Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 01-21-2020, 04:25 PM
SOA

College: Western Kentucky University

TN can probably sell Henry on staying with a decent but affordable contract. Eddie George has made a lot of endorsement money over the years and Henry can do the same if he stays with the team long term.

Tannehill should be a relatively (to QB scale) affordable contract. He had a lot of bad years in Miami before this one good one in TN. I think he'll be happy with low end starter money. More than rookie scale but no more than 20/year. If he gets greedy and some other team throws too much at him they could go for Bridgewater and/or the draft.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus Naturae View Post
His college career actually had a rather light workload (~600 touches). He had a lot in HS (1400).

McCaffrey had 731 in college, 926 in the NFL so far, ~700 in high school.

But I'm not a believer in touches -> worn down RB, like there's some limited amount of juice in the legs. You just wear down with age.
Iím a believer in injuries -> worn down player, including the ones that arenít reported. Number of touches is pretty well correlated with how much damage youíre taking, and a workhorse RB is usually playing with a lot of damage that we donít see. Plus, that kind of stuff tends to compound, as in the guy getting 10 touches isnít exasperating those injuries in the same way a 25 touch player will. But, Iím not a rocket surgeon, so donít take my word for it.

Henry really does appear to be a physical freak along the lines of historically great RBs though.. Whether he takes the Barry Sanders/Jim Brown early retirement or has ADP/Emmitt Smith longevity is, imo, really up to how much football he wants to play. Unless he gets a freak injury, of course.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:32 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
Iím a believer in injuries -> worn down player, including the ones that arenít reported. Number of touches is pretty well correlated with how much damage youíre taking, and a workhorse RB is usually playing with a lot of damage that we donít see. Plus, that kind of stuff tends to compound, as in the guy getting 10 touches isnít exasperating those injuries in the same way a 25 touch player will. But, Iím not a rocket surgeon, so donít take my word for it.

Henry really does appear to be a physical freak along the lines of historically great RBs though.. Whether he takes the Barry Sanders/Jim Brown early retirement or has ADP/Emmitt Smith longevity is, imo, really up to how much football he wants to play. Unless he gets a freak injury, of course.
He also doesn't seem to take much punishment, so much as he doles out punishment. When he's brought down, it's usually 2-3 guys bringing him down from behind or the side.

His high school highlights are hilarious though. 6' 2", 240 pounds; he's taller and bigger and faster than everyone else on the field.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:33 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Daneel Olivaw View Post
TN can probably sell Henry on staying with a decent but affordable contract. Eddie George has made a lot of endorsement money over the years and Henry can do the same if he stays with the team long term.

Tannehill should be a relatively (to QB scale) affordable contract. He had a lot of bad years in Miami before this one good one in TN. I think he'll be happy with low end starter money. More than rookie scale but no more than 20/year. If he gets greedy and some other team throws too much at him they could go for Bridgewater and/or the draft.
What numbers are you thinking? I donít see Henryís team agreeing to anything under $12MM/year after this season.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:40 PM
CAS

I highly doubt that Henry's HS workload has any meaningful effect on his NFL longevity.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...j18qtmkr7zfaak

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-its-li...l?guccounter=1

Quote:
Travis Hodge, head coach, Fernandina Beach High School: "If you got him right at the line of scrimmage, or behind the line of scrimmage, (players) would be more aggressive. But the kids knew, when he got to the second level, and it was you and him — all of a sudden, they might trip, or take a (bad) angle, or mistime their angle. They’d make a decision: I got a date with my girlfriend tomorrow. I don’t want to get hurt.”

Last edited by quentin cassidy; 01-21-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Old 01-21-2020, 07:23 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Really up to how he has invested whatever he's earned so far, plus whatever he is destined to earn in the next few years, and whether he has other skills besides being a football battering ram.
Then, minus years due to career-affecting injuries.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 01-21-2020, 08:16 PM
SOA AAA

2020 Draft in Vegas. (Not making a new thread yet.)

So, first week: Raiders on Thursday Night, Sunday Night, or Monday Night?
It's tough, because a shit-ton of fans will be coming in from So Cal (and maybe some from No Cal), and they might not want to stay overnight, and thus not go at all. Might be able to resell their seats to local folk.

It might be that all of their night games will be on the road this year.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 AM
CAS Non-Actuary

College: Ball State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root or Birch

The Cleveland Browns: A Factory of Sadness

www.existentialcomics.com/comic/325
Old 01-22-2020, 10:07 AM
SOA

College: Western Kentucky University

Quote:
What numbers are you thinking? I donít see Henryís team agreeing to anything under $12MM/year after this season.
I was thinking 8 to 9. But with a longer contract and more guaranteed years. Also a promise to invest some of the savings in retaining a great O-line in front of him.

Gives him security and allows the Titans to keep improving. Also gives him juice for long term local/regional marketing.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:54 AM

Henry and his agent have no reason not to ask for the 13-15m that Zeke, Gurley, Bell, Johnson got. Team could always franchise him a couple years and let him walk for somewhat reasonable money.

I don't know what Tannehill will demand. Seems similar to Keenum who had a great year a while back, but people didn't really think he'd do that again. He got $18m/yr for 2 yrs in Denver before being released. Foles got $22m/yr. Probably a 2/3 deal around $20m/yr with most of the guaranteed money in the first year...then an extension or draft his replacement in year 2 depending how he does.