Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Around the World > Espaņol
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
radix's Avatar
radix radix is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lima
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyleche View Post
What part of Lima are you from? I've lived in Chaclacayo, Campoy and Manchay (as well as Tarma and Jauja)
I lived in Salamanca de Monterrico, Chorrillos and San Isidro (in that order).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Double High C's Avatar
Double High C Double High C is offline
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: atop the 5th line above the staff
Posts: 11,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Oh, and there is no "th" sound at the end of "usted".
It seems (from listening to Spanish speakers) that the "d" sound in usted is made by putting the tounge somewhere near the tip of the top teeth, so this sounds somewhat like "th" (though it is quite different from the Castilian "c", "s", and "z" sounds.)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 PM
soyleche's Avatar
soyleche soyleche is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 17,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double High C View Post
It seems (from listening to Spanish speakers) that the "d" sound in usted is made by putting the tounge somewhere near the tip of the top teeth, so this sounds somewhat like "th" (though it is quite different from the Castilian "c", "s", and "z" sounds.)
Yeah, I noticed that the "d" in Spanish often has a very slight "th" sound to it.
__________________
I'll never again say that I could never enjoy Bieber sung by a bunch of Mormons - Ben Folds
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Double High C's Avatar
Double High C Double High C is offline
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: atop the 5th line above the staff
Posts: 11,465
Default

Ith Thindy Brady Cathtilian?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Alto Reed on a Tenor Sax's Avatar
Alto Reed on a Tenor Sax Alto Reed on a Tenor Sax is offline
official Troll bane
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Favorite beer: PBR
Posts: 12,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double High C View Post
It seems (from listening to Spanish speakers) that the "d" sound in usted is made by putting the tounge somewhere near the tip of the top teeth, so this sounds somewhat like "th" (though it is quite different from the Castilian "c", "s", and "z" sounds.)
This is true, the "d" in Spanish is an interdental, completely different from English. So you will get a certain amount of "th" sound, but it's more of the "th" in "this" than the "th" in "thick."

Also, I don't know why you guys are saying that s and c are pronounced the same in Castillian. The c and the z are identical, they are both pronounced as a "theta" in Spain. I majored in Spanish, and most of my professors were Castillian, so this accent is burned into my brain. If there are dialects that differentiate between z and s, but not c and s, I am unaware of them.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 AM
soyleche's Avatar
soyleche soyleche is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 17,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto Reed on a Tenor Sax View Post
This is true, the "d" in Spanish is an interdental, completely different from English. So you will get a certain amount of "th" sound, but it's more of the "th" in "this" than the "th" in "thick."

Also, I don't know why you guys are saying that s and c are pronounced the same in Castillian. The c and the z are identical, they are both pronounced as a "theta" in Spain. I majored in Spanish, and most of my professors were Castillian, so this accent is burned into my brain. If there are dialects that differentiate between z and s, but not c and s, I am unaware of them.
One of my roommates went to Spain on his mission, and I could have sworn that he differentiated between z and c but not s and c - but I could be remembering wrong. Either way, he sounded weird when he talked.
__________________
I'll never again say that I could never enjoy Bieber sung by a bunch of Mormons - Ben Folds
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Double High C's Avatar
Double High C Double High C is offline
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: atop the 5th line above the staff
Posts: 11,465
Default

Did he call you thoyleche?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 PM
soyleche's Avatar
soyleche soyleche is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 17,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double High C View Post
Did he call you thoyleche?
Nope - the S doesn't get the "th" sound - in either of the possible options that have been presented here.
__________________
I'll never again say that I could never enjoy Bieber sung by a bunch of Mormons - Ben Folds
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
soyleche's Avatar
soyleche soyleche is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 17,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyleche View Post
One of my roommates went to Spain on his mission, and I could have sworn that he differentiated between z and c but not s and c - but I could be remembering wrong. Either way, he sounded weird when he talked.
Oh, and BTW - I'm pretty sure I was remembering wrong, because he went to "Barthelona", so the "c" must have gotten the "th".
__________________
I'll never again say that I could never enjoy Bieber sung by a bunch of Mormons - Ben Folds
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Double High C's Avatar
Double High C Double High C is offline
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: atop the 5th line above the staff
Posts: 11,465
Default

[tan]Germans do sort of the opposite. They say sous (and not in reference to drinking), as in Sous America.[arctan]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.37927 seconds with 9 queries