Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
Jeez. If I'm paying 3M for a car it better drive itself AND go back to the future
You should watch one of the videos on how the oil is changed on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:43 AM
CAS

Quote:
Jeez. If I'm paying 3M for a car it better drive itself AND go back to the future
It also costs $20k for an oil change.

eta: damn you CS
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 08-07-2018, 10:45 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
It's kinda like watching one of those videos of star size comparison. You thought the Sun was big? noooo there is a bigger star....you thought that was big? there is even a bigger one! and so on.
You keep making a point that I don't think anyone has missed
Old 08-07-2018, 10:46 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
You should watch one of the videos on how the oil is changed on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
It also costs $20k for an oil change.

eta: damn you CS
I'm surprised you even change the oil. Single use supercars
Old 08-07-2018, 10:50 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Wasn't the first bugatti $5 million a few years ago?
Also, I heard these cars are limited in supply ( around 200 made?) so to buy one, you'd have to be handpicked by the maker based on some criteria I have no idea about.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:23 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders33 View Post
One of my main points is that I don't think the next generation of actuaries will develop this sort of jaded outlook because they won't be spoiled by salaries like I've been.

For me, I live in a low cola area, wfh, no management headaches, 40 hours, and I would take this for 200k any day over a more stressful job at 300.
Out of curiousity... what is your definition of “the next generation of actuaries”?

Several of my FSA peers and I are right around the $200k mark +/- $25k with around 10 years in life/annuities. Some work in consulting, some work for small insurers, some for larger insurers. I think most of us average about 45 hour weeks, have flexibility to work from home, and we all live in lower COL midwestern cities.

I don’t say this boastfully, I’m just curious which generation you’re referring to? You’re in your 50’s and we’re in our late 20’s and early 30’s. From my perspective we are the next generation of actuaries and there is still a talent shortage within the experienced/credentialed candidate pool. Sure entry level is a bit saturated, but this was the story 5+ years ago and I still don’t know a single FSA who can’t find a job if they’re willing to relocate.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
You keep making a point that I don't think anyone has missed
Well, at least one poster has missed it.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:41 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders33 View Post
Unless you are absolutely brilliant and a little lucky, I would tell you to prepare to be depressed when you get to my age.

I know there's salary surveys out there, but just based on my job, my close peers/friends, and jobs I've looked at, I would say that an fcas with 30 years experience who is still a "working actuary" is probably making between 200-250 and working pretty hard for it.

Those in this boat who are making more have probably risen into exec ranks or at least a chief actuary type role with 10ish or more direct reports.

So if you want more, I would tell you to do whatever it takes to get on an exec track, start managing as early as you can, work on leadership-y type skills etc

But I do want to add a general observation. One I had before this thread but this thread confirms it: many younger actuaries are totally unrealistic about what your likely salary ceiling will be. I actually talked to a college kid the other day, son of my neighbor who is act sci, who said "I hear actuaries your age make 4 to 5 hundred grand". I was like lol would I be living here if I made 500 grand.

I mean, it can happen, if you get the big job, but you gotta get on that track early, and even if you do, there's a crapload of other brilliant insurance professionals who will be competing for that big job.
I think we're actually not talking apples to apples here. You're talking 225k in today's Dollars today, I'm talking 225k in today's Dollars decades from now.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:48 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPatron View Post
Out of curiousity... what is your definition of “the next generation of actuaries”?

Several of my FSA peers and I are right around the $200k mark +/- $25k with around 10 years in life/annuities. Some work in consulting, some work for small insurers, some for larger insurers. I think most of us average about 45 hour weeks, have flexibility to work from home, and we all live in lower COL midwestern cities.

I don’t say this boastfully, I’m just curious which generation you’re referring to? You’re in your 50’s and we’re in our late 20’s and early 30’s. From my perspective we are the next generation of actuaries and there is still a talent shortage within the experienced/credentialed candidate pool. Sure entry level is a bit saturated, but this was the story 5+ years ago and I still don’t know a single FSA who can’t find a job if they’re willing to relocate.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPatron View Post

Several of my FSA peers and I are right around the $200k mark +/- $25k with around 10 years in life/annuities.
I see the same. Midwest, Life.

I also think that fellowship is harder to obtain now than it has ever been. Sure, the exams are computerized and offered more frequently, but they are harder. Older actuaries always say that we have it easier ... Im not sure about the rest of you, but it took 4 exams, a masters and significant programming skills for me to obtain a job in the 2011 - 2012 season.

My boss told me he got his first job straight out of undergrad with 0 exams in the 1980's.

Last edited by Fracktuary; 08-07-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Tags
nice humblebrag