Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 08-01-2018, 06:35 PM
SOA AAA

Default "Sharp Objects" on HBO

Anyone watching this?

My only complaint is the bouncing back and forth in time. I'm used to the "ghosts" of the past appearing in the present, but the 3rd episode had a story about Amy Adams character put into an ER psych ward observation tank. Apparently this happened in the in-between time. With no viewer notification. (My wife looked it up on the internet.)

Otherwise, it's pretty good. Not enough nudity, though. Amy is above that, apparently.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:19 AM
CAS

+1

it's a good show. i think her finding music from the other chick was the notification of when it was taking place
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Non-Actuary

g-lassie and I love this show and had no issue identifying the timelines. Maybe we've watched enough Westworld that this isn't a problem anymore

Man, as good as Amy Adams is (as an actress I mean, although ), someone give Patricia Clarkson an Emmy for this. I don't know if I've ever hated a character as much as the mom, she absolutely crushes her role in this show. Not sure whether I should spoiler things in this thread, but I have some thoughts and theories about what's going on.

Also, anyone know how many episodes there are in this? It's called an "HBO limited series" so I'm thinking it's only one season and probably not more than 6-8 eps.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 AM
CAS

I believe it's 8 episodes.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 08-02-2018, 11:05 AM
SOA AAA

I'd rather not read the theories. There is a book that it's based on already. I have not read it, will probably read after the show is over.

Yeah, that mom is hateful as f***.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:44 PM
SOA AAA

Wow. Not sure if everyone is caught up or not, so I'll keep to myself.
This week's episode (7 of 8) was a doozy.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Wow. Not sure if everyone is caught up or not, so I'll keep to myself.
This week's episode (7 of 8) was a doozy.

Spoiler:
I was cringing the entire time they were in the motel. wtf is wrong with her. I think i zoned out a bit during it though. So, the mother killed the 2 girls because MBP?
Spoiler:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-22-2018, 02:42 PM
SOA AAA

Spoiler:
She connects with him because they are both grieving their dead sisters, both feeling somehow responsible.

Wondering when they'll get around to how the annual rape-a-cheerleader festival connects with all this.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Non-Actuary

Besides the acting and directing being great, I can't really put my finger on what I enjoy so much about this show. But I do. A lot. I can't wait to see what is revealed in the finale.

I don't think the killer is who is spoiled above, that just seems too obvious.

Spoiler:

I originally thought Amma might be the killer, because she always seemed so self-serving, depending on what she wanted at the moment. I'm not sure this is the case anymore. I can't wait to see the fireworks though when Camille gets home.

Other unresolved question: how did the blood get into John's girlfriend's room under the couch? Is she maybe the killer, jealous of John's sister?
Old 08-22-2018, 03:14 PM
SOA AAA

I think John's gf just wants the spotlight as the stick-to-her-man-even-though-he's-a-killer crap.
"I can't leave him now; I'd look like such a bitch."

Sounds like a similar story of needing to be needed as Adora's.