Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-10-2020, 12:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Obese Dog View Post
Cause the people making those decisions are old too. If you look around, you'll notice how all these top positions at all these companies are VERY disproportionately a bunch of geezers. The conspiracy runs deep.

:sheeple:
It's a bit self-fulfilling, no? Takes a while to have enough experience to be senior enough to make those decisions. Retirees tend to be pretty old too.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:57 PM
CAS

OP seems to have moved well off his opening position, provided a nice list of reasons for pay differences summarizing points made in numerous posts.

he's incorporating new info and accepting the validity of it. good on him for that.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:52 PM

Maybe this was already mentioned, but there's a reason Fortran is still used - it's blazing fast for what it's good for. Bare metal speeds that can beat C. Common Python packages such as scipy and numpy rely on Fortran (among others) for their optimization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Spoiler:
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:15 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Maybe this was already mentioned, but there's a reason Fortran is still used - it's blazing fast for what it's good for. Bare metal speeds that can beat C. Common Python packages such as scipy and numpy rely on Fortran (among others) for their optimization.
https://youtu.be/ID1iFaWgcIE?t=93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:51 PM

That was excellent.
Quote:
Spoiler:
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:06 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Eh, besides a very few, the usage of Fortran in 2020 is likely connected to legacy usage rather than speed.

You are correct that it is fast; BLAS is an important reference for many languages, but that is about as far as it goes.

-Riley
Old 01-13-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
Eh, besides a very few, the usage of Fortran in 2020 is likely connected to legacy usage rather than speed.

You are correct that it is fast; BLAS is an important reference for many languages, but that is about as far as it goes.
I don't disagree with this, but I worry people will misread it. "Legacy usage" here means "let's not recode this for no reason", and linear algebra is a big deal (at least, to the kind of interests on this board). Fortran is leveraged for a very specific slice of programming, but it does that very well.

I'd encourage anyone still reading this thread who thinks of Fortran as some holdover from another era to do some reading/googling. The language has been well maintained, is still very highly thought of among those using it for what it's good for, and if anything Fortran's strong parallellization might make it even more relevant in an age of scalable processing environments.
Quote:
Spoiler:
Old 01-14-2020, 10:32 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Fortran is leveraged for a very specific slice of programming, but it does that very well.
Yes, still agreed on this.

Quote:
I'd encourage anyone still reading this thread who thinks of Fortran as some holdover from another era to do some reading/googling.
One other thing you might do when googling is check Google's careers for jobs that require Fortran. Take a handful of other top technical companies and do the same. How often do you find Fortran? Now, just search for jobs that use Fortran; you'll come across a lot of usage in academia and research laboratories, such as NASA, where speed is important, but practicality may not be. If your only goal is to do matrix operations, then Fortran will be the best, but few real companies survive on scientific and numerical computations alone.

-Riley

Edit: I'd be open to believe that Julia is better positioned long-term.

Last edited by whoanonstop; 01-14-2020 at 10:35 AM..
Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 AM

One of the best individual contributors in my department is 50 this year. He’s been at the company for 30 years and has been in his current role for 10. He never did the exams, but has basically become “qualified by experience”. When he got to his current level, he decided he was happy with it and continued to do the same job. He now has so much experience that he’s invaluable to the department, but because he’s only had inflation level pay rises he’s no more expensive than it would be to hire a new person. There’s no reason at all for the company to want to get rid of him.