Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 AM
SOA

How's everyone's progress?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:32 AM
SOA

Studying for IFM
Favorite beer: I like girly drinks

I'm starting option Greeks when I take my study hours at work today. I ditched the CA manual a while back, as it is an almost word-for-word transcription of the video lessons. I've been able to cut my study time in half and retain more information. I hope to use the extra time to drill more practice problems and exams. If anyone is still contemplating purchasing the CA bundle, I would say it's definitely worth the price.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweptawaybythesea View Post
I'm starting option Greeks when I take my study hours at work today. I ditched the CA manual a while back, as it is an almost word-for-word transcription of the video lessons. I've been able to cut my study time in half and retain more information. I hope to use the extra time to drill more practice problems and exams. If anyone is still contemplating purchasing the CA bundle, I would say it's definitely worth the price.
The video lessons are based on the online manual. Some students prefer to read from the manual, and some prefer to have Coach Mike Carmody walk them through the concepts through video lessons. Regardless of preference, our CA bundle aims to satisfy both worlds!

Last edited by tkt; 07-31-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Old 07-31-2018, 01:50 PM
SOA

Studying for IFM

My world has been all the way rocked. I would've started watching the video lessons to begin with if I had known this.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
My world has been all the way rocked. I would've started watching the video lessons to begin with if I had known this.
What do you like about CA video lessons?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:26 AM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
College: University of South Carolina
Favorite beer: New Belgium La Folie

I'm going through the ASM manual now. I expect to be done by the end of August and then go through ADAPT/sample questions until November. I'm curious to see how the July takers did and if our test will be drastically different from what they got.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:16 AM
SOA

College: Florida State University

Anyone here ever tried the ACTEX or ASM manuals or flashcards to prepare for an exam? I'm thinking about getting flash cards but ASM puts me to sleep, not sure if their flash cards will as well.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:54 PM
SOA

Studying for IFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesss View Post
What do you like about CA video lessons?
I'm a slow reader and thorough note-taker. A long chapter like option strategies or binomial option pricing may take me two or three days to complete. That's about 6-8 hours of my time. With the CA video lessons, I get the exact same content, in an easier format to absorb, over a shorter period of time. Now, I'm averaging 3 hours of study time per chapter and I can use all of the extra time to do more end-of-lesson adapt quizzes. IMO, drilling practice problems is the most important part of studying. The more questions you get exposed to -- the easier time you'll have recognizing question types on the actual exam.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:39 PM
CAS

Default PAK IFM Study Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
All:

If you are looking for a study manual that (i) provides great explanation for finance and derivatives concepts, (ii) solves practice questions, I strongly recommend you use the PAK.

Many FSA-takers have been satisfied using the PAK products and the same rigor and excellence were placed in producing the new IFM Study Manual.

Give it a try and you will not regret it!
I went through the IFM PAK Manual and found it to be very thorough. The manual is separated in 2 parts: Corporate Finance and Derivatives Pricing respectively.

The material has lots of practice exams questions and MOCK questions with detailed solutions.

Bell did a good job presenting the applicability of derivatives products in the insurance business. Often times we know about all the types of derivatives but arenít aware of how they could really be used to protect financial institutions from adverse market movements.

If you are looking for a study guide that only will help you pass the exam but also understand the fundamentals and applications of Corporate Finance and Derivatives in the real world, consider the PAK package!!!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
I'm a slow reader and thorough note-taker. A long chapter like option strategies or binomial option pricing may take me two or three days to complete. That's about 6-8 hours of my time. With the CA video lessons, I get the exact same content, in an easier format to absorb, over a shorter period of time. Now, I'm averaging 3 hours of study time per chapter and I can use all of the extra time to do more end-of-lesson adapt quizzes. IMO, drilling practice problems is the most important part of studying. The more questions you get exposed to -- the easier time you'll have recognizing question types on the actual exam.
Good to hear. Can you describe the study process that you are going through? What worked and didn't work for you? I think we can benefit from your experience.