Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-05-2017, 12:38 PM

Default The EL market IS NOT SATURATED

Wanted to have a little discussion on this if people are willing. This has been discussed recently in a few threads, including
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=321857
and
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=321442

I'm mostly looking for people to argue that the market is NOT saturated in this thread, and especially to provide evidence/support. Not sure what exactly that would mean, but at some point I assume people will cite that economist study, which I think is flawed, and will explain later.

What I'm most interested in is probably more anecdotal, like info from candidates who recently got hired and thought it was a reasonable process. Or hiring managers that are struggling to find somebody that can do what they need, because there arenít enough good candidates.
If anybody wants to post their own story, but not attach it to their AO ID, you are welcome to PM me and I will post that info anonymously.
Separate thread to discuss and provide evidence that the market IS SATURATED:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=322029

Really hoping to have some legit answers. Don't be surprised if clown comments disappear if it gets too ridic.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Wanted to have a little discussion on this if people are willing. This has been discussed recently in a few threads, including
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=321857
and
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=321442

I'm mostly looking for people to argue that the market is NOT saturated in this thread, and especially to provide evidence/support. Not sure what exactly that would mean, but at some point I assume people will cite that economist study, which I think is flawed, and will explain later.

What I'm most interested in is probably more anecdotal, like info from candidates who recently got hired and thought it was a reasonable process. Or hiring managers that are struggling to find somebody that can do what they need, because there arenít enough good candidates.
If anybody wants to post their own story, but not attach it to their AO ID, you are welcome to PM me and I will post that info anonymously.
Separate thread to discuss and provide evidence that the market IS SATURATED:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=322029

Really hoping to have some legit answers. Don't be surprised if clown comments disappear if it gets too ridic.
This thread's just another in the long list of lies perpetrated by The Man to keep a brutha down! Homey don't play that!
Old 05-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey D Clown View Post
This thread's just another in the long list of lies perpetrated by The Man to keep a brutha down! Homey don't play that!

live laugh love
Old 05-05-2017, 12:59 PM

College: About to be a super senior

I think that if you are an employer out in the boonies, it probably doesn't seem oversaturated. But, if you are a well known company or located in big metropolitan areas, you probably think it's saturated. Just my guess
Old 05-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
I think that if you are an employer out in the boonies, it probably doesn't seem oversaturated. But, if you are a well known company or located in big metropolitan areas, you probably think it's saturated. Just my guess
Is it easier to get a job in the boonies?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:31 PM
SOA

Yes.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring Act View Post
Is it easier to get a job in the boonies?
yes, they will generally have fewer applicants per opening. but, sometimes, they can be picky because they prefer candidates with roots in the area.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:31 PM
SOA

Agree that offices outside of the city may prefer local candidates. If a guy from NYC takes a job in BumbleF PA, there is a good chance that guy heads back to the city after getting a few years exp.

Im going to throw my story into the 'market not saturated' thread. 5 years ago I had a 3.0 GPA from a no name state school, 1 exam, and no internship. Took me a lot of trying but I still landed an EL job. I had to apply down the line from good jobs down to crap jobs until I got my bite, but the job was there. I did not get to the end of the line either; there were still some worse jobs I could have applied for.

Takes a lot of hard work to get a job <> saturated market.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartke View Post
Agree that offices outside of the city may prefer local candidates. If a guy from NYC takes a job in BumbleF PA, there is a good chance that guy heads back to the city after getting a few years exp.

Im going to throw my story into the 'market not saturated' thread. 5 years ago I had a 3.0 GPA from a no name state school, 1 exam, and no internship. Took me a lot of trying but I still landed an EL job. I had to apply down the line from good jobs down to crap jobs until I got my bite, but the job was there. I did not get to the end of the line either; there were still some worse jobs I could have applied for.

Takes a lot of hard work to get a job <> saturated market.
I guess I can agree with that a bit. I got an EL job around the same time as you with 2 exams, 1 internship, and a shitty gpa. I applied literally everywhere as long as it's not pension. I think I applied for some pension jobs at Big4, though. Due to my GPA, I got filtered out at most places. But, I was still able to get a job in a straight up Po. I moved to a non-Po after getting a couple of years of experience.

I actually do think the market is quite saturated. But, if candidates with 2-3 exams, a decent GPA, and a citizenship can't get a job, they are probably restricting their geography or have very very poor conversation skills.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 PM
CAS

i'm going with not saturated

last job - in the suburbs outside a big city, decent sized company but not one of the huge well known names to college students - got a good amount of applicants but very few qualified applicants. most applicants had a few exams but very few had any real experience using excel, fewer were personable and able to answer interview questions well. we weren't necessarily always looking at the "right time" though- we didn't reliably hire EL every year, only when someone quit or there was otherwise some opening, so sometimes off season.

current job - in a big city, big name, i haven't been involved in EL hiring yet but we have EL employees straight out of college with no exams, and when hiring for roles requiring a few years of experience (kind of beyond the EL topic but relevant) we've had an extremely difficult time finding people who are qualified. not saying finding a job without exams is easy - it's not, and i think it's partially right time/right place - i think our department has often hired at varying times of the year for EL, like my last job.

also, at my last job we had some bad hires- part of this is the hiring manager's fault and part of it was unforeseen/they turned out worse than expected, but i was there when we were hiring and it's not like we were getting tons of candidates who seemed much better.