Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 10-31-2017, 12:57 AM
SOA

I’m surprised you don’t have offers yet... I saw your resume and it was well written imo. Or maybe you do have offers...or maybe you need to practice interviewing.... who knows?

Last edited by royevans; 10-31-2017 at 03:27 AM..
Old 10-31-2017, 01:51 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
With regards to HireVue, I'm extremely skeptical and doubt that it's a good idea. For those not in the loop - it's a program that scans your face and uses AI to determine whether you'll be a good hire.

There are some good things about it - pre-interview practice gives you feedback on how to improve yourself. But, attempting to correlate facial expressions with competence makes me uneasy.
I think HireVue is mostly used with discriminatory intent anyway....on how you speak, if you are confident in what you say, and maybe race.

Also, I'm a bit skeptical on the whole "practice" portion. I've noticed a lot of these video interviews claim you can have unlimited attempts for each question and to submit the best response. How do I know that these "attempts" arent being sent as well? If you want the best response, why not just email me a list of questions, and I'll draft you a well written response.

I tend to skip any interview that asks for an automate interview....they want me to dress up and speak for 10 or 15 minutes in front of a computer. I highly doubt the person reviewing my interview is watching the whole 10 minutes... also I can't ask any questions about the program or company.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:59 AM
Non-Actuary

I feel like there’s a one word out there that captures your entire personality/caricature.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:26 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
I feel like there’s a one word out there that captures your entire personality/caricature.
i dont know about that... its hard to be so precise.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
I think HireVue is mostly used with discriminatory intent anyway....on how you speak
"how you speak" isn't something I'd characterize as "discriminatory" - a huge part of your value as an actuary is communication, so it's a pretty important job skill. Obviously they use it to discriminate in the basic English sense of using it to differentiate and decide, but not in a way that's really unfair (which is the normal use of "discriminate" in the interview sense).

Not familiar with HV, so whether they're using it illegally or unfairly or whatever - no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
I tend to skip any interview that asks for an automate interview....they want me to dress up and speak for 10 or 15 minutes in front of a computer. I highly doubt the person reviewing my interview is watching the whole 10 minutes... also I can't ask any questions about the program or company.
Yeah, companies will endlessly pitch you on "interviewing is a two way conversation" or whatever, and then they use an automated interview. "Beggars can't be choosers" perhaps applies to most EL candidates, but honestly would love to see people boycotting these. Total garbage way to interview. If you can't spend 30 minutes talking to me, that tells me your company doesn't give a crap about EL actuaries, and I'd rather work for somebody else.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:37 PM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
"how you speak" isn't something I'd characterize as "discriminatory" - a huge part of your value as an actuary is communication, so it's a pretty important job skill. Obviously they use it to discriminate in the basic English sense of using it to differentiate and decide, but not in a way that's really unfair (which is the normal use of "discriminate" in the interview sense).

Not familiar with HV, so whether they're using it illegally or unfairly or whatever - no idea.

Yeah, companies will endlessly pitch you on "interviewing is a two way conversation" or whatever, and then they use an automated interview. "Beggars can't be choosers" perhaps applies to most EL candidates, but honestly would love to see people boycotting these. Total garbage way to interview. If you can't spend 30 minutes talking to me, that tells me your company doesn't give a crap about EL actuaries, and I'd rather work for somebody else.
Nah I am pretty sure I speak very clearly and have above average communication skills with self-confidence but I have gotten rejected from 1st round and final rounds (but much fewer) just because of the "way" I talk.

My profile includes:
Big relevant internship in NYC for a large life insurance company
From top school with competitive GPA
Average computer skills
4 exams done at the time, satisfied all VEE.

I understand when I get rejected in the final rounds because shiit, my competitors might have stronger coding or other computer skills but whenever I get rejected by an HR, I feel like that person was intimidated.

I feel like my success rate is much greater when I get to the final round but for some reason, it's hard to gauge what some HR ppl want based on my experience.

Last edited by ronaldy27; 10-31-2017 at 12:41 PM..
Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Nah I am pretty sure I speak very clearly and have above average communication skills with self-confidence but I have gotten rejected from 1st round and final rounds (but much fewer) just because of the "way" I talk.
How do you know that's the reason you were rejected?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:00 PM
SOA AAA

Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:05 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin-Lover View Post
How do you know that's the reason you were rejected?

Quote:
whenever I get rejected by an HR, I feel like that person was intimidated.
Maybe you need to learn how to talk in a way that doesn't intimidate people who aren't as AWESOME as you are.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
but whenever I get rejected by an HR, I feel like that person was intimidated.
Oh! This reminds me of an old popular thread! Nuts. I can't remember who the OP was.