Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:03 PM
SOA

Other reason for pcmasterrace, I can put a ton of array formulas and if()/vlookup()/whatever excel things I want and I don't get bogged down! (Curse you, corporate frugality)
Old 08-22-2018, 01:48 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
How often do you guys upgrade PC parts?
Do you guys ever get a bigger/better PC chasis?

I'm asking these questions because I want to build a computer that I know it can last and stay up to date in terms of performance. I feel like new graphics card, for example, come out once 1 to 2 years. Would the previous ones feel outdated when playing newer games that demand more power?
No, not unless you're obsessive about graphics. I think 'normal' gamers update their PCs about as often as they buy new consoles.

I don't recommend building a PC btw, unless you want to see what's under the hood. It's a bunch of hassle for very little savings, unless you are really obsessive about rebates and questionable versions of Windows.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 08-22-2018 at 01:52 PM..
Old 08-22-2018, 01:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I don't recommend building a PC btw, unless you want to see what's under the hood. It's a bunch of hassle for very little savings, unless you are really obsessive about rebates and questionable versions of Windows.
I'd disagree. I haven't ever seen a pre-built PC where I said 'that's a good balance of performance in all parts and reasonably priced'

It's always something like 'oh, it has a good processor and graphics card, but the SSD is only 128GB, or there is no SSD, or there's practically no airflow/adequate cooling, or the RAM is slow/not enough.' If I do ever see a well-built PC with the balance I would expect, it's somewhere around 25-50% marked up.

*ETA- As for the hassle of building it, I won't deny that it takes time and practice and it's stressful the first time, but it's very satisfying. I'm very proud of the builds I've done, and I take it as a sort of hobby. However, I totally understand if people don't want to bother with the assembly; there are places like Fry's Electronics that offer an assembly service for something like $50-70 IIRC and you just bring in your parts.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
No, not unless you're obsessive about graphics. I think 'normal' gamers update their PCs about as often as they buy new consoles.

Putting it together is a lot of the appeal for me. I know it'd be easier to just buy a top line PC, but I want to know what's inside. I also don't think I'd ever open up and upgrade a PC I bought, if I built it myself I'd be much more comfortable replacing parts later.

I love how quickly a console buying thread turned into a PC building thread. May start new thread on a later date for advice if I actually motivate myself to do some research.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:14 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
I'd disagree. I haven't ever seen a pre-built PC where I said 'that's a good balance of performance in all parts and reasonably priced'

It's always something like 'oh, it has a good processor and graphics card, but the SSD is only 128GB, or there is no SSD, or there's practically no airflow/adequate cooling, or the RAM is slow/not enough.' If I do ever see a well-built PC with the balance I would expect, it's somewhere around 25-50% marked up.

*ETA- As for the hassle of building it, I won't deny that it takes time and practice and it's stressful the first time, but it's very satisfying. I'm very proud of the builds I've done, and I take it as a sort of hobby. However, I totally understand if people don't want to bother with the assembly; there are places like Fry's Electronics that offer an assembly service for something like $50-70 IIRC and you just bring in your parts.
Well, judging by your avatar, you definitely know more than I do here.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Well, judging by your avatar, you definitely know more than I do here.
she's my pride and joy. I might just be a little obsessed...
Old 08-22-2018, 02:19 PM
SOA

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=318840 Here is my old thread if you wanna keep going with PC build stuff (or make your own thread, posting in case the thread helps at all)
Old 08-22-2018, 02:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
Here's a link to my last two builds: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/djpimmy/builds/
I want to marry your computer.

I might reach out to you for some PC help in the near future. Still in the planning/researching stage of my pc. Just waiting to make some more money to buy.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliere View Post
I want to marry your computer.

I might reach out to you for some PC help in the near future. Still in the planning/researching stage of my pc. Just waiting to make some more money to buy.
Thanks lol. I think my build cost an extra $200 or so just for aesthetics and brand loyalty. Worth every penny IMO.

And yeah, start a parts list on pcpartpicker, feel free to DM or post for suggestions or recommendations. First questions you need to answer are 'what's my budget' and 'what do I need to run, and how well'. I got a 144 hz monitor, which I absolutely love, but obviously running something on max settings at 144 fps is more taxing than running it at 60, and I'm just sticking on 1080p, not up to 1440 or 4k.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
How often do you guys upgrade PC parts?
Do you guys ever get a bigger/better PC chasis?

I'm asking these questions because I want to build a computer that I know it can last and stay up to date in terms of performance. I feel like new graphics card, for example, come out once 1 to 2 years. Would the previous ones feel outdated when playing newer games that demand more power?
My experience is that if I try to skimp on cost initially, I end up paying more down the road. If you have a decent budget upfront, you can last 3-4 years (maybe more) without upgrading. RGB extends that a year or two. In my last build, I was trying to squeeze more power into a smaller mini-ITX chassis. Generally I get the itch to build a new system long before the current rig can't handle games.