Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: NE IPAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
Has anyone completed this course and how much R is needed. Module 1 has basic R but wondering if R is used through the course? Thanks.
Yes, the whole thing uses R start to finish. Mod1 just gets everyone proficient enough with the level of R you'll need to be able to handle the rest of the course. If you are new to R, Mod1 could be pretty tough and time consuming, but otherwise it's a fairly gentle review for R users - even picked up a few tricks I didn't know about.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:28 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Yeti

So to revitalize this thread, has anyone actually taken the course or spoken to anyone that has taken it? I'd like to learn more about PA, but don't want to buy some overpriced program, or even have the company overpay for it. Yes, there are a lot of free or cheaper resources out there, but due to my lack of knowledge on the subject, i don't know if they are going down the correct path of predictive analytics that are most relevant to actuaries.

Looking at the learning objectives for the course, they line up very closely to the Exam PA. The first 4 are almost identical and then they seem to somewhat blow the last 2 of the certificate into 4 learning objectives in the exam. Seems like taking that at a third of the price would be a better use of money.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:01 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
So to revitalize this thread, has anyone actually taken the course or spoken to anyone that has taken it? I'd like to learn more about PA, but don't want to buy some overpriced program, or even have the company overpay for it. Yes, there are a lot of free or cheaper resources out there, but due to my lack of knowledge on the subject, i don't know if they are going down the correct path of predictive analytics that are most relevant to actuaries.

Looking at the learning objectives for the course, they line up very closely to the Exam PA. The first 4 are almost identical and then they seem to somewhat blow the last 2 of the certificate into 4 learning objectives in the exam. Seems like taking that at a third of the price would be a better use of money.
Bump
Old 01-21-2020, 03:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post

If there is a market for this, I'll gladly point you in the right direction for 1/30th the cost.

-Riley
Old 01-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
If there is a market for this, I'll gladly point you in the right direction for 1/30th the cost.

-Riley
What a rip off! (there are lots of good free classes)
Old 01-21-2020, 05:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
What are your suggestions? Thanks
Old 01-21-2020, 11:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
Of course there are, but which ones to watch with so many options?

My service is to help make that decision easier, but you can offer up the advice for free if you want.

-Riley
Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
Of course there are, but which ones to watch with so many options?

My service is to help make that decision easier, but you can offer up the advice for free if you want.

-Riley
What are your suggestions?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 PM
SOA

Glad we are being helpful!
Old 01-24-2020, 06:54 PM
CAS SOA AAA

R is getting a bit stale now, if you're going for a cert at least get one in Python.

Tags
data science, predictive analytics