Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:31 PM

Default Automating Azure ML Experiments Execution

Dear friends,

I created a forecasting model in R using Microsoft Azure Machine Learning Studio. However, I would like to automate the execution of the experiments so that I dont have to manually sign in Azure ML Studio and hit the run button.

Anyone here has any idea of how to automate azure ml experiment execution?

Any help and/or guidance will be greatly appreciated,

Best regards,

Paul
Old 06-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbernal View Post
Dear friends,

I created a forecasting model in R using Microsoft Azure Machine Learning Studio. However, I would like to automate the execution of the experiments so that I dont have to manually sign in Azure ML Studio and hit the run button.

Anyone here has any idea of how to automate azure ml experiment execution?

Any help and/or guidance will be greatly appreciated,

Best regards,

Paul
So I don't use Microsoft Azure ML (although I've seen the GUI with the drag and drop models and it makes me cringe), but I might be able to help.

I guess my first question is if you're writing it in R, why does it have to be in Azure? You should be able to connect to the databases, fit your model, and predict all from R, which should eliminate your need to connect to Azure.

If it must remain in Azure, surely they have some scheduling service for you to update/run at any given time or in specific increments. I did a quick search and found this: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/scheduler/

Again, not sure how the product structure works for Azure, but if you have access to this then I'm sure the answer lies there and you should investigate more. Otherwise, you could write something that signs into Azure for you and clicks the go button, but that feels inefficient if the scheduler above exists for you.

-Riley
Old 06-26-2018, 04:27 PM
Non-Actuary

How long does the process of logging and and clicking run actually take you?
Old 06-26-2018, 05:55 PM

15 mins approx. The thing is that I want to operationalize the whole experiment. I need to create a job that fires execution of the experiment with a certain frequency (once every 24 hours, once a month, once every 3 months, etc.).

My goal is to automate execution of the Azure ML model/experiment.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
How long does the process of logging and and clicking run actually take you?
15 mins approx. The thing is that I want to operationalize the whole experiment. I need to create a job that fires execution of the experiment with a certain frequency (once every 24 hours, once a month, once every 3 months, etc.).

My goal is to automate execution of the Azure ML model/experiment.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:14 AM
CAS

You could have an Azure CLI script that runs the experiment and try to automate that, e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ure-cli-script

Why do you need ML studio for what you're doing? In other words, does it accomplish something that running R on Azure doesn't?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinykuo View Post
You could have an Azure CLI script that runs the experiment and try to automate that, e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ure-cli-script

Why do you need ML studio for what you're doing? In other words, does it accomplish something that running R on Azure doesn't?
Dear friend Kevinykuo,

I could do the exact same thing in R, or R Studio or directly in Azure ML Studio. The company, however, has lots of Microsoft Applications (Azure SQL Server, Azure ML Studio, Power BI, etc.).

I can go ahead and run what I have directly in Azure ML Studio, however, what I want to do is to create a job that executes my experiments on a certain schedule, without me having to sign in Azure ML and manually hitting the Run button.

I want to make experiment execution automatic, I want to create some sort of activity that triggers the automatic execution of existing experiments, why? Because we are working on some other projects that require this to operate that way.