Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 01-07-2019, 02:48 AM
CAS SOA

College: Alumni
Default Study Manual or Textbooks?

I just started preparing for the IFM exam in March 2019 and was wondering if I should rely solely on the textbooks recommended by the syllabus of SOA, namely Derivative Markets Corporate finance given that a friend gifted them to me. Once done with the reading, I will start using Adapt for practice. Adapt helped me greatly in preparing for Exam P and FM, so I am hoping it will be as helpful in this exam.

I really need feedback on this plan specially from those who recently took the exam;
Do I need to buy any of study manuals from ASM, Coaching Actuaries, etc? Or should I stick with the free gift ?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:25 PM
SOA

I prepared myself with the CA manual and read a couple of chapters from Berk & DeMarzo and McDonald. I think that the manual is an efficient way to go through the syllabus and quickly going into practicing.

If you have time, give the textbooks a try. They are easy to read but at the same time very thorough.
If you have the money, go with a manual and use the textbooks to review the subjects that you are not so confident about. You are going to use your time much more efficiently.