Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM
djaeyun

Default Strategies for studying for two exams concurrently

Just passed MFE. Was going to take C in June but decided to give myself a bit of time to recoup and relax for a bit and opted to take MLC in November.

I looked at the exam schedule again and saw that C is offered in October and I'm considering taking them both in Oct/Nov. I currently work full-time but I am a year out of college with a double-degree in Mathematics and Management Science, so material is decently fresh in my head.

I've seen here and there people sitting for multiple exams in one month. What are your study strategies? I have 6~7 months until October. Should I completely focus on one first and then the other after? Or just flip flop between the two day by day?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal

Nothing is impossible, but I have heard of people taking both MLC and MFE and ending up with 2 5's. 6 > 5 + 5 . Unless you plan on spending 550 hours combined over the next 6 months, don't take the 2. It's only worth doing it if you know you will actually put the time in.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: ESB

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaeyun View Post
Just passed MFE. Was going to take C in June but decided to give myself a bit of time to recoup and relax for a bit and opted to take MLC in November.

I looked at the exam schedule again and saw that C is offered in October and I'm considering taking them both in Oct/Nov. I currently work full-time but I am a year out of college with a double-degree in Mathematics and Management Science, so material is decently fresh in my head.

I've seen here and there people sitting for multiple exams in one month. What are your study strategies? I have 6~7 months until October. Should I completely focus on one first and then the other after? Or just flip flop between the two day by day?
I would recommend not to do this. Two 5s would be so demoralizing. Get your pass on one then take the next one ~4ish months later. I have a feeling that once you start getting 5s that it leads to a vicious cycle of emotions that creates more 5s.

If you were to decide to do both though this is the strategy I'd take.

1) complete the material for the first exam.
2) complete the material for the second exam while spending 25% of your study time working on things like SOA questions for the first exam
3) spend 4 weeks focusing 100% on practice exams for the first exam.
4) take first exam
5) spend 4 weeks focusing on practice problems/ practice exams for the second exam
6) take second exam

I think your odds go way up if you can take the first exam early in the month and the next exam late in the following month. This would then give you 6ish weeks for step 5.

Exams: P FM MFE C MLC?

Last edited by MathandBikes; 03-22-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathandBikes View Post
I would recommend not to do this. Two 5s would be so demoralizing. Get your pass on one then take the next one ~4ish months later. I have a feeling that once you start getting 5s that it leads to a vicious cycle of emotions that creates more 5s.

If you were to decide to do both though this is the strategy I'd take.

1) complete the material for the first exam.
2) complete the material for the second exam while spending 25% of your study time working on things like SOA questions for the first exam
3) spend 4 weeks focusing 100% on practice exams for the first exam.
4) take first exam
5) spend 4 weeks focusing on practice problems/ practice exams for the second exam
6) take second exam

I think your odds go way up if you can take the first exam early in the month and the next exam late in the following month. This would then give you 6ish weeks for step 5.
I did this for MFE and P when I was studying them concurrently - I could've done P in my sleep in January, but missed the registration deadline and decided to go for MFE and P in March. If I had planned my schedule better, I could've passed MFE (but I did pass P). There's no way I could've tried to start fresh on both of them, and to go through C (which I know nothing about) and MLC (which I know about 80% of the material currently) at the same time sounds like suicide.

If you've had coursework in at least one of these exams and remember the material well, I can see doing C and MLC a possibility. Otherwise, I would advise against it.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: C

Last edited by clarinetist; 03-22-2013 at 11:17 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

number of hours = number of hours * 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 AM
SOA

When I doubled up on FM and C my schedule was essentially:
  • 3 months out for C, start going over the TIA videos and do all the end of section problems (about 2hrs a day)
  • A month before the FM exam, I started studying about 5-6 hours a day for FM, and then an additional hour or two at night for C
  • Week before FM I didn't touch the C material and focused on doing as many FM PEs as possible
  • After FM, I had a week to cram for C and did all the SOA problems and as many PEs as I could muster

Somehow ended up passing both.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Non-Actuary

I have experience taking multiple exams. Here's what I did...

1. Took all parts of CPA in two week span. Studied about 2 months total, spending two weeks per section. Had essentially zero background in acct. (except intro to accounting I & II). Also, I wasn't working at the time, so I could spend a ton of time studying. Passed easily. [for those wondering about eligibility, state of TN allows 200 days to complete acct coursework, so I took 18 hours of acct within 200 days of taking CPA]

2. Took P and FM two weeks apart in early 2012. Studied a month on P, then studied two weeks for FM, took P (9), then studied two weeks for FM (10). Was working full-time, no study hours. Pretty tiring, but successful on these easier exams. Pretty much only background was calculus I & II.

I'm taking C in June and MFE in July. Here's my plan...

February to end of April - study C (done)
April to mid-May - study MFE, while taking two Mahler exams on C a week
Mid-May to mid-June - study C, while taking two Mahler exams on MFE a week
Mid-June - take C
Mid-June to mid-July - study MFE
Mid-July - take MFE

Once again, no study hours, working full-time, no background other than calc I&II/P/FM/MLC. Certainly not overly confident I will pass, but I did get 17/20 on a Mahler exam #2 a few days ago for C, along with getting ~90% on SOA 289.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaeyun View Post

You have about a month in between exams, right? If it was me, I wouldn't start studying for MFE until after you take C. C can be tricky. I would just super cram that month for MFE. Maybe that's just me though. Then you're playing it safe with C. MFE would just be icing on the cake.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED
Favorite beer: Scieoclean

MLC is offered (a third?) less often than MFE and C, so that's why I kind of prioritized MLC. Though I'm starting to get it, so I'm going to spend a little time and consider going full hog for July MFE.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM
SOA

Studying for anything but SOA Exams!
College: UW-Whitewater Alumni
Favorite beer: Samuel Adams or Spotted Cow

I took MFE and MLC at the same time. Tips:

-Make a study schedule
-Work back from the exam date, leaving at least 4 weeks for review and practice exams
-Overestimate work/underestimate time (for example if you have 20 lessons and 9 weeks, shoot for 3 lessons/week instead of 2)
-I usually set my schedule by the week becuase things can happen on a day-to-day basis to get in the way
-Do lots of problems
-Stick to the schedule