Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Pension - Social Security
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: Should I maintain my EA?
Yes, keep it active at all times 1 16.67%
Let it slip to inactive and renew it every six years 2 33.33%
No, you aren't using it, get rid of it 1 16.67%
42 hours of credit 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2018, 02:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Camilli View Post
Woodrow, here is an option from ACTEX -- almost 4 hours of credit, along with the ethics credit, for $99. https://actexmadriver.com/product.aspx?id=453086563. We also have some webinars that are $69 for 1.5 hours of time.

However, to get formal credit, you need to be in the same room w/ two other people involved w/ pension work and have the opportunity to interact with the instructor. ...
Thanks for the reminder, I did one of your classes in the last cycle and liked it. And $70 for 1.5 credits is pretty good.

I know the formal credit requirements are strict. I've been getting those credits through my local ASPPA club, but I didn't want to do that for 36 full hours, and they usually don't offer any core credits.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:10 PM
SOA

College: Brown University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

Yes, thankfully not all of your credits need to be formal credits, just 12 per cycle. Any ethics credits are core credits. If you do sign up for one of our webinars, make sure to check to see if it qualifies for EA credit, as not all of them do.

Click to view our Actuarial eLearning Offerings:
Webinars | Exam Prep | VEE Courses
Old 11-03-2018, 09:53 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Dallas

Woodrow, if you have former colleagues who are still practicing actuaries, you can ask to be invited to sit in on webinars their employer purchases. It doesn’t cost them any extra, and no-one is harmed.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:56 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Moore View Post
Woodrow, if you have former colleagues who are still practicing actuaries, you can ask to be invited to sit in on webinars their employer purchases. It doesnít cost them any extra, and no-one is harmed.
I had former colleagues ask to do this when I was working in pensions. No employer was ever amenable.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:43 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Dallas

I’ve been invited & I accepted. I wasn’t working for a competing firm however.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
I think you can also get recordings of SOA section webcasts for free (or maybe for cheap?) if you belong to the section. You can get EA credit by writing up a short summary of the webcast and submitting it to the SOA.
Thanks, I emailed the SOA and confirmed this.

I don't know how many credits I can get, but for $25 it's worth it.

Thanks for letting me know!!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:35 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Dragons Milk

I just became very interested in this thread, as it looks like my request to go the the EA meeting is being denied.

I’ve been looking around and just found another source for cheapish non-core credits. The ASPPA virtual conference. One day conference 7.5 non-course credits for $359.

http://asppavirtualconference.org/
Old 03-13-2019, 03:52 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaq View Post
I just became very interested in this thread, as it looks like my request to go the the EA meeting is being denied.

Iíve been looking around and just found another source for cheapish non-core credits. The ASPPA virtual conference. One day conference 7.5 non-course credits for $359.

http://asppavirtualconference.org/
ASPPA is great. The only way I can get my " in person" credits are from their local (Boston) meetings.

Actex is looking good for affordable credits, and who doesn't want to hear Mary Pat Campbell talk about spreadsheets? https://www.actexmadriver.com/orders...x?id=453144121
Old 03-13-2019, 05:04 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Dragons Milk

Iíve heard her touting her talk, but havenít had a reason to sign up before. Not something that my supervisor would think was relevant. However, now that I need credits, Iíll just be signing up for anything and everything.

I did just sign on to the SOA website and see that Iíve got 555 minutes of Core from going to the FAC in 2017. Pretty frustrating that none of it is formal credit. There had to have been at least three pension actuaries in each session, but maybe they just didnít take the time to check. I emailed the SOA to see if anything could be done about that, but Iím not optimistic.

Iíll probably be getting 3.6 hours of formal credit for going to the Chicago Actuarial Association workshops in a couple weeks, but then Iíll be on the look out for more formal credits.