Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:28 PM
CAS

Default Agile development in insurance

A few people in my department are floating around the concept of agile development. I've searched online to learn more, but I still have a hard time understanding what this means in practice.

Does anyone have experience with agile methods?
Old 09-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

FWIW, all I know is that it seems to be more of an IT thing.

Ask me in a year, and I'll likely know more.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Linear Optimization/Programming, Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Old 09-25-2016, 05:11 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

This falls under project management, which comes with its own massive tomes of literature and professional licensing exams.

Traditional project management means that you have set goals and clearly defined project milestones. "We're going to accomplish A in 1 month. B in 2 months, and C in 3 months." Then the project is complete.

Agile project management is an iterative approach where stakeholders reconvene at regular intervals and evaluate the milestones, which are subject to change. "We're going to accomplish A in 1 month. B in 2 months, and C in 3 months, but after we accomplish A, let's reconvene and see if B and C still need to be done as planed or if market conditions change, we may decide to carry out D and E instead of B and C."

There are pros and cons of each approach, traditional being the easiest to deliver and most straightforward but also running the risk of not adapting to changing conditions, which means you might deliver something that is not appropriate for customer needs by the end of the project. The latter is more adaptive to changing conditions but that runs the risk of you never finishing up your project because you're always chasing the next big thing (think about the Duke Nukem game which never really got finished and led its company to bankruptcy).

Anyway, there are other frameworks like XPM but it's all in the literature. You might want to check out PMBOK to learn more but I have to warn you it's very time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 09-25-2016 at 05:17 PM..
Old 09-26-2016, 12:39 AM
CAS

Thanks! This is a useful way of thinking about it
Old 09-27-2016, 01:09 AM
CAS AAA

College: Indiana University
Favorite beer: Becks

In my experience, you don't see a lot of true agile development in the insurance industry. You see a lot of lip service paid to it, but it does not actually happen.

Insurance entities have fairly rigid budget and planning processes that conflict with the design ideas behind agile development. We tend to be waterfall development organizations at the end of the day.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:59 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

In practice it basically means instead of a linear progression through a project where you can't start on the next step until X is complete, delaying any final deliverable until all the problems are solved, you aim to provide an initial deliverable quickly and then keep releasing new versions of the deliverable as further improvements have been made. It involves constant communication and quick improvements. Lots of coordination is required.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:28 PM

In lieu of actually getting stuff done, you have a lot of meetings.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 PM
CAS

It's meetings all the way down
Old 09-30-2016, 12:59 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Agile is in contrast to waterfall

Waterfall is: All planning > all development > all testing > release
- this is a sensible process if publishing a release is a difficult and time consuming process. Think software distribution in the 90s: you have to print boxes of disks and ship them to retail stores, consumers have to buy and install them. No internet to download updates.
- or think NASA missions, you only get 1 chance to send a rover and can't enhance it once it's in space. Better have 0 bugs.

Agile emerged because software distribution is near-instantaneous now. The typical web start-up model of "get something to consumers, improve it as you go along"

Agile Cycle (AC): identify customer needs > plan cycle's features > development features > test features > release cycle
Agile Development: AC1 > customer feedback > AC2 > customer feedback > AC3 > etc...

The benefit is your subsequent development can be dictated by customer feedback.

Agile cycles typically last a few weeks. So in 2 years you may have 20-30 cycles. In contrast to Waterfall you would work for 2 years and release once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 09-30-2016, 01:01 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

This is just off the top of my head, and may not be using the precise agile lingo. Buy a book to get the agile terms. Scrums and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary