Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-17-2012, 06:48 AM
SOA

Default How long does it take to complete FAP course generally??

How long does it take to complete FAP course generally??
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruyff0308 View Post
How long does it take to complete FAP course generally??
It entirely depends on the person. Some people have completed it in about 6 months, others about a year, and many require the extension. If you are only focusing on FAP you should be able to fly through most of it. The key things that slow people down are waiting for the IA/FA grades and then rewriting the IA/FA if they failed.

If you are lazy, it will take you a while. If you are a hard worker, you should be able to finish it in less than a year (even if you are taking exams).
Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 PM
SOA

so trying to complete FAP in 2 months is not an easy task then?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 AM

Favorite beer: Mountain Dew

2 months is impossible, you won't get assessments back fast enough. Typical turnaround on the modules is 7 weeks and you need to finish 1-5 before you can submit the IA and all before you submit the FA. I think IA and FA assessments are running about 9 weeks.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroman View Post
2 months is impossible, you won't get assessments back fast enough. Typical turnaround on the modules is 7 weeks and you need to finish 1-5 before you can submit the IA and all before you submit the FA. I think IA and FA assessments are running about 9 weeks.

I'm all for trying to push your limits but two months is incredibly unrealistic. The IA grading alone is around 7 weeks and the FA is about 4 weeks. Without even including work on the modules themselves you are already at about 3 months.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:07 PM
SOA

So each of the 8 modules takes about 7 weeks to grade? Can you do multiple at one time? I can't imagine you needing to pass the first before moving onto the second, for example. Would it be in my best interest to Start the modules as I'm studying for my last exam? I don't really like doubling up on studying for exams, but I feel like this is different, yea?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM
SOA

Studying for golf

The only requirements are you can't start a new module until you submitted the previous exercise and you can't start your FA until your IA MMR.

As for "doubling up", it should be fine during the initial studying, but you should probably drop all FAP for the last stretch before the exam. No point in getting caught up with something that has no real time limit if it might cost you a chance to pass something only offered 2 or 3 times a year.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:19 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical Neuroticism View Post
The only requirements are you can't start a new module until you submitted the previous exercise and you can't start your FA until your IA MMR.

As for "doubling up", it should be fine during the initial studying, but you should probably drop all FAP for the last stretch before the exam. No point in getting caught up with something that has no real time limit if it might cost you a chance to pass something only offered 2 or 3 times a year.
I agree. One 6 is better than a 5 and a DNMMR.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM & FAP
College: 2009 Business & Actuarial Science Graduate

Hey,

What about the time frame to finish all the FAP requirements? this is without getting the results back? Is 3-4 months possible?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLee View Post
Hey,

What about the time frame to finish all the FAP requirements? this is without getting the results back? Is 3-4 months possible?
if you mean without counting grading lag, then yes, 3-4 months is easily doable.