Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 03-29-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
But that's not what you are describing. What you are describing is taking on a job with more stress and more hours despite no grade advancement, with the implied promise of higher salary, which has not materialized.

In this case, going back to the old job is not a good move. Moving on to another employer would be the preferred response
Mostly agree, although would add that it's worth discussing your view with manager before doing so. If manager isn't paying attention to salaries (they should, but doesn't always happen), wasn't aware of implicit promise, or thinks that the implicit promise was delivered (and didn't check this view with employee), then there can be room for fixing it. Honestly, I'm pessimistic on such things but it's not always impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Never take the promise of a pay increase down the road.
I would say "Never" is a slight overstatement. Nevertheless, many more people make the mistake of ignoring this advice, than make the opposite mistake (reject a promise of a pay increase later when they should accept it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
Even if they screw you on comp, you now have good experience that you can go somewhere for a bump.
Companies willing to screw you on comp are often the same companies that are willing to screw you on experience. Make promises that you'll advance your career, then dump a bunch of garbage work on you or whatever.

Last edited by Westley; 03-30-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Old 03-29-2019, 03:21 PM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo Alumni
Favorite beer: Delirium Tremens

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
I know a few career ASAs who were forced to take a demotion when they quit taking exams. Which is stupid. Their employer is saying "Gee, you used to work 25-35 hours a week and spend a bunch of money on exam fees & materials, but now you're going to work 40 hours a week and stop spending so much money... that sounds terrible to us!"

I mean, I get supporting exams & all, but it's logically inconsistent that if 25-35 hours a week of work is worth $X, then 40 hours a week of work from the same exact person is worth $0.9X.

Unless they were really hurting for FSAs, which this company was definitely not... they were actually stressing out because people were passing the exams so fast they were getting top-heavy. Like I was actually on a committee tasked with trying to figure out how we were going to manage the workload with so many FSAs and so few students, and whether the company could afford to pay FSA-money to so many employees. But they held fast to their policy of demoting career ASAs. It made sense to the Corporate Actuary, but it did not make sense to me, HR, or most of the committee members.

I know several people who wanted to stop at ASA but didn't because they didn't want the demotion. I can think of 3 and 2 of them did eventually get their FSA, and 1 spent a ton of time & money pursuing FSA exams and eventually gave up. Company could have gotten a lot more work out of those people at the same or lower cost, but no...
I know this feel. Last company I worked for had 1 career ASA. ONE. In thousands of actuaries. And people were judgey towards him.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:25 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

And on the other hand... my current company has a career ASA as chief actuary.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
But that's not what you are describing. What you are describing is taking on a job with more stress and more hours despite no grade advancement, with the implied promise of higher salary, which has not materialized.

In this case, going back to the old job is not a good move. Moving on to another employer would be the preferred response if you are unhappy with the situation as it is and don't see it changing. (Strictly from a career perspective. Your personal circumstances are an unknown.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Companies willing to screw you on comp are often the same companies that are willing to screw you on experience. Make promises that you'll advance your career, then dump a bunch of garbage work on you or whatever.
This is very close. I can't give away more details without potentially compromising my identity. Others at my company with my current job title have (not insignificantly) higher salaries as well as supervisory roles, which I don't have. Is there any chance I can go back to my old job title without sacrificing any pay? Or are my hands tied and the only choice I have is to find a new job?
Old 03-29-2019, 03:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
And on the other hand... my current company has a career ASA as chief actuary.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:18 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

ya'll act like FSA is hard

if I can do it anyone can
Old 03-29-2019, 04:19 PM
SOA

Depends. Do you have a personal life?
Old 03-29-2019, 04:24 PM
SOA

I would definitely like less responsibility without a pay decrease. How do I negotiate that?
Old 03-29-2019, 04:29 PM
SOA

I'm just going to stop going.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:29 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Zero_Six View Post
This is very close. I can't give away more details without potentially compromising my identity. Others at my company with my current job title have (not insignificantly) higher salaries as well as supervisory roles, which I don't have. Is there any chance I can go back to my old job title without sacrificing any pay? Or are my hands tied and the only choice I have is to find a new job?
Maybe you could negotiate this, but I wouldn't try. Makes you look like a quitter who doesn't want more responsibility. Much better to try to negotiate the salary you expected and the types of assignments you expected than to try to negotiate a return to your prior job at your current salary. I wouldn't even bother with that unless you have reasons for really wanting to stick with this company.