Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 10-08-2018, 04:22 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University (Class of 2019ish)

I’m 95% confident that I passed. I feel like I may have gotten lucky, but I knew immediately how to solve most questions. I’d say SOA 326 and ADAPT do a very good job preparation wise for this exam.

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Old 10-08-2018, 04:30 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingRocks View Post
I’m 95% confident that I passed. I feel like I may have gotten lucky, but I knew immediately how to solve most questions. I’d say SOA 326 and ADAPT do a very good job preparation wise for this exam.
SweepingRocks, what level ADAPT would you compare the exam to and/or what was your earned level? **Without getting too specific (see post from previous page).

Thanks!

Last edited by alittlelife; 10-08-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 04:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelife View Post
SweepingRocks, what level ADAPT would you compare the exam to and/or what was your earned level? **Without getting too specific (see post from previous page).

Thanks!
Id say the actual test was around a 5. My EL was 6.96

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Old 10-08-2018, 05:51 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Id say the actual test was around a 5. My EL was 6.96
Thanks for quick response. Feeling cautiously optimistic which is much more than I could have said a few days ago...

Good luck everyone.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:20 PM
SOA

Just took the exam.

Pretty sure my passing score prediction is X ~ uniform distribution[5,7], where X is a discrete R.V.

My prior experience was a 5 on June sitting. What would be the expected score given the prior experience?
Plz someone do the Bayesian prediction for me. I'll give you a fake point for your exam.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:32 AM
SOA

College: UCSD Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariesInAction View Post
Just took the exam.

Pretty sure my passing score prediction is X ~ uniform distribution[5,7], where X is a discrete R.V.

My prior experience was a 5 on June sitting. What would be the expected score given the prior experience?
Plz someone do the Bayesian prediction for me. I'll give you a fake point for your exam.
I think you need a distribution conditioned on a variable parameter to do a bayesian analysis..
Old 10-09-2018, 03:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator1 View Post
This post is borderline, since the CBT testing window is still in progress. It would not be OK to explain how it is like Adapt.
Once the testing window has closed, are we allowed to speak in more detail about the exam? Are we able to talk about specific questions after or is that completely off limits? Thank you

Old 10-09-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Once the testing window has closed, are we allowed to speak in more detail about the exam? Are we able to talk about specific questions after or is that completely off limits? Thank you
The SOA exam conditions, which you had to agree to to be able to take the exam, are that questions cannot ever be disclosed. The questions are reused. So you need to keep any discussion general. For example, providing enough information about a question, including numerical givens, that the answer could be calculated, is not allowed. Providing the question information so completely but using xs and ys instead of numeric values, so that the answer could be determined is terms of x and y, is not allowed. With even less specificity, i.e just saying you had a question about a Pareto distribution with a deductible of 100, probably OK. AO mods dont know the questions on the exam, so we wont know how close any post comes to an actual question. Wee got to go based on how specific it sounds. If the SOA objects to a post, we are likely to delete it.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:06 PM
SOA

Mehhhh I think I’m on the borderline.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:14 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
Mehhhh I think I’m on the borderline.
Same. I found it strange how much the difficulty varied. 15 or so questions that I thought were gimmes but 6 to 8 that I had absolutely no clue on.

I'm guessing I got a five, which I feel okay about given the amount of time I put in. Now we wait.