Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-01-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post

Anyway, let me know if you have questions about doing the build itself or picking out parts. You can definitely build yourself a beast for $1.5k

I did this earlier this year. I spent a lot more than $1500. I wouldn't say it was a "money is no object" build, but rather "where is the sweet spot on the performance to price ratio on each component" build.

Off the top of my head:
100 case
90 power supply (gold)
100 Windows
350 i7 processor - overclockable (4700k I think?)
600 netgear 1080 gpu
125 asus gaming motherboard
265 1TB SSD
65 keyboard & mouse
50 LG dvd rewriter
65 liquid cooling- cooler master
60 misc; fans, thermal compound, a cable or 2
200 16GB memory sticks
50 network card and antennae

and I added these expenses, which were outside the "computer" build
225 4k Samsung TV as a monitor
160 gigabit router
125 new docsis 3.1 modem (or whatever the latest standard is)
400 Oculus rift; why do this and not get one?

I guess that is about 3k right there.

You can go cheaper on any or all of the components. But I figured if I had wanted to go mid tier or lower I would have gone with an off the shelf, pre-made from a store. But I shopped and made an informed decision on every single component.

My 18 year old son did virtually all of the assembly.

There are lots of good websites giving advice on ways to deploy your budget. PCPARTPICKER .com is great
Old 11-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Helpful. I'm still torn between buying something off the shelf or having my cousin set it up for me.

Will try to get my laptop specs and post them here. When I bought it a year ago, I bought one with the goal of gaming. So in terms of what you can get from Best Buy, it is pretty good.

And as a result, works pretty well most of the time. I feel like there is minor performance issues, but think it's probably related to the internet. And occasionally there are bad blips/delays, but that is almost assuredly internet or server issues.

I am going to look into how to get a wired connection. Will check out the power adapter, or understand if I can link into a phone jack.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Helpful. I'm still torn between buying something off the shelf or having my cousin set it up for me.

Will try to get my laptop specs and post them here. When I bought it a year ago, I bought one with the goal of gaming. So in terms of what you can get from Best Buy, it is pretty good.

And as a result, works pretty well most of the time. I feel like there is minor performance issues, but think it's probably related to the internet. And occasionally there are bad blips/delays, but that is almost assuredly internet or server issues.

I am going to look into how to get a wired connection. Will check out the power adapter, or understand if I can link into a phone jack.

FWIW I don't see too much of a difference between wired and wireless now that I have a hotshot router. I have tested them both, with the wire just being an ethernet cable run across the floor. I don't notice much difference.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
I did this earlier this year. I spent a lot more than $1500. I wouldn't say it was a "money is no object" build, but rather "where is the sweet spot on the performance to price ratio on each component" build.

There are lots of good websites giving advice on ways to deploy your budget. PCPARTPICKER .com is great
Sounds a lot like my build
Old 11-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Non-Actuary

Another reason to go wired: You live with other people using wireless devices on the same network.

Whatever bandwidth your wifi router (or access point) is capable of in your environment is shared between the wifi devices in use. The wired throughput is generally much higher.

Simultaneous wireless devices also create signal collisions that result in packets frequently having to be re-sent, therefore increasing latency.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:13 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Any recommendations on free, easy to use, cloning software?

I want to swap out a 750GB HDD for a 1TB one on my cheapy travel laptop. I tried EaseUS Todo Backup Home and after 15 hours of "cloning" the new drive won't boot. Before I try again I thought I'd see if there was something better.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Non-Actuary

Minitool Partition Wizard. It can clone to a smaller or larger drive than the original (smaller only if the used space fits in the smaller size).

But before you clone, check if you have Secure Boot or Bitlocker enabled. Either can cause a cloned disk to fail to boot, particularly if the cloning software is "smart" (only cloning used space) and doesn't do a brute-force bit-for-bit copy of the partitions.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

I know I don't have BitLocker, but I'll check on Secure Boot. If it's on and I turn it off, is it worth retrying the cloned disk?

EDIT -- Secure Boot is unsupported on my machine, so it's not that.

Last edited by Arroway; 11-12-2018 at 01:33 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Another tip, given that you'll be using unfamiliar cloning software:

If you have more than about 50GB of data, copy it elsewhere using regular file copy, then delete it from the drive that will be cloned. That way the cloning process takes less time, so you can retry the clone without waiting for hours at every attempt. Then once the clone is successful, copy the files back to where you want them.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:41 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Hmm, keeps bombing because C: is being used, but that's because Minitool is on C:. I guess I need to install it on a USB and run it from there.