix. You might think it is a gotcha trick, but if you ever end up working with R/Python you'll start seeing matrix presentations of statistics more often.
The SOA announced new exam dates but not the CAS
Old 04-02-2020, 04:54 PM
CAS

Studying for 7 and 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
Hmm, hopefully the CAS will announce something soon too. If it's in mid-July I wouldn't complain too much. Studying an hour a day for 3 months should make me super prepared by then.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:21 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Hmm, hopefully the CAS will announce something soon too. If it's in mid-July I wouldn't complain too much. Studying an hour a day for 3 months should make me super prepared by then.
I'd be very happy with July after worrying about it not going ahead at all
Old 04-03-2020, 09:11 AM
CAS

College: UW-Madison Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
I saw they plan to release exam results September 18th with a Fall registration deadline of September 28th for Fall exams at their normal scheduled time frame. I realize it wouldn't impact us with the upper level exams but that seems quite unfair for students taking lower levels to not know which exam they will be sitting for until about 5-6 weeks out...
Old 04-03-2020, 09:22 AM
CAS

Quote:
If they do this, I'm gonna be so upset. If they offer 7/9 in the fall sitting as well that'd be a lot more fair imo.

If they just cancel this sitting and only offer 8 this fall, I'm seriously going to double up next spring.
I have heard that they would offer all in the fall.