Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-08-2018, 06:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
Is 1ms really necessary for gaming? Can I live with 4 or 5 MS if I can save $100?

Is it possible my samsung TV is giving me 300 to 400ms latency on my xbox. I can just tell there is something wildly wrong when I play Fortnite, and I have a new gigabit modem and router setup, so I am hoping that the lag is not coming from them. Also, the self tests on the xbox tell me my latency is acceptable at like 30 to 50ms, but it feels like I am a good quarter second or more off in head to head battles. If the TV is very latent, I will try using a monitor so I don't suck as badly as I do now.
I remember back in the days of Guitar Hero you had to calibrate your TV and gaming controller. I assume it is something similar in this case, where you just have input lag with your TV that should be somewhat fixable.

As for 5 ms making a difference or not, it depends how serious/competitive you are. Sure it can make a difference. Will it make a big difference for me going from a 2ms to 1ms monitor, probably not noticeably (although the 60 Hz to 144 Hz will).
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 PM
CAS

Input lag on a good display is typically anywhere from 15ms-30ms, which is approximately 1-2 frames @ 60Hz. When displays advertise response times (1-2ms) that is only a small part of input lag. Anything more than 2 frames will definitely throw you off if you play any competitive game requiring split-second reactions.

Most manufacturers don't directly advertise how laggy a monitor is, so you have to go to external websites to find this information.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Costco has a an Asus monitor for 289 plus tax, (shipped). @ 24.5", 144mhz, 1ms
Have you ever heard about this phenomenon where manufacturers intentionally remove features from products to sell them in wholesale retail stores so people think they are getting a good deal, when they a really just buying a damaged good?

Costco strategy in a nutshell. Guarantee the exact tag for that monitor can't be found elsewhere.

-Riley
Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 AM
CAS

Quote:
Is 1ms really necessary for gaming? Can I live with 4 or 5 MS if I can save $100?

Is it possible my samsung TV is giving me 300 to 400ms latency on my xbox. I can just tell there is something wildly wrong when I play Fortnite, and I have a new gigabit modem and router setup, so I am hoping that the lag is not coming from them. Also, the self tests on the xbox tell me my latency is acceptable at like 30 to 50ms, but it feels like I am a good quarter second or more off in head to head battles. If the TV is very latent, I will try using a monitor so I don't suck as badly as I do now.
If your tv has a "game mode", use it. Some manufacturers have the dedicated game mode that is much lower input lag than standard tv modes. For instance, look at the difference in these tvs inside and outside game mode.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

I see you said Samsung. Yeah, make sure it's in game mode.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

So I built my PC around 3 years ago and am looking to upgrade a few parts this year. How can you tell what the bottlenecks are and what to replace first?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:17 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
So I built my PC around 3 years ago and am looking to upgrade a few parts this year. How can you tell what the bottlenecks are and what to replace first?
Some good tools at https://pcpartpicker.com/

Or post the specs here and we can mock help you.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:34 AM
CAS SOA

(Lack of) SSD is the #1 giant bottleneck, so if you don't have that already, that's your first step.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
Have you ever heard about this phenomenon where manufacturers intentionally remove features from products to sell them in wholesale retail stores so people think they are getting a good deal, when they a really just buying a damaged good?

Costco strategy in a nutshell. Guarantee the exact tag for that monitor can't be found elsewhere.

-Riley
I am familiar with the phenomenon, and I believe in it. That's why I havn't bought anything from Sears in 20 years.

I don't think Costco plays that game. Their return policy is too generous to allow for lowered quality goods.

What is there in a computer monitor that can be tempered for performance or quality, given that I believe the specs on latency, refresh rate, screen size, and resolution?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

That can help, but depends on your system. I think there are some stress tests you can do, maybe look up on youtube about it. As mentioned before, just posting your specs / a pcpartpicker link to your build will let us give our opinions at least
Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
I am familiar with the phenomenon, and I believe in it. That's why I havn't bought anything from Sears in 20 years.

I don't think Costco plays that game. Their return policy is too generous to allow for lowered quality goods.

What is there in a computer monitor that can be tempered for performance or quality, given that I believe the specs on latency, refresh rate, screen size, and resolution?
Serious question. Why start a search for a quality computer monitor at Costco? Is the quality of the monitor less important than the quality of the perceived deal?

-Riley